GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How soon after production can our Acadia's be waxed? Wondering if it is best to wait a bit for the paint to settle?

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Most dealerships wax cars on their lot. In case you haven't followed those who have ordered theirs, the paint has been curing for WEEKS, sometimes months, after they're built ;) You can wax it immediately.

·
Registered
284 Posts
On EVERY new car, the paint is baked and cured right at the factory when built, so you can do whatever you please to it from day one.

Somehow this is still an old wise tail that people mistakenly spread, with having to wait for the paint to cure (there would be a LOT of issues, were that the case) on a new car. Often it's true if you ever have any body work done, as they don't always bake it like factory, but that's usually the only case.

So go to the washing, polishing, and waxing your heart's content out :thumb:

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I got my new black (think hot and baking in the sun) Lexus, I waited a few weeks to have it waxed. During that time a bird pooped on it and the poop sat there for the day while I was at work. It ate right through the clear coat! Three years on and the mark it still there. Moral of the story is, get your vehicle waxed as soon as possible to protect against these sort of things.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My brother, who is a long time GM body guy, told me that all of the newer water based clear coats do have a long time before they are fully cured. The factory cure gets them 95 to 98% there but the full cure can take several months longer. Volvo recommended waiting several months before running my car through a high pressure car wash because of the newer paint formulations. I believe it was an old wives tale but it's truer now than it ever was. However, it is still perfectly safe and wise your clay and wax your new vehicle as soon as you can. It is delivered to you covered with rail dust, brake dust, air born garbage and acid rain. If the dealer did wax it, they probably used a low quality product and sealed in the surface contamination anyway. The sooner you thoroughly clean and protect the surface from UV and other environmental contamination the longer your paint will last.

There are many good web sites that offer information on how to treat new car finishes but one I recommend is http://www.zainostore.com . I'm not affiliated in any way but I love their products and the site has a lot of useful information about paint care.

When in doubt don't listen to anyone, including me. Read the manual and/or call GM customer service and get their advice. They have to stand behind the finish and if there are ever any issues the first thing they will do is see if they can put the burden back on you.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
mmmm interesting comments to verify with my sister-in-law that works here in the paint dept at GM truck plant for 27 years. When I picked up my Acadia in May, she said to wait 30 days from build date to apply any treatment to paint.
She found 2 flaws on the roof of my vehicle, 2 pin head drops. Will let it go for now and may return for fix by dealer body shop in the near future. Since vehicle was built in April, I waited till last week in May to apply Klasse AIO and one coat of sealant. Really did not need the AIO, but did anyway just in case was any paint residue....etc. Happy Trucking!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Secam said:
When I got my new black (think hot and baking in the sun) Lexus, I waited a few weeks to have it waxed. During that time a bird pooped on it and the poop sat there for the day while I was at work. It ate right through the clear coat! Three years on and the mark it still there. Moral of the story is, get your vehicle waxed as soon as possible to protect against these sort of things.
Probably because birds pee and poop at the same time. The dark speckles in the "poop" are the poop, the white stuff is actually their pee. They don't create urea like we do but uric acid, which is a more highly concentrated form of nitrogen wastes and requires more energy to form, but conserves water. Naturally, the stuff is acidic, so I definitely wouldn't recommend leaving it around on a car's finish... wax protected or not!

·
Registered
681 Posts
We have a resident bid poop expert :thumb:, thanks for the detailed description - i think I will keep a bottle of quick detail in the car from now on and hit wipe off those nitrogen waste forms as soon as I see them. ;D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts