GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my 2009 Acadia and want to find a nice ski/snowboard rack for it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Alan

·
Registered
43 Posts
Depending on what you are carrying, Board or Ski, anything from Yakima or Thule would work, but you have to have the cross rails on the roof or a hitch receiver. If you carry boards, purely, the cargo area will hold anything upto a 156, bag included, without issue. My friends and I all board and I fit everyone's boards and our weekend luggage in the back without issue with the 3rd row down, the longest board we ride is a 156. Over 156 the bag will likely intrude into the second row abit, of course this all depends on what kind of board bag you got.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. The boards would be for my kids (oldest is 13, who competes). Good to know that there is ample room, so far, in the cargo area. Unfortunately, I didn't order a trailer hitch receiver. Is that a relatively easy addition to install?

·
Registered
43 Posts
There are a couple of after market hitch receivers from Hidden Hitch, etc. It's a bolt on operation, requiring two people. Honestly, if the boards are under 156, save the money and just use the cargo area. It's safer that way anyways, especially in the NYC region ski places where board theft is ridiculously common. Since your oldest competes I am sure his boards are up there in price, as great as the carriers from Yakima and Thule are, I would still feel safer with the boards in the car, in bags, under the cargo cover.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I will take a wait and see approach. Quite frankly, the way my daughter abuses these boards, they would likely break before they were stolen anyway, but I certainly don't want to tempt fate.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I negotiated a hitch from the dealer when I bought it, because it didn't have the tow package. I will only be using it for my trailer hitch bike rack. It saved me the money of the tow package, and they threw it in to get my business.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is abit off topic, but the boards are a lot stronger than one would think, especially the new Burton boards, they got a lot of flex in them. As I am sure you know, park boards are radically different from freestyle boards...a good board will last at least a couple of years if not more. I think the new Burton board have some form of ride guarantee on them, I think it's around 500 rides or so. Anyways, to bring this back on topic, roof top hard case carriers is another option, lockable, boards are out of sight and protected from road salt sprays, flying debris, etc. But they can run expensive, especially ones long enough to accomondate skis/snowboards. Just thought I would toss that idea out there...

Best of luck to your daughter during the 08/09 season! Maybe I'll catch your car in a lodge parking lot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Staying OT. As far as Burton boards, my daughter has a friend who is also 13. They both compete in the Southern Vermont Series (USASA). Last season, her friend was given 2 custom boards by Burton because the Burton boards he bought kept breaking (mostly in the pipe). Wouldn't you know it, he broke both of them. Apparently the youth boards aren't designed for real competitive events. In defense of Burton, the kid was doing ridiculous moves, getting huge air, spinning 5s, 7s and now 9s, on both sides. I am a life long skier. In the winter, when I am not skiing, my job is to take by daughter to all of her events (and take photos and video). That's where the Acadia comes in. It's light years ahead of the explorer I just returned.

Where do you ride?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Ski rack?! Get a car top carrier. Who wants to take ski's down with road crud all over them? Carriers protect your gear, inhibit theft (out of sight), and have more versatillity that a season rack.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow, if your daughter's friend is doing all that stuff, a custom board is the only way to go. No stock board can stand up to the beating, most serious competitors replace their boards after a couple of competitions and always have multiple back ups, if not full setups then at least boards. I am also suprised that he would be riding youth boards, at 13 he should be riding adult boards, with out knowledge of his height and weight, but I would gander to say a 148 or 150 should fit the smallest 13 year old, maybe my concept of 13 year olds are bigger than they actually are. I normally ride in Vermont as well, Okemo turned out to be the spot of choice last season, and that tradition appears to continue this season as well. NY state, Windham, but that gets crowded, Hunter, crowded there too, Mountain Creek in NJ, last minute day trips only. I actually switched to boarding only last season, was a skier before then and had been since I can remember. But knee injuries from competition and my tendency to go all out on any run sidelined me for a number of years. The saddest point, and what got me to try boarding, was when I went to Park City, UT last year and couldn't ski, my knee was bothering me so much that I had to put braces on after only one run on a blue trail. There I was, surrounded by amazingly fresh powder, the Rockies as a back drop and the only thing I could do was stare at it...I almost cried.

The Acadia is an awesome car for winter sports and the trips getting to the slopes. 5 hours drive to Okemo and I wasn't tired at all, unlike with my 05 Xterra. HUGE cargo capacity, three people's board and gear plus luggage plus some winter emergency supplies and there was still room for more. Gas mileage suffered a bit with the load and almost constant climbing/rolling terrain. The dual roof was awesome for viewing the stars, my best friend had a great time just staring out the roof while laying across the second row bench during the drives. The Acadia is better than my girlfriend's grandfather's RX330 we had use of while in Utah. We also had use of either a Toyota Sequoia or 4runner, can't remember, but I'll take the Acadia any day over that, V8 plus premium fuel...ouch!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Since there are some fellow snow folks in the house, what floor mats/liners are you using in your Acadia's?
Up until now, we were driving a honda element (nice for dirty stuff), but I can't do this to the Acadia.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Weathertech floorliners are the bomb for the front and rear. 2nd row's just came out so not sure how well they'll do for snow, but coverage is excellent.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I concur with Jake_99, got weathertech floor liners in the Acadia, worked great. I have some reservations about the 2nd row liners, they don't seem to stay in place very well, mostly coverage is minimal due to the tracks for 2nd row seats. I am still trying to find something to cover those tracks with that still allows the seats to be moved and flipped. I got GMC liners for the 3rd row as that was the only option available at the time, plus I rarely have anyone back there. One thing to note though, I would recommend getting and putting the mats in early in the season while the weather is still warm enough. The hard plastic needs some heat to relax and truely conform to everything. I put mine in a bit late last year, around Turkey day, and had to use a hair dryer to relax the plastic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts