GMC Acadia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GMC Acadia SLT FWD V6
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Mitch is amazing and gets some pretty nasty stuff in!

·
Registered
910 Posts
So your washing yours tomorrow grantv?
Tomorrow!?
I already washed it last week, that'll be it for a bit. :rolleyes: I was just small talking, will stop side tracking...

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Oh that's fine, most of my threads get sidetracked, it's cool. Guess I will be the first to post pics this weekend.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Oh that's fine, most of my threads get sidetracked, it's cool. Guess I will be the first to post pics this weekend.
I think we'd both maybe be benchmarks. Mine; what not to do... I'm a 3-5 times a year guy.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Truth be told, dirt don't hurt, removing it does. A vehicle can stay dirty for years and years and it forms a protective barrier. Removing it properly will reveal perfect paint underneath. So your actually doing a good thing.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have read exactly that, and it's the best excuse I have.
Honestly, I love a clean car, but between a FT job, a side biz, 9 and 6 year old girls, and a fixer house... the car cleanliness is usually not first priority.

Reactions: wrekliss

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
9 & 6 huh? Stress much? lol

·
Registered
910 Posts
The 6 year old is still in her terrible 2's, my wife has her work also!

Reactions: wrekliss

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
The truck turned out better than it was for sure.
But I give a B- for appearance and effort. Mitch did nothing about the hazy headlight lenses. ;)
And. . .. still the rust above the rear fenders. :( And, hey . . . what about that "ceramic spray"?
It's not "baked on" at 140 degrees . ;)
No secret to the methods. Except "somehow" he got it done in 30 minutes in the video? Fast work ! LOL
I've got the same equipment ( power washer, foam cannon, steam cleaner) and supplies and used them on older and really dirty cars when we had them.
Now. . . no old cars and I never let them get that dirty ! LOL

·
Registered
291 Posts
... I'm a 3-5 times a year guy.
For me it's once or twice during the entire period of ownership (length of ownership is not a factor ;) ) - IF I feel really energetic and ambitious. It's a side effect of living in the 'salt belt' and having to do automatic car washes a couple times a week during the winter, after the first couple times you're no longer insane OCD about vehicle appearances or the potential for microscopic paint scratches. And,unlike dirt, salt does not provide a protective barrier and needs to be removed.

However, I do manage to give the interior a good cleaning at least once a year otherwise it can start getting a funky, stale aroma. (No kids at home so once a year is enough.)

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
For me it's once or twice during the entire period of ownership (length of ownership is not a factor ;) ) - IF I feel really energetic and ambitious. It's a side effect of living in the 'salt belt' and having to do automatic car washes a couple times a week during the winter, after the first couple times you're no longer insane OCD about vehicle appearances or the potential for microscopic paint scratches. And,unlike dirt, salt does not provide a protective barrier and needs to be removed.

However, I do manage to give the interior a good cleaning at least once a year otherwise it can start getting a funky, stale aroma. (No kids at home so once a year is enough.)
Salt Belt citizen here also. Our cars also get weekly washes at the high pressure wash in winter. Always hope that under body spray helps remove at least some of the salt. I'f it's not too cold, I'll also use some detail spray right after the wash. Just have a few extra drying towels and micro fiber because it's surprising the film the car wash can leave behind after several washes.
10-4 on the interior. Once or twice a year works for us as well. Except I do the windows usually at least 3 times. Hate that film on the inside. I also have a hand dust mop in each vehicle to keep the dash and upper door panels free of dust now and then.

·
Registered
291 Posts
...have a few extra drying towels and micro fiber because it's surprising the film the car wash can leave behind after several washes.
The wash I go to does a towel dry on the way out so that's not an issue for me. They do manage to streak all the glass so a quick microfiber wipe down of the side windows as soon as I get home takes care of that (front and rear glass is going to be crap in the winter no matter what so I quit wasting time there).

...I also have a hand dust mop in each vehicle to keep the dash and upper door panels free of dust now and then.
I found some 'terry cloth' texture microfiber cloths that work really well for that.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well, while I could write an entire PAGE in response to your post, that's irrelevant and you missed the point of me posting that video.

SO

Instead, I am changing the rules of the competition. You CAN go through a car wash if you wish, just post pics before and after and let the forum decide who has the cleanest vehicle. I will edit the rules on the main page. Which means now anyone can enter!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well, while I could write an entire PAGE in response to your post, that's irrelevant and you missed the point of me posting that video.

SO

Instead, I am changing the rules of the competition. You CAN go through a car wash if you wish, just post pics before and after and let the forum decide who has the cleanest vehicle. I will edit the rules on the main page. Which means now anyone can enter!
Can we take more than one day as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
After careful consideration, I don't see why not. Perhaps do the interior one day and the exterior the next. I realize those without a garage have only so many hours in the morning or evening to do it so yeah, you can take a few days if need be.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Hmmm . .. . that would be an assumption or implying that someone "missed the point".
The video is showing HOW he cleans and details. It's just nothing new to me that's all. :D
Lot's of videos like that. ChrisFix for instance (who some people may not like or agree with).

And he really should do some refinish and restore on those headlights. They must be awfully dim and yellow not to mention a safety concern. Maybe a video of that would be good. Although, many here have newer vehicles without yellowed headlight lenses.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
As a detailer, you can't always do what you WANT to do but only what the customer is willing to pay for. It's painful at times because you want to do it but have to stick to your budget to remain profitable.

You like ChrisFix? Great.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sorry not sure why it did the duplicate pics at the bottom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Quicksilver Metallic Jet Black Leather SLT-1 Tow Package
660 Posts
Well done GM!!!! Black is so hard to keep clean and to shine like that, woo hoo.

21 - 40 of 91 Posts