GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys 2013 gmc acedia here I have Firestone destination le tires about 3 years old they are getting low on tread I have 3 small kids and sweaty is number one here can you tell me if I should change my tires base on images tread depth on is rated at 12 when I measured from tires are between 5 and 6 and back are 7 8 and 9. Minimum wear indicator on the tire that smalle rubber between tire tread is almost there passengers tire inside wall has wear. I am thinking of getting same set of tires what do you guys sugest in all season tires

here are some images thanks guys

Attachments

Super Moderator
... what do you guys sugest in all season tires
Round rubber ones always worked best for me. 馃ぃ
Last set I purchased - Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Had Hankook Ventus A/S before that.

Registered
There are many opinions on tires so I'll just drop mine here as well. The 'best' I've found (and there are many, many more that I haven't tried than I have) were the Firestone Destination LE2 (Edit: just noticed they've been replaced by the LE3). As good handling and wet/snow traction as any AS tire I've driven.

That said, looking at your pictures you should be fine with the tires you currently have - unless it rains, snows, sleets or the roads are icy. :LOL:

Super Moderator
That said, looking at your pictures you should be fine with the tires you currently have - unless it rains, snows, sleets or the roads are icy. :LOL:
Gotta keep "sweaty" and the kids safe in bad weather! 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

Reactions: Jmbjr0930

Registered
Pictures show badly worn tires..
YES. .. . replace for the safety of you, the family, and other people on the road.
I would have replaced them 20,000 miles or more ago if they were on our Acadia.
Do you check tire pressure regularly? They appear to have possibly suffered from bouts of under/over inflation.

Registered

Super Moderator
... tires that meet your requirements. ...
Can't forget about requirements to match vehicle characteristics. The owners manual has a fairly good section on selecting the right tire for an Acadia.

Registered
And requirements to where the OP lives, which is Canada.
Sunday my lawns had grown a bit too much to leave for winter, so I cut them.
Today I would say we got 3 1/2 to 4" overnight.
Buy tires that suit you and your location, I choose actual winter tires for winter (which is mandatory on highways here).

Registered
And requirements to where the OP lives, which is Canada.
Sunday my lawns had grown a bit too much to leave for winter, so I cut them.
Today I would say we got 3 1/2 to 4" overnight.
Buy tires that suit you and your location, I choose actual winter tires for winter (which is mandatory on highways here).
Agree with that .. . ! Wow. . . almost 4" overnight !
The area where an owner lives, expected snow fall/driving conditions are the most important. No one type fits all for tire choices, but fortunately, there now are many All Season tires and some with pretty aggressive tred compared to years ago.
But nothing beats dedicated winter driving tires for that purpose.

Registered
Yep all seasons work for many. But it is the law around these here parts to have winter tires if you hit a highway.

Super Moderator
It can be troublesome putting snow tires on just the front of an FWD vehicle. Anyone who owns an FWD Acadia and considers changing to snow tires for winter should think about putting them on all 4 corners. The difference in front and rear traction may put someone in a spin without much advanced warning. Same probably holds true for AWD.

Reactions: Grantv

Registered
Yes, all 4's... even when I had my RWD previous vehicles I put snowies on all corners.

Registered
Yep all seasons work for many. But it is the law around these here parts to have winter tires if you hit a highway.
Agree and understand about it being law to have dedicated snow tires in many places also. In mountain areas even chains are required to have on board.
And. . . it goes without saying that FWD should have snow tires on all 4 wheels. Even with rear wheel drive on snow packed or icy roads not having snow tires on the front unpowered wheels can sometimes be problematic.
Years ago I had to drive some northern hard snow packed roads with just snow tires on the back of a rear wheel drive and if driven too fast, the rear end would start to out run the front and try to do some "drifting" side ways. . . even when going on a straight level paved road.

Reactions: Grantv

Registered
Hi guys 2013 gmc acedia here I have Firestone destination le tires about 3 years old they are getting low on tread I have 3 small kids and sweaty is number one here can you tell me if I should change my tires base on images tread depth on is rated at 12 when I measured from tires are between 5 and 6 and back are 7 8 and 9. Minimum wear indicator on the tire that small rubber between tire tread is almost there passengers tire inside wall has wear. I am thinking of getting same set of tires what do you guys sugest in all season tires

Yes, this gal definitely thinks you need to do some serious shopping for tires. You have some time, depending on how much driving you do and the conditions your driving in, to shop around and even wait for a sale to come up. I have a 2012 SLT that I drive in all types of terrain. I live in Alaska so it's not only on the shore of the rivers and miles and miles of highway miles but also ice and snow. I bought my tires in March so they have run the gamut of terrain and so far have performed beautifully. I purchased from the dealership Uniroyal Tiger Paws, an all season tire, not studded. I shopped around and this was the best deal for the tire I wanted plus I have the dealership guarantee of fixing or replacing the tire for the life of the tire. They were also fairly priced considering that shipping anything to Alaska is astronomical.

Registered
The Michelin Defender LTX M/S All-Season has been the tire of choice lately for all of our vehicles after the OEMs have worn out.

~30,000 miles on my Acadia and they look practically new still, even with Michigan roads and towing. Really impressed with the winter driveability characteristics and haven't found the need to get separate winter tires, which I did with the OEMs.

Costco sells them too, which is a bonus for us.

Registered
Starting with the Size tires you have on your Acadia now, record the Code for Traction, Temperature and Wear. Understand that a tire that gets great Traction, may not get long Wear, and vice versa. You can look up the meaning of the tire codes at the tire manufacturer sites or tire dealers. Personally I would start my selection with a tire designed for an SUV. Truck tires tend to be stiffer (due to work load). Then using the codes, I try to get the best tire based on the codes and what I can afford. Everyone has their own preference based on their own factors. I had Michelin Latitude on my 2wd TrailBlazer and was satisfied with their performance.

Registered
07 GMC Acadia
IMO, if you are asking if you should get new tires before winter, the answer is always yes. Good tires make a huge difference in the snow.

Can't help you on which ones to get though. Having lived in FL for the past 20 years, tire tech has changed too much since I needed a set of winter tires.

Registered
Hi guys 2013 gmc acedia here I have Firestone destination le tires about 3 years old they are getting low on tread I have 3 small kids and sweaty is number one here can you tell me if I should change my tires base on images tread depth on is rated at 12 when I measured from tires are between 5 and 6 and back are 7 8 and 9. Minimum wear indicator on the tire that smalle rubber between tire tread is almost there passengers tire inside wall has wear. I am thinking of getting same set of tires what do you guys sugest in all season tires

I put Continental CrossContact LX25 on mine....They are great in wet weather. Also, based on the pictures, you should monitor the tire pressure a little closer. It looks like they have been run under-inflated a little too often (outer edges worn with between 5 and 9 32nd's of tread)

Registered
2015 GMC Acadia SLT2 w/trailer package
Michelin Defender LTX M/S have been a GREAT set of tires. Winter and summer driving, 2yrs old and probably a little over 30,000 miles driven on them and they are still going strong!
Seems like your tires are wearing unevenly. Make sure you rotate every oil change and alignments will help also.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts