GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still deciding what trim to get. I have an 11 month old and really think the cloth would be the best plus I live in Dallas and its so hot here in the summer with leather seats. I have located an SLE with bucket's, remote start, power seat package and DVD surround sound package. I can save about 4k if I get this SLE vs the SLT. Other then the leather, it looks like I could live without the other standard SLT options.

Are SLE owners here happy with thier purchase or should I just spend the extra 4K and get the SLT with sunroof/19 wheels and all.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Why do you feel cloth is better vs. leather with an 11 month old? I'm not challenging that thought, just curious. I opted for leather (without consideration of my 6 month old... purely selfish on that one) and wondering if I may be missing something.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 14 month old and would never get cloth with kids. Both our cars have leather and have not had one stain yet. I have a few friends that bought new Trailblazers and the kids have destroyed the cloth seats.

·
Registered
166 Posts
skibum69 said:
I have a few friends that bought new Trailblazers and the kids have destroyed the cloth seats.
Ditto on that. I took one look at some friends' TB and thought, "is this what my new vehicle is going to look like?" :eek:

·
Registered
20 Posts
JIms08SLT said:
I am still deciding what trim to get. I have an 11 month old and really think the cloth would be the best , it looks like I could live without the other standard SLT options.

I am with you----I have a 4 year old and would rather clean cloth than repair leather------If he scratches or rips the leather it will be a big pain!!
I feel the only things i miss with the SLE is
--Leather seats, which I would rather have Ebony cloth
--Sunroof,which I would never get--It is just another exit during a rollover(I have seen dozens of these first hand)
--19in wheels, I want the 18's anyway
--Navigation, I don't need
--DVD, we already have two for the car(hardly ever use them besides long trips)
--Remote start,It lives in the garage.

JMHO

Dave

·
Registered
370 Posts
Mine is a little older, he's 9. But I still deal with spilled drinks/ food/ dirt....you name it. When he was 4 we went from cloth to leather and I don't think I could ever go back. I've found the leather to be much easier to to keep clean and looking new.

·
Registered
60 Posts
We have a 2 yr old and 4 yr old and just picked up an SLE with ebony cloth captains chairs. I don't have a real good reason, I'm just not into leather I guess. I feel both materials clean well...never had a problem getting cloth clean. I've had one vehicle with leather and didn't really care for it. I thought it was warm in the summer, but maybe that's just me.

We got the SLE with preferred, convenience and towing package and that's plenty for our needs. We got it for 33k so it also fit the budget a little better.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I have an SLE and I don't regret not getting an SLT. I test drove one and I won't deny, it was beautiful. Yeah it might be nice to have lots of fancy-pants options in a vehicle, but IMO, it just leaves more room for stuff to go wrong. I also like having the extra $$ in my pocket that I saved not buying an SLT. I think the SLE comes nicely equipped for the price (I paid around $30K for mine)... you can see the few options mine has in my sig line.

My cloth seats hold up to a car full of 16 year olds and have handled my two 60lb dogs quite nicely. It's been just over a year and I don't have any fading, snagging, ripping, shredding, stains or any other unmentionables to mention in, on or about my cloth seats. They're quite durable.

Personally, I don't like leather seats because I hate when my butt sticks to the seat in the summer. bleh.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Web Raven said:
Personally, I don't like leather seats because I hate when my butt sticks to the seat in the summer. bleh.
Yeah, with leather seats you really do need to wear something more than just a thong. :angel:

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Rod S said:
Web Raven said:
Yeah, with leather seats you really do need to wear something more than just a thong. :angel:
Yeah, you know me, cruisin' around in my Acadia in nothing but a thong. ::)

And not only that, you get into a car with leather seats that's been sitting out in the sun for a while, IT HURTS! That leather heats up too much. But I suppose if you had remote start, you could start the car ahead of time and assuming you had the AC controls switched to ON, you could cool it down before you get inside.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Of course its your choice but I have seen an awful lot of posts from people with SLE version looking to now add some of the SLT features. If you are sure you would be happy without those features then I say go ahead.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We opted for the leather seats after our experience with switching from a cloth couch to a leather couch at home! With 2 small kids, we have loved our leather couch - Spills and even pen marks just come right off. So the leather seats in a car seemed like the perfect choice. We have cloth in our Sienna and are constantly fighting stains. Can't wait for our Acadia to arrive and move the kiddos onto a surface I can just wipe clean with one swipe of a wet wipe! :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I would vote for leather. My son has gotten sick on both cloth and leather seats. The leather was much easier to clean up and the smell was harder to get out of the cloth. Ewww...I know.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Leather fan here:
Much easier to clean, it's tougher than you think my lovely daughter didn't put her skate guards on and left them in our car, my son (with special needs) tossed her skates into the front seat and one landed pick down NO PUNCTURE I WAS AMAZED! After that we actually purchaced leather for our living room too. We also have dogs who are all over the leather, no problems. I had a major coffee accident in the Acadia recently, thank god it was leather!
SLE vs SLT I sat down and highlighted what we really needed in the SLT and we chose to go with that but if it was over my budget I would have been very happy with the SLE too.
Lee

·
Registered
22 Posts
For your needs, I would opt for leather; it is much more difficult to stain than cloth, and I think it is more luxurious. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Go with the SLT, the leather alone is worth it, besides being ealeir to keep clean, if you live anywhere it gets dry during any time of the year, you will not get the static shocks you get with cloth seats. Maybe it's just me but I get the biggest shocks when getting out of a car with cloth seats.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
skibum69 said:
Go with the SLT, the leather alone is worth it, besides being ealeir to keep clean, if you live anywhere it gets dry during any time of the year, you will not get the static shocks you get with cloth seats. Maybe it's just me but I get the biggest shocks when getting out of a car with cloth seats.
I've never gotten shocked getting out of my Acadia with the cloth seats. However, the past two Vues I had with cloth used to shock me every single time unless I remembered to grab the door frame before setting foot on the ground... but I wouldn't always remember to do that. LOL

·
Registered
130 Posts
Once you go leather, you will never go back. :whip:

·
Registered
7 Posts
We love our SLE (prefered, convience, bose, & trailering package). I'm in central TX and leather is too hot for us, so we opted for ebony cloth seats (captain chairs) to avoid stains from showing from our kids. We also didn't want all the fancy do-dads and high tech features (HUD, motorized mirrors, sunroofs, DVD, etc). I believe more options, more $ for the car and more problems you will have with the car. Don't get me wrong, they are great to have, but if you plan on owning the car over a long time (5+ years), they can become a pain with maintenance

Also, I think loaded vehicles take a bigger depreciation hit than moderately equiped car.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
294 Posts
skibum69 said:
Just wipe your cloth seats with a dryer sheet when the seats start to 'pop' you. An added bonus is the 'April fresh' scent. This works very well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts