GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are in the market for a new Acadia. Her biggest thing is the rear DVD system and 2nd row bucket seats. Thing is the DVD system is like a $2100 option, which I feel is way too much for what you're getting. Here's the deal. I built an SLE with all the options that a regular SLT had with the 2nd row captain's chairs and the DVD system. The price difference between the two was about $3100. I can live without leather, although it is nice to have. My question is are there any other differences in the SLE and SLT other than the leather when you max the options out on the SLE? Also, for those that have the SLE, is there any difference in comfort between the cloth and leather seating? And finally, in regards to the rear DVD, is it really worth the money? I was thinking I could have a heck of an aftermarket system put in for half that. Any help/opinions are much appreciated since these things carry a hefty price tag and most dealers aren't cutting any deals around here other than a $500 rebate.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have an SLE and the cloth seats are comfortable. I had leather in my Z71 suburban I traded in on the Acadia and the cloth is nice, it comes down more to a personal prefence than anything else. I just had an aftermarket flip down DVD installed in the Acadia last week. It cost me a grand. Thats a lot better than the factory price. The only options I got on the Acadia is the Bose speakers and the convenience package which has the back up sensors and the remote start. I guess it just comes down to your preference on what options you really want. One thing I will recommend though is if you want a towing package get it from the factory and do not try to install one on your own later. If you want to know why read through the threads about adding on the towing package. :cheers:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't need the towing package as I have several pickups if I need to tow anything. Then one nice thing about the factory DVD is that it would be run thru the speakers, but I'm sure you could achieve the same thing with an aftermarket.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The aftermarket DVD has an FM modulator, so you can set it to a FM channel not used in your area and the DVD player broadcasts it on that frequency so you can listen to it on your stereo or through the wireless headphones if you want some peace while the kids are watching a show.

·
Registered
156 Posts
SLT has Polished Wheels vs SLE has Wheels that are painted silver
SLT has Leather vs SLE Cloth
SLT has DIC(Trip computer) vs SLE doesn't
SLT has heated front seats vs SLE doesn't
SLT has better radio (6-disc) vs SLE Single Disc (unless you get that 2100 Entertainment pkg then they will both have the same radio)
SLT has Automatic Climate Control vs SLE doesn't have unless you add the Entertinment pkg that you think isn't worth the money

SLT offers power lift gate as an option vs SLE option is not offered.

Really for the 2100 Entertainment pkg you get the DVD, and Bose System, and triclimate control (which we have learned that this is a nice feature) so it not just a dvd player. Remember if you go aftermarket and have someone replace your 10 speakers, they are going to have to take all your inside panels off, and from my expericnce, after you take them off and put them back...they squeek and rattle for the next 100,000 miles :banghead: Is the DVD over priced...probably. But the DVD package on the SLE is 2100 and the DVD package SLT is only 1200. So GM thinks the DVD is worth 1200 and the other options that come in the package are worth 900. The SLT DVD package is cheaper because the $900 options are already installed. If you want the other options (bose/triclimate) and the DVD player, then you can think of it as the DVD is $1200, dfrank78 said he just paid $1k for a DVD, $1200 factory vs $1000 aftermarket isn't that much difference!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for the replies. I didn't know there was that many differences. I didn't realize also the wheels between the two models were different too.

·
Registered
428 Posts
youre not quite right about all that. My SLE has the automatic climate control and the 6 disk CD changer with the bost speakers. Only options on my vehicle are the convenience package and the bose speakers

·
Registered
158 Posts
The one thing that forced us into the SLT-2 was the driver's seat memory. That was a must-have feature.

·
Registered
156 Posts
dfrank78 said:
youre not quite right about all that. My SLE has the automatic climate control and the 6 disk CD changer with the bost speakers. Only options on my vehicle are the convenience package and the bose speakers
Humm, I see you have an 08 just like mine. Did you order yours or buy it off the lot? Never seen on on the lot like that. No way to configure it like that that I am able to find. When you configure you get the option to add the "ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE" on the SLE its $2055 and on the SLT its $1295 on the SLE it adds the bose and the triclimate which is standard on the SLT...so that is the price diff. I believe you when you say you got the bose and triclimate without the dvd, I have just never seen one and wasn't even aware you could order it like that.

FYI: While i was looking this up i remembered another one, but I think you already added it to your SLE that was $3100 cheaper.
SLT has PREFERRED PKG Standard VS SLE is $560 option (This includes: 6-way power driver seat, 2-way power front passenger seat and leather-wrapped steering wheel with redundant audio controls)

·
Registered
428 Posts
I bought the vehicle off the lot. When the wife gets home today I will get the window sticker out of the glovebox and post exactly what the Acadia has as I was trying to do it from memory. I do have the preferred group because I have the leather wrapped steering wheel and the radio controls on the wheel with the power seats. I will have to look at the sticker again, but I do remember that the price on the sticker more than 30 but less than 31. I will post the exact options this afternoon

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought an '08 SLE (with just the preferred/conv. package) for my wife and have had some buyer's remorse. We were somewhat in a hurry to purchase since my wife had totalled her previous car and we purchased without too much research (something I know better than to do...). Here's my thoughts on some of the popular options:

1. Navigation. I wanted it, wife thought we could do with. She got lost two days after buying the car. I would definitely get this if I had it to do over again.

2. Auto climate control. I have this in my yukon and never realized how much I liked it until we didn't have it in the acadia. Also, upgrading to the full DIC requires Auto Climate Control. My SLE has the limited DIC. Full DIC is another thing I have in my yukon that I didn't realize I liked so much.

3. 6-disc changer. Single disc is a pain.

4. Auto lift gate. Not sure I would need this, but nice to have.

5. Heated seats. We have cloth seats which, in my opinion, don't require heat the way leather does. I have heated leather in my yukon and almost never use it.

6. Leather seats. The cloth seats are pretty comfortable and I don't really miss having leather.

7. Driver's seat memory. My wife and I are almost the same size, so we don't need to change seating configurations. I can imagine if two people are different sizes, this would be a must.

8. Second row captain's seats. I thought this was something I would have to have since I have three kids in car seats, but we ended up with the second row bench. My yukon has the captain's seats and the two older kids sit in the third row with the younger in the second row. However, the acadia is wide enough that we can fit all three in the second row giving us a ton of storage space with the third row down. Also, when the need arises, the smart slide allows very easy access to the third row. It's nice that I can fit more people comfortably in my acadia than in my yukon xl.

I hope this helps a little. Nice that you are doing research before buying.

Brian

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't need to the navigation. I live in a very rural area and rarely go to a big city, but it definately is a nice feature. I'm glad to hear the cloth seats are fairly comfy. I think I've kind of decided on an SLE if we go with the DVD and other upgrades, but without the DVD I think I'll lean towards the SLT. My problem is that no one around these parts will deal off sticker at all. I live in western Kansas close to the Oklahoma panhandle. Pretty much sticker minus $500 rebate (if that). I'm not used to dealing with that. Last pickup I bought they knocked off $9000 from the sticker. I know these are popular right now so there won't be any smokin deals, but should I expect the dealer to knock some off? Or is it kind of a regional thing? I read on the buy/lease forum it looked like some were getting several thousand off or paying invoice. The local dealer I talked to last night said it would be hard to find an Acadia because of the worker strike, so that doesn't help my bargaining chips. Do you think in 6 months or so there will be some deals? Or should I buy now? I see that Chevy is making the Traverse and I keep thinking if they flood the market with these things we'll eventually see some deals. Thanks for the replies guys.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Doodle, go buy from another dealer. Right now you can buy an '08 Acadia for invoice from almost any dealer except your dealer it seams, and at many places for below invoice. Tell your dealer that you WILL NOT pay more than invoice for an '08, and they can sell it to you at that price or you will go somewhere else to buy it, and be willing to do that. They are ripping you off if they are trying to sell you an '08 at MSRP! I paid invoice for my '09 that I have on order. While it is true that the Acadia is one of Gm's best selling vehicles, there are still plenty of them out there. Even if you have to drive 100 miles to get to another dealer, the guy you are talking to, is not the only deal out there. You can always call around or go on the Internet and get a MUCH better deal than what they are offering. For what they are wanting to charge you for a SLE, you can buy a SLT at another dealer. Don't forget, that the economy and thus car sales has slowed down. I have friends and family members that are in the car business, and right now business is really bad. So don't let this yahoo tell you that there aren't any Acadias out there. Also just because you buy at a dealer that is not close to you, doesn't mean you cant get it serviced locally.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As I've been doing more research I'm finding out that I should probably start looking around the area to see what's out there. The only problem is the specific one I want is a few hundred miles away at another dealer, so they'd have to go get and etc. I really haven't actually sat down and negociated with the dealer yet, just discussed some things. I would think a fully loaded SLE wouldn't be a hot ticket item. Most people would probably just opt for the SLT. But the wifey wants the DVD so I'm leaning towards a loaded SLE. I did some research on Edmunds and it looks like they ought to come down at least $1500-2000 off sticker plus the $500 rebate. The one I'm looking at stickers for $34,035 and the invoice on Edmunds was $31499. So There's some room to work. I don't mind giving them a little if they have to go get it, because it saves me the hassle, but I probably need to keep looking around. We were thinking about a Yukon, but with fuel the way it is I'm leaning towards the ride and "possibly" better mileage of the Acadia. That's one thing that does concern me. It sounds like there is alot of varying in mileage. We live in flat rural country so very little city driving and no hills to speak of. Surely it should get 19-20 highway I hope. That's one thing that always makes me mad about GM. For mileage I usually knock off 3-4 mpg off EPA highway and that might get you close.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One thing I forgot to find out is if we get the DVD upgrade on the SLE does that come with full upgraded DIC? I thought I read that somewhere.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Doodle, don't forget that invoice is not the real price that the dealer paid for the Acadia. When they sell you the Acadia at invoice, they are still making at least $1,000 because of "hold back" and other incentives that they get from GM.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Doodle the SLE version, does not come with the upgraded DIC, but it may be possible if you purchase the buttons and have the computer flashed.

·
Registered
275 Posts
s2acadia said:
SLT has DIC(Trip computer) installed from the factory, vs SLE costs you at minimum $16.00
There, fixed that for ya. :cheers:

·
Registered
15 Posts
my wife had the sle with towing package and convience package but like you the selling thing for her was the dvd built in with 2 kids and the bose speakers it is well worth it.and the dual climate control is great..price wise here in canada also we had the cold weather package also seeing it hits minus 20 or more in the winter and we paid 46 on the road which i thought wasn't to bad,Also today we ordered a 2009 and went the same way again sle with the opitions we wanted and it was still cheaper than slt 1

·
Registered
88 Posts
It just so happens that we found an Acadia equipped almost exactly as we would have ordered it. One option that pushed us into the SLT over the SLE was the power lift gate.. which is an awesome feature. Also with the kids we wanted the leather due to the easier cleanup.

We didn't want the overhead DVD in ours.. Mainly because we didn't want it interfering w/ the rear view mirror. I am going to add head rest DVDs to our SLT... which if you go the dealer route.. will run you about $1800-2000... or you can get nicer aftermarket headrests for $1500-2000... Or do a nice aftermarket overhead for less than $1000 or so... but you can't control the DVD from the front radio like you can w/ the factory setup.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts