GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious...what should we except to pay on a plain-jane SLE--literally has no options except for captains chairs. Invoice is 28867 according to Edmunds, but what would a dealer expect to make above invoice? Input appreciated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've always asked for $500 over invoice and not had any problems. I purchased a SLE 4/30 using the GM Supplier plan and noticed on the dealers price sheet that there was a $500 hold back to the dealer. If your dealer is receiving a hold back also you might be able to pay invoice. A volume dealer normally won't have a problem with making $500 per vehicle sold. However, if you are trading be prepared to receive black book value for your trade. It's only fair - wholesale purchase/wholesale trade. Good luck.

My $.02

·
Registered
57 Posts
gnctalley said:
I've always asked for $500 over invoice and not had any problems. I purchased a SLE 4/30 using the GM Supplier plan and noticed on the dealers price sheet that there was a $500 hold back to the dealer. If your dealer is receiving a hold back also you might be able to pay invoice. A volume dealer normally won't have a problem with making $500 per vehicle sold. However, if you are trading be prepared to receive black book value for your trade. It's only fair - wholesale purchase/wholesale trade. Good luck.

My $.02
Remember a dealer receives more on a vehicle than just $X-invoice.
I believe, and I have never had any problems with any of the vehicles I have bought
that you can get a vehicle for invoice. I normally just walk in and say I am willing
to pay invoice and no more -- should we continue or will I be wasting both our time.

I am currently in the process of ordering an '09 Enclave -- just waiting for final pricing.
And we have agreed to this point to pay invoice minus any incentives.

My $.02 (which is worth less than most)

m

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
My last 5 GM cars have all been purchased at invoice MINUS any discounts and/or rebates. Be careful when you say you will only pay invoice as they may make the price be invoice after rebates and discounts.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've seen some advertised here for $26,995. Sounds like list less rebates without much of any other discount.

I bought mine a little over a year ago and paid just under invoice less rebates. You also have to be careful with Edmunds and the advertising fee. Their invoice and the dealer's could be off by this amount (Around $700 if I remember correctly).

·
Registered
57 Posts
jseck2 said:
I've seen some advertised here for $26,995. Sounds like list less rebates without much of any other discount.

I bought mine a little over a year ago and paid just under invoice less rebates. You also have to be careful with Edmunds and the advertising fee. Their invoice and the dealer's could be off by this amount (Around $700 if I remember correctly).
Just another FYI -- the advertisement fee has been hotly debated (on this forum and many others)
as to whether this
is part of invoice or not. At some point you have to draw the line and decide if the price
you pay is worth it or not -- but it rarely hurts to attempt NOT to pay it.

m

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what should I expect to pay (transfer fee? dealer fee?) if they're getting it from another dealership? I don't want to commit without test driving it. It was invoiced in 2007 even though it's an 2008 model, so I'm concerned as to why it hasn't sold. My husband thinks because it's a stripped-down, no-frills car. I just don't want to call the guy back yet until I know for sure if we want to pursue it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
mmmaaa said:
what should I expect to pay (transfer fee? dealer fee?) if they're getting it from another dealership? I don't want to commit without test driving it. It was invoiced in 2007 even though it's an 2008 model, so I'm concerned as to why it hasn't sold. My husband thinks because it's a stripped-down, no-frills car. I just don't want to call the guy back yet until I know for sure if we want to pursue it.
Well without knowing the details I would say that invoiced in 2007 could mean Dec?
Yes being very basic may also be why it is still on someones lot.

I would offer at or a little lower than invoice (maybe 1-1.5% less) (it is very late in the model year),
include destination (usually ~$795) this may already be in the invoice price. NOTE:
destination is what EVERYONE pays, this is not a acquition fee, or get it from the other
dealership fee, etc. They will whine about having to pay someone to drive it, or whatever,
but this is their cost -- not yours -- they often make deals with other dealerships -- you
scratch my back -- I'll swap you a car some other time -- etc etc.

You demand that you get what ever rebates/incentives are available -- Conquest/Loyalty cash etc.

I would goto Edmunds and check their invoice prices so you know what to expect
they may not be 100% correct but are usually within small 10's of dollars close.

I would not pay for transfering the vehicle -- that is the cost of doing business.
You could always do an inventory search -- (there are ways that are shown on this forum)
and get it from the dealership directly there -- or at least suggest you will do that.

I would try to avoid paying the advertsing, or at least leave this as your only haggle point.
It is probably in the 2% range -- so you are talking ~$580 or so.

Remember -- at a minimum the dealership will be getting a 3% holdback -- which is a rebate
from the factory after the sale. There maybe other incentives you don't know about.
It is not your job to worry about whether the dealer makes money or not. He is likely
too regardless of what the sales guy says -- and if he doesn't make money -- he
won't sell it to you. You can walk -- and come back later. That SLE will still be there.

note that if you are willing to wait -- '09s can be ordered very soon, (for July delivery dates)
Here you would still offer the same invoice price -- but incentives may not apply,
and the price of the '09s may increase.

good luck, stick to your guns, make sure that you can be happy with the decision
that you end up with -- and ultimately you are the only one that can decide you got a good (enough) deal.

m

·
Registered
284 Posts
txhokie4life said:
jseck2 said:

Just another FYI -- the advertisement fee has been hotly debated (on this forum and many others)
as to whether this
is part of invoice or not. At some point you have to draw the line and decide if the price
you pay is worth it or not -- but it rarely hurts to attempt NOT to pay it.

m
I still don't understand where the mystery with this is...and there should be zero debate. It IS part of the invoice, charged to the dealer like an option would be, no if's ands or but's about it. That said, as different dealers can participate in it at slightly different %'s, none of the online pricing systems can give you a correct invoice.

At this point of the year, IF the dealer has a decent inventory (and even if not) I'd go in expecting to pay anywhere from straight invoice to $500 over, then minus any rebates, regardless of trim level.

So, with advertising (unless it's at a rare dealer who doesn't participate and isn't charged it), I'd say in the $29,500 range then minus any rebates. Without, anywhere from $28,500 to that. Should be no mystery, especially if they'll even show you the invoice...a lot do now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
~

I feel like I am in a pretty good position to comment on this, as I just purchased an SLE two weeks ago. I live in MN, and not sure if that affects pricing, or what not, but here's how my purchase went down. Went to a dealer that does "no-haggle" pricing. Some may say this is a gimmick, but I shopped around, and the place I bought from always had the lowest price when asked what the first price is. I personally hate trying to talk them down in price, so I liked the up-front price. The way this dealership works is on SELLING THE VEHICLE. If they don't sell it, they make nothing. If they sell it (doesn't matter which veicle), they get a fixed fee for selling. So it is in their best interest to give you their best price. They actually showed me the invoice from GM, and had the MSRP and invoice price on it (BOTH).

Thus, I went in, told them I wanted a plain SLE, FWD, with only a few options. He didn't have any on his lot, but found one nearby. On their website with GM, it tells MSRP and Invoice price. They said, you see the invoice price, that's what we sell them for. Doesn't matter who's lot it's on, they dealer trade with everyone in the area (most do if they're a respectable dealer). So as long as it's "close" and they don't have to drive 200 miles to get it, shouldn't cost extra to get from another dealer's lot.

Oh, and above that, there was $1000 GM loyalty rebate, and another $500 dealer rebate.

MSRP $32,500
Invoice 30,500
Less GM Loyalty (1,000)
Less Dealer Reb ( 500)
Final Price $29,000

Then I had a trade in and then some GM Credit Card $$.

Now, keep in mind that the SLE I bought had Preferred, Convenience, and Towing package (about $500 each). I considered these things standard and wanted them on the base model, so I found one with them added. So this added $1500. So you could take the price above, subtract $1500..... would be ~$27,500.

Now, I also have the bench, and I believe buckets is an extra $500. So maybe back up to $28,000. That would be a good pricing point IMO. I checked a lot of places around me, and everyone would start higher, and then tell you want their bottomline price was. It was still slightly higher that the invoice price from the dealer I bought from, and the dealer I bought from had oil changes and car washes for life, so felt that was worth going with them over someone else.

All in all, for and SLE with buckets (FWD), I would say no more then $28,000 - IMO. However, based upon the limited availability of what I was finding out there, it may be tough to find the stripped down SLE w/ buckets only. You'll see that there will often times be 1 or 2 of the 3 standard pkgs that are common (preferred, convenience, and trailering) added on.

That's just my 2 cents, but don't pay MORE than invoice less GM/dealer rebates - especially this time of the year when they're starting to wind down on '08 models.

Hope that helps! Also, reconsider the towing package (other threads on here say aftermarket is NOT the way to go) and the preferred and convenience pkgs (steering wheel radio controls, auto start, power seats, leather wrapped steering wheel, rear park assist). Awesome options for a little extra!!!

Good luck, keep us posted on how it goes!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Acadia I purchased on 4/30 was optioned exactly like jaweichert's except I added the Red Jewel paint (another $395). Using the GM Supplier plan my final price before rebates was $30,562. My Acadia was located at a dealership a little over 150 miles from where I purchased it. There were no transfer fees.

Also, please remember the the dealerships have floor plans with which they finance the vehicles in stock. The longer a vehicle sits the more interest the dealer has to pay. In the past I have gotten a better deal by ordering the exact vehicle/options I wanted. That way the dealer doesn't have to finance another vehicle, saving them room on their floor plan and financing dollars. On the other end, if a vehicle has sat on the lot for an extended period of time the dealer may be willing to discount it just to get it gone.

Good luck!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts