GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 GMC Acadia Denali. My SiriusXM signal is constantly dropping. It always seems to drop in the same areas too. When I drive down to to the Keys (I live in south florida) my signal drops in the same areas. I dont understand because there is nothing blocking the view to the sky. Im practically out in the middle of the ocean surrounded by water. I saw some threads where they blame tmobile and some threads where they say its moisture in the antenna base. Has anyone had any recent experience with this. Even a fix. Do I have to get a new antenna? I wouldnt mind getting the antenna if that was the problem.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Certain areas of the U.S. and up in Canada, are in fringe areas of the Sirius/XM satellite coverage. I've experienced similar, but usually in areas with many trees or high rocky hills.

It could be an antenna issue or the cable running from it to the XM radio module as well.

Reactions: BigEfromDaBX

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Certain areas of the U.S. and up in Canada, are in fringe areas of the Sirius/XM satellite coverage. I've experienced similar, but usually in areas with many trees or high rocky hills.

It could be an antenna issue or the cable running from it to the XM radio module as well.
Thanks. We can definitely rule out the trees and the hills because there are neither driving to key west :)

·
Super Moderator
21,113 Posts
Thanks. We can definitely rule out the trees and the hills because there are neither driving to key west :)
"Ain't no satellites up there!" LOL (someone broadcast that on a 2-way radio while doing GPS surveys and couldn't get the instrument to lock onto a signal)

·
Registered
145 Posts
It is probably working as expected. XM does not have 100% coverage. I lose signal all the time in Oregon even when I have clear view of the sky.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is probably working as expected. XM does not have 100% coverage. I lose signal all the time in Oregon even when I have clear view of the sky.
I have had other radios with xm and didnt have the issues i have now.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I have had other radios with xm and didnt have the issues i have now.
I agree. Some vehicles we've had since 2008 worked better than others fir XM.

·
Registered
2015 GMC Acadia SLT2 w/trailer package
14 Posts
Our signal goes in and out. Its why I stopped paying for the service. If we are doing a road trip, I just use amazon music through my phone, either use one of their stations or make an offline playlist for cross country trips.

·
Super Moderator
21,113 Posts
Our signal goes in and out. Its why I stopped paying for the service. If we are doing a road trip, I just use amazon music through my phone, either use one of their stations or make an offline playlist for cross country trips.
XM was essentially worthless in some areas I frequently travelled. That's why I dropped it. Sirius now keeps trying to get me to sign up the XT5. I wish they'd quit spamming my home phone!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I just wonder if I can fix it and what will fix it. Replacing the antenna? I called a local car stereo shop and they told me that it had to be take to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I just wonder if I can fix it and what will fix it. Replacing the antenna? I called a local car stereo shop and they told me that it had to be take to the dealer.
If you always lose signal in the same area, I doubt it is your vehicle. Most likely just an area with poor reception.

Before I spent money on replacing the antenna, I would load up a USB stick with some of my favorite tunes and use that for entertainment in those dead zones.

Another option would be Android Auto or Apple Car Play.

·
Super Moderator
21,113 Posts
Another option would be Android Auto or Apple Car Play.
Wouldn't you still be at the mercy of cell phone (or WiFi) reception for those to work properly? I had navigation drop out on both my phone and Garmin at the same time once. Neither started receiving a signal for many miles. My customer asked if I was lost. Good thing I knew the area!

·
Super Moderator
21,113 Posts
It would likely be either the antenna or the XM (receiver) module. Doubtful anything internal to the radio itself would cause it.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Wouldn't you still be at the mercy of cell phone (or WiFi) reception for those to work properly? I had navigation drop out on both my phone and Garmin at the same time once. Neither started receiving a signal for many miles. My customer asked if I was lost. Good thing I knew the area!
Yep, but it depends where you are travelling. Like you, I've travelled places where SXM and cell dropped at the same time.

I've been to other places, around Harper's Ferry comes to mind, where SXM lost reception but still had a strong cell signal.

I guess it's like days of old when we only had AM radios and reception was at the mercy of the weather.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
You could potentially check and/or replace the antenna . . . but a bit fussy to get at the wiring at least in my truck and previous GM car.
The XM/Sirius module would likley be best to have checked or replaced by the dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I live in south florida. Not too many things blocking the sky like when I lived in NYC. Not to mention driving down to key west is a clear view of the sky. You're surrounded by the ocean on both sides :)

·
Super Moderator
21,113 Posts
I live in south florida. Not too many things blocking the sky like when I lived in NYC. Not to mention driving down to key west is a clear view of the sky. You're surrounded by the ocean on both sides :)
In that case, you should only be able to clearly receive the Jimmy Buffet channel. 🤣 🤣

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 2018 Traverse. I had certain areas where I had problems. I had an old Sirius portable antenna and ended up buying some pigtails I could use inline between my stock antenna and the cable going to the electronics. I went to an area where I had problems and then plugged in the portable antenna. Everything was great then. Turns out I had a defective antenna (weak?). I bought one off of ebay and replaced it myself (I had been getting a run around (it works on the dealer lot so it must be okay). I haven't had any problems since then (about a year).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had a similar problem with my 2018 Traverse. I had certain areas where I had problems. I had an old Sirius portable antenna and ended up buying some pigtails I could use inline between my stock antenna and the cable going to the electronics. I went to an area where I had problems and then plugged in the portable antenna. Everything was great then. Turns out I had a defective antenna (weak?). I bought one off of ebay and replaced it myself (I had been getting a run around (it works on the dealer lot so it must be okay). I haven't had any problems since then (about a year).

I dont mind buying another antenna. But from what I hear that antenna is for the radio, satellite and onstar so if you replace it with just a satellite you might lose the other services.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts