GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Acadia SLT-1; AWD V6; Crimson Red Tintcoat; Towing Pkg; 102,700 miles (as of 11/29/2021)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2017 SLT-1 (non-classic).

Has anyone added some kind of side marker/turn signal to either the mirror, front quarter panel or elsewhere that would be visible to vehicles either coming from behind but on the side or closer to vehicles at about 90 degrees to path of travel of our vehicle?

I believe there might be an integrated side marker/turn signal on upper-level trim package, but with all the high-tech stuff on the SLT-1, surprised there is not a blatant, conspicuously-visible side marker/turn signal light

Apologies if this has already been discussed somewhere...extremely new to this vehicle and haven't had GM product since high school...and they technically do not produce those anymore (Oldsmobile)

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
22,977 Posts
IIRC, none of the 2017 C1XX-platform (redesigned) Acadia trims was equipped with turn signals in the side mirrors. Those returned to upper level trims in later model years. You'll have to use your imagination and skill to add what you want to your Acadia.

·
Registered
2017 Acadia SLT-1; AWD V6; Crimson Red Tintcoat; Towing Pkg; 102,700 miles (as of 11/29/2021)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you...i thought i'd seen a denali with that function...could totally be wrong...i just don't quite understand with heated mirrors and alerts lighting up for vehicles in adjacent lane, how turn signals were not included in the mirror's electrical...i personally like them in the quarter panel...i believe mazda does a pretty good job with that...and believe it might be a standard on vehicles in europe...just seems weird to not have it with all the other electrical safety-related items...thanks again

Reactions: Motor702

·
Super Moderator
22,977 Posts
They're simply not that critical to vehicle safety or the nanny state would require them on everything!

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
They're simply not that critical to vehicle safety or the nanny state would require them on everything!
That what I was thinking. If I can't see your front or rear turn signal not sure when there would be a safety issue.

Of course there is always the old fashioned way.....

Tire Automotive tail & brake light Car Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
GMC 2018 Acadia Denali Front Wheel Drive
109 Posts
They ARE that critical in preventing lane change collisions.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Not necessarily doubting you, but do you know of any studies showing how much these prevent accidents?

·
Super Moderator
22,977 Posts
They're of absolutely no help when someone doesn't signal their intention.

Reactions: GEORGEC

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
In our area on any given day of driving in town, I'd say at least 40% of drivers do not use the signal lighting they do have.

I just drive defensively and assume if there is an opportunity to be cut off, swerved in front of or make a right turn from a left hand lane it will likely happen. 😕

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Unless you are in Florida where I believe drivers turn them on as part of latching their seatbelt and never turn them off.

If they were all that critical, the insurance lobby would have already made sure they were required safety equipment.

I personally prefer the Blind Side Detection system.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the input...I have a lot of personal opinions on this as well...the primary rationale, for me I suppose, is that I'd like to have a bit of early warning with someone coming over into my lane...it's happened often enough that i'm basically alongside a vehicle when someone decides i'm expendable and begins coming onto the lane i'm in, one time to the point i went so far to the left when someone came from the right that my handlebar end ended up scraping against the concrete jersey barrier at the median...a blinking light would have most likely caught my attention via peripheral vision and worst case i'd either see something while scanning my mirrors or turning my head, checking surrounding traffic.

Beyond that, I feel i agree with most of the comments...perhaps aside form the question/comment that they're not critical to vehicle safety...to a great extent, they are not, because there are so many other safety features on vehicles these days that you can almost be deaf, dumb and blind...and aside form playing a mean pinball, you'll survive just about most accidents you might get into. I do think they play a role in increased visibility in traffic (i -perhaps poorly- liken this to the high-mount brake lights which strobe initially and then stay lit solid)...where that added, albeit slower strobe/blink of a turn signal may catch someone's attention depending upon where they are located in relation to the vehicle with the blinker on.

-i completely agree that with the way many folks drive, it does not matter if turn signals are installed on a vehicle at all...
-i also agree with the comment regarding driving defensively
-unfortunately, current automotive design doesn't necessarily seem to improve visibility around/looking out from inside the vehicle either and so all these devices have been added instead, making up for much of the lost visibility...i feel there is also a potential inherent laziness (perhaps that's not the right word here) borne out of the dependence on these devices...and we're, to some extent, blindly allowing technology to perform simple tasks that were once common knowledge to most drivers (turning your head to check prior to a lane change, ability to parallel park, ability to back up using mirrors, lowering mirrors to assist with backing up...along with side marker turn signals, this reminds me that saab had one of the better lighting systems when the vehicle was placed in reverse, with a light, lighting up the side along the body of the car, but located near where a side marker light would be, illuminating additional area while backing up)

it's just sad that folks are so disconnected from their driving that people practically do not need to mind many of the details while driving yet there are enough safety devices built in that help accommodate for that lack of driving...while it is nice that there is technology capable of doing all these great things, i believe many people simply let it do everything for them without any care or thought of also performing the manual version of those functions along with the vehicle's systems...this goes off tangent a bit, but lately it has been shocking for me to see how many people drive with no headlights or whatever minimal level auto-headlights function their vehicle provides, in the dark and in horrible weather conditions where it's further difficult to see other vehicles...sorry for the long pseudo-rant...i just see it so frequently, i'm surprised there aren't more accidents and it seems to be dramatically worse the past couple of years than i've ever noticed it before (perhaps it's just our area of the country...for what it's worth, we are in western Washington State, about 20 miles south/southeast of Seattle)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not necessarily doubting you, but do you know of any studies showing how much these prevent accidents?
None that I know of, just personal experience of 35 years of taking traffic collisions reports.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Thank you all for the input...I have a lot of personal opinions on this as well...the primary rationale, for me I suppose, is that I'd like to have a bit of early warning with someone coming over into my lane...
I don't disagree with your opinion. Heck, distracted drivers are the reason I no longer ride motorcycles.

One of the problems is the larger number of drivers that never bother to signal their intention to change lanes.

I find the Blind Side Detection system to be the best way to monitor the folks to my left and right. Seeing that warning light in my mirror is much better warning than having to look for a flashing mirror in on someone else's vehicle.

Since it first became available Blind Side Detection is a must in any daily driver I lease.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't disagree with your opinion. Heck, distracted drivers are the reason I no longer ride motorcycles.

One of the problems is the larger number of drivers that never bother to signal their intention to change lanes.

I find the Blind Side Detection system to be the best way to monitor the folks to my left and right. Seeing that warning light in my mirror is much better warning than having to look for a flashing mirror in on someone else's vehicle.

Since it first became available Blind Side Detection is a must in any daily driver I lease.
I agree. The main reason I would like a lane changing light is for other drivers to see I'm changing lanes. When there is a clear lane, I don't want someone two lanes over going into it at the same time I am.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree. The main reason I would like a lane changing light is for other drivers to see I'm changing lanes. When there is a clear lane, I don't want someone two lanes over going into it at the same time I am.
That would be helpful. I had a 2019 SLT that I traded on a new 2022 AT4 last Monday. Well yesterday some moron changed lanes almost right beside me. I had to spike the brakes to avoid him slamming my front side.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The turn signals on the front of the mirrors were removed from 2017 to 2019, then returned in 2020
Thank you. Perhaps that is what I saw...

Are the mirrors swappable to the 2017-2019?

I'm not sure why they'd remove that feature then bring it back...
Also, from a tech standpoint, for what it's worth, i believe the new model year no longer has a shifter??? i think i saw push button gear selectors

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you think, that perhaps, if folks had taken a motorcycle instruction class prior to getting a basic driver's license, then they'd be more aware of motorcycles??? i've always felt that would be the case...also, with the amount of suvs and large vhicles on the road, when i'm riding, i often feel that the drivers of the large vehicles simply pull out or do whatever because their vehicle is larger than my motorcycle...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you. Perhaps that is what I saw...

Are the mirrors swappable to the 2017-2019?

I'm not sure why they'd remove that feature then bring it back...
Also, from a tech standpoint, for what it's worth, i believe the new model year no longer has a shifter??? i think i saw push button gear selectors
I don’t think they would be swapable. They might bolt on but how would you wire it? Right, there is no shifter starting with the 2020. The little pull buttons aren’t bad. I liked the shifter better though

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
...Also, from a tech standpoint, for what it's worth, i believe the new model year no longer has a shifter??? i think i saw push button gear selectors
Not great placement, but not a deal breaker.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts