GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I'm new 2 the site, I currently own a Dodge Magnum but been think about trading it in for the Acadia because its not enough room with kids, kids friends and dogs tring 2 get to the beach or park, I need some input on the desicion I'm about 2 make. I would like to put a pic of my mag but dont know how. Well let me hear it.

·
Registered
389 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm a mom of 3, all in carseats/boosters. We downsized from a large Expedition to the Acadia, and I love it. We just took our first road trip this weekend, and the cargo space was great for 6. (We took Grandma with us.) And, it was VERY comfortable for everyone.

I have had buyer's remorse twice when purchasing vehicles in the past, and I have to say I LOVE the Acadia. Absolutely love it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Deann - I have appreciated all your input into my decision making process. I hope you can help Mr. Magnum with his issues!! Buyer's remorse is a huge thing for me - I have never had it with any of my other cars and I don't want to start now. it is a good thing there is research tools like this forum. I am sure my parents buying their minivan in the late 80's maybe had a subscription to CR and the most current Edmunds at the library. I feel like I am making a truly educated decision.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My buyer's remorse was so bad that I literally returned a car one time. The dealership was wonderful about it. I was much younger then, but I am always weary now when making a large purchase.

I was very content with my Expedition. It more than met the needs of our family, but I started getting car fever and looked online a bit. When I saw the Acadia, I knew I wanted one. I then started the extensive amounts of researching, just like you. I am a subscriber to CR and read every piece of data anyone could write on the Acadia.

I love it. Yes, it was more sluggish than I would have liked in the mountains. But, that is a once a year trip for us. And, after reading the threads on it, I did not know enough to manually change gears. I'm sure that would have helped.

We saw at least 5 Acadias on our trip and loved every one. If you can ever be giddy about something, it's me about my new Acadia!

·
Registered
13 Posts
You Should. I'm a mother of two boys (still in car seats) and carpooling multiple kids each week. I can comfortably fit four car seats in the car if necessary or put three kids across the back with no problem. I had a Pilot for four years which I loved, but wanted a change and really wanted a car with Captain's chairs, not a minivan. We considered the Outlook, but it actually wound up coming out more than the Acadia (which I still can't figure out why or how). All in all it's a great car.

·
Registered
164 Posts
msd-na said:
Hi guys I'm new 2 the site, I currently own a Dodge Magnum but been think about trading it in for the Acadia because its not enough room with kids, kids friends and dogs tring 2 get to the beach or park, I need some input on the desicion I'm about 2 make. I would like to put a pic of my mag but dont know how. Well let me hear it.
The Acadia will hold more kids...dogs etc. but you'll miss the power of the hemi.

·
Registered
100 Posts
deanne said:
I'm a mom of 3, all in carseats/boosters. We downsized from a large Expedition to the Acadia, and I love it. We just took our first road trip this weekend, and the cargo space was great for 6. (We took Grandma with us.) And, it was VERY comfortable for everyone.

I have had buyer's remorse twice when purchasing vehicles in the past, and I have to say I LOVE the Acadia. Absolutely love it.
Deanne, I, too, had buyer's remorse with a Yukon Denali...had to sell it after buying it. One of the vehicles my wife is looking at as well as the Acadia is the Expedition (she likes to sit up high.) Can you tell me what your likes and dislikes of the two vehicles are at this point...

·
Registered
111 Posts
BloodRedHog said:
deanne said:

Deanne, I, too, had buyer's remorse with a Yukon Denali...had to sell it after buying it. One of the vehicles my wife is looking at as well as the Acadia is the Expedition (she likes to sit up high.) Can you tell me what your likes and dislikes of the two vehicles are at this point...
I'll be happy to...

Size:
The Expedition is big. And, like your wife, I like sitting high on the road. The Acadia height seems more like a car and lower than I expected, that is, until I look at it next to my husband's sports car. The back end is about the height of a Suburban, but it definitely angles down toward the hood.

Interior:
There is no comparison. The dash presentation in the Acadia is 100% better than in the Expedition. The gauges and knobs, etc. are so superior. It has a much higher end feel to it, and I like the red. (But, I don't know if the Expedition has improved the interior since I bought mine 4 years ago.) The one negative in the Acadia is that I can't change the A/C on the steering wheel. I could on the Exp. and really miss that.

As I say over and over again. I LOVE the captain's chairs. I don't know if you can get them in a new Exp., but I had a full bench in the second row. It was cumbersome, although it did hold all three carseats with little problem. My oldest decided he wanted to start riding in the back, and he literally had to climb to get back there. Plus, when other adults would ride with us, someone would have to climb over the very back since it was too hard to move carseats back there. The captain's chairs are the reason I bought the Acadia.

I do miss the Exp.'s power rear folding seat. I think the manual fold-downs in the Acadia seem lower end. (Of course, my Exp. listed for over $40K four years ago versus $35K for this Acadia.)

I also love the ebony leather interior versus the tan I had in the Exp. I almost chose titanium but decided against it. The ebony has made a huge difference with three little ones already. I love it!!!!

As far as cargo room, I think I read that the Acadia has the same or more as most large SUVs. That is probably true, but the Exp. seemed to be larger. That may be simply because it was an 8-seater, and we could fold the single seat in the back for more storage. But, honestly, my jogging stroller barely fits in the Acadia, and I do have to fold one seat down to get it in there.

And, props to the Exp. for storage up front. The Acadia's console is too small for me, so it simply provides me an arm rest.

Gas Mileage
My main reason for even looking at a vehicle was gas mileage. It is amazing to me that a crossover as large as an Acadia can get decent mileage. Personally, I haven't seen that decent mileage in my city driving (which is what I do 90% of the time). But, I was only getting 10/14 in the Expedition. With high gas prices, I figured it would be worth it to try to find something better on gas. I am disappointed in my mileage (which averaged 12.7 my first tank), but it is still only a few weeks old. I hope it improves!

Exterior
My Exp. was the new body style and since the Exp. are still being sold with that same styling, they look out-dated to me. I really didn't think that until I bought the Acadia. Now, when I see an Exp., it seems like it desperately needs a re-design. It is much boxier looking than the sleek Acadia.

There are advantages to both vehicles, and I really like them both. But, I (thankfully) have not had any regrets about the Acadia.....so far. :) I hope this helps!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes, this helps a lot Deanne.
What were your thoughts on the power of the Exp vs Acadia? Acceleration, passing, etc.?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Deanne has good feedback - I don't own one but here is my take since it was on our shopping list along with the Acadia. I did take my friend's expedition to LA last year with a group of friends and I was the driver and we drove an Expedition during the past week of test drives. I didn't like how I felt like I was surrounded by "wide open spaces" in the front of the Expedition. I like feeling surrounded like a cockpit in the Acadia - a little more carlike. It is extremely roomy inside but short of moving and stuffing an expedition to the ceiling, I don't think I need that much space. There is technically 1-2 more cubic feet of cargo space behind the 3rd row when up in the Acadia over the Expedition. My accord trunk is so large - I will miss that because we can fit the luggage for 4 plus assorted trip junk in the back of my accord and I know I will not be able to do that int he Acadia without folding a seat. Oh well. As for sitting tall, I am going from a Sedan to the Acadia so it sits taller to me. Tall enough.

Deanne - how you can take a jog stroller places...I leave mine at home for neighborhood use and take an umbrella everywhere else. That thing is HUGE, at least mine is - it is a beast!! Now, it will fit in my accord trunk - those trunks are alarmingly large!

·
Registered
111 Posts
BloodRedHog, you can definitely tell a difference in the V-8 and V-6 at acceleration. The only trouble I have had with the Acadia was in the mountains. I really had to hit the accelerator to get the Acadia up the mountain. (It was a literal mountain on a windy road.) We only go once a year, though, and I don't really remember anything good or bad about the Exp.'s performance on that same mountain. Plus, I think reading this board has really made me more aware of the transmission issues. Probably if I had never come here, I wouldn't even think about it. :) And, I am probably not car savvy enough to know how to overcome the slight hesitation I had with the Acadia.

As far as regular driving and passing, I can tell no difference once I am already at a constant speed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mama2girls said:
SNIP

Deanne - how you can take a jog stroller places...I leave mine at home for neighborhood use and take an umbrella everywhere else. That thing is HUGE, at least mine is - it is a beast!! Now, it will fit in my accord trunk - those trunks are alarmingly large!
I don't do it very often, but when I need somewhere to put my purse (like the mall) I take it. It is smaller than the double stroller I used to use, but the jogging stroller is VERY wide. It take a bit to cram it in. :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
My parents bought us some sort of top of the line thing that is called the "SUV" jog stroller made by B.O.B. bike trailer company (they had a friend who worked for them) - it is a mammoth. I wish I had a smaller one. I barely jog, let alone go trail running with a baby!

I am so glad we eliminated the full size SUV's from our list - we drove basically all of them - Yukon, Expedition, Sequoia, etc. I would rather drive a "smaller" large car than a huge large car. I don't see how I have tiny friends driving Yukon XL's/Suburbans - It makes me feel like I am driving a bus.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts