GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right forum. Anyway i would like to shut down my backup alert warning when i back my Acadia up to hook up my camper. The sound drives my crazy and i can't hear my wife yelling at me telling me which way to go to hook up (probably a good thing i guess). Also with the camper hooked up backing into a camping spot the thing drives me crazy. I know it's doing it's job, but i need to back up close to hook it up! So what do i need to do to shut down the system while i'm backing up with a camper?

·
Super Moderator
21,778 Posts
Reading the owners manual would be a great place to start. Look in the index for "Parking Assist" to find the information you seek.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Not sure if this is the right forum. Anyway i would like to shut down my backup alert warning when i back my Acadia up to hook up my camper. The sound drives my crazy and i can't hear my wife yelling at me telling me which way to go to hook up (probably a good thing i guess). Also with the camper hooked up backing into a camping spot the thing drives me crazy. I know it's doing it's job, but i need to back up close to hook it up! So what do i need to do to shut down the system while i'm backing up with a camper?
Page 123 in the 2016 Acadia Owner's Manual: https://my.gmc.com/content/dam/gmow.../2016/GMC/Acadia/2k16 Acadia Owner Manual.pdf

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Yep, the owners manual is helpful to say the least on modern cars.
I like mine silent, so when I lock the car, unlock, etc.; no noises. No feedback beeps on the touch screen, no guidance lines on the back up cam...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks jay. looked at your Acadia Manual link since i don't have one for my car. So looks like i have to cut out the park assist. I thought i tried that last year and it still kept beeping, but maybe i did something wrong. I'll give it try Sunday when i hook up my camper for our 1st trip this year. Thank you for your help. joe

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Thanks jay. looked at your Acadia Manual link since i don't have one for my car...
The one he sent the link for is 2016 unless I'm wrong.
I didn't know the Acadia had a backup alarm TBH. Is it factory installed, maybe with trailer package?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Looked it up, easy to turn off, but perhaps unfortunately (?) it turns back on every start.
Screenshot_20210609-182937_Drive.jpg

Reactions: joe45c

·
Super Moderator
21,778 Posts
I didn't know the Acadia had a backup alarm TBH. Is it factory installed, maybe with trailer package?
I believe the reference is to the alert sounded inside the vehicle.

Reactions: Grantv

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I believe the reference is to the alert sounded inside the vehicle.
Agree, I think I'd be finding a way to permanently disable. If possible...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't mind the alarm when i'm NOT trying to hook up to my camper. It came in handy the other day when i was backing up and a car was parked behind me that i didn't see. The alarm went off looked down at my camera and there it was. But it is sure annoying backing up to hook up the camper or trying to back into a campsite. It might be that i did shut the car off after i disengaged the park assist to go back a see what the heck way my wife was trying to get me to back up. Grantv i call it a alarm. It blasts inside the vehicle and lots of red lights start flashing on my screen.

Reactions: Grantv

·
Registered
262 Posts
I too find it very annoying when hooking up my camper, and sometimes forget to turn it off before hitching. It's just a very easy thing to overlook in the checklist when all you want is to pop in reverse and go.

Unfortunately, other than disabling it permanently, I don't believe there is a way to manually turn it off until you manually turn it back on again — even if turned off for a duty cycle, the next time the vehicle is started, the park assist will be back on.

Very hard to remember to turn it off sometimes when you have a wife in your ear, a screaming child behind you, and a dog that's getting all riled up — add the incessant beeping and it's about enough to drive you mad!

·
Super Moderator
21,778 Posts
I don't mind the alarm when i'm NOT trying to hook up to my camper. ...
Just wait until you get a car with the 'butt buzzer.' I haven't figured out how to disable it and my derriere gets vibrated every time I pull in or out of the garage.

Reactions: SpartyOn and joe45c

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just wait until you get a car with the 'butt buzzer.' I haven't figured out how to disable it and my derriere gets vibrated every time I pull in or out of the garage.
No thanks. i've got about all the technology i need with this one.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Page 132 of your owner's manual. Alert types. You should be able to turn off the seat vibrator.

·
Super Moderator
21,778 Posts
Page 132 of your owner's manual. Alert types. You should be able to turn off the seat vibrator.
That's for type of alert. Yeah, I can change the vibrate to beep, but can't turn the alert off altogether. Since I don't like beeps, either, I just keep the butt buzzer on. It's not as distracting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts