GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to post some pictures of the hitch install I just finished on the SLE. Obviously coming without the towing package I did not have the hitch cover with the 'bump', and I hated to leave the hitch exposed as much as it is when the cover is removed, so I opted to do some cutting to the current hitch cover. I am very pleased with the look. I almost prefer it over the 'bump'! Now for the dreaded wiring...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Have you read through the trailer threads here? You might want to know how installations have gone for other members

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I've read about Toyjunkie's wiring install, and it looks like I'll be taking that route. Were you referring to another thread that I might have missed?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I was referring to some members having issues with the wiring, fuse blocks etc

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I saw those threads. I'm not looking forward to paying GM for an updated fuse block, so will attempt the wiring kit with converter that Toyjunkie installed. Sounds like a little work but worth it in the end!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
matstang said:
Just wanted to post some pictures of the hitch install I just finished on the SLE. Obviously coming without the towing package I did not have the hitch cover with the 'bump', and I hated to leave the hitch exposed as much as it is when the cover is removed, so I opted to do some cutting to the current hitch cover. I am very pleased with the look. I almost prefer it over the 'bump'! Now for the dreaded wiring...
That looks really nice! where are you going to put your trailer wire connection adapter?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bonk1313 said:
That looks really nice! where are you going to put your trailer wire connection adapter?
I'm not too sure about that yet! I don't know if I will have to fabricate some type of bracket that will attach to the hitch tube (either weld or self tapping screws?). I guess my first step will be to purchase the wiring kit and see what it comes with! Any suggestions?

·
Registered
42 Posts
WOW! That looks really good. I think I will do that myself instead of buying the hitch cover with the bump. Glad I didn't throw away the old hitch cover.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MichAcadia said:
WOW! That looks really good. I think I will do that myself instead of buying the hitch cover with the bump. Glad I didn't throw away the old hitch cover.
Hey thanks! Just FYI on that: I held the cover up to the hitch (centered it) then traced with a sharpie the outline of the hitch (from the backside). I used a hack saw to cut the two vertical cuts--cutting up to the top 'lip' of the cover. Then used a box cutter to score both sides for the last cut and snapped it off. Fits in nice and tight--decided not to cut it in half as I was afraid I'd lose some of the rigidity! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
matstang said:
I'm not too sure about that yet! I don't know if I will have to fabricate some type of bracket that will attach to the hitch tube (either weld or self tapping screws?). I guess my first step will be to purchase the wiring kit and see what it comes with! Any suggestions?
Not to sure. Are you doing flat 4 or 7 pin. If do a flat 4 then I would attach it to the bottom of the Reciever. If you can I would try to mount it so that it was hidden behind the cover somewhere, but accessible to hook up to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bonk1313 said:
Not to sure. Are you doing flat 4 or 7 pin. If do a flat 4 then I would attach it to the bottom of the Reciever. If you can I would try to mount it so that it was hidden behind the cover somewhere, but accessible to hook up to.
I'll just run a flat 4. I agree that it should be hidden behind the cover. Looks like I might be able to get the hitch wiring/fuse box issue covered by warranty under a TSB. I will be making a phone call after the holidays here and see what I can come up with. I will update when I come up with something!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts