GMC Acadia Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Mine just started with this issue. My daughter's 2018 did this and after several trips to dealers she traded it for a 2019 which was supposed to not have the problem. Her 2019 is now doing it and my 2019 at 51K just started doing it. Just found this video and I say it is worth a try.

gmc acadia shift to park fix - Bing video
Read this thread linked below.
Tested working, 2017 shift to park fix.
It contains all the info about the cause of the issue and how to fix it or even just bypass it.
The micro switch that causes the issue is over stressed but can be replaced if you are a bit handy.
Take the time to read it all and learn instead of looking for some "quick fix".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All - I have a 2017 GMC Acadia, and this behavior started happening last year when I had an issue with the battery; and unfortunately the warranty had run out by the time it started. One thing that I've noticed which makes the behavior worse is when the vehicle has been washed. It will fail to recognize being in park more frequently for a few days after the car wash.

There is a class action lawsuit specific to the Acadia:

I called the dealership today to see what the cost would be. I told him I have the TSB in hand, and that it's .6 hours + plus the cost of the harness. All he would say is that it's $179 for an "inspection", and then they'll discuss whatever they find wrong with the vehicle. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
23,741 Posts
... All he would say is that it's $179 for an "inspection", and then they'll discuss whatever they find wrong with the vehicle.
What else should they say if it's possible other things may cause the condition?:unsure: No one here has discussed a car wash correlation to the problem.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Hi All - I have a 2017 GMC Acadia, and this behavior started happening last year when I had an issue with the battery; and unfortunately the warranty had run out by the time it started. One thing that I've noticed which makes the behavior worse is when the vehicle has been washed. It will fail to recognize being in park more frequently for a few days after the car wash.

There is a class action lawsuit specific to the Acadia:

I called the dealership today to see what the cost would be. I told him I have the TSB in hand, and that it's .6 hours + plus the cost of the harness. All he would say is that it's $179 for an "inspection", and then they'll discuss whatever they find wrong with the vehicle. :mad:
Well call another GM dealer . . ANY GM dealer Chevy, GMC, etc.
Ask for service, tell them you have the well known 'Shift To Park" issue and want to know hoe much to replace the shifter OR recommended switch and wire harness as indicated.
Keep asking specifically for that and get a price. Just tell them. . this is what you want done. Keep calling dealers till you can find a service writer or department that will do exactly what you are asking for and what is the price ? ? ?
OR. . . stop in at a few GM dealers and talk person to person asking for the same repair items to be installed.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Well call another GM dealer . . ANY GM dealer Chevy, GMC, etc.
Ask for service, tell them you have the well known 'Shift To Park" issue and want to know hoe much to replace the shifter OR recommended switch and wire harness as indicated.
Keep asking specifically for that and get a price. Just tell them. . this is what you want done. Keep calling dealers till you can find a service writer or department that will do exactly what you are asking for and what is the price ? ? ?
OR. . . stop in at a few GM dealers and talk person to person asking for the same repair items to be installed.
But what if the new shifter or harness does not resolve their issue? As @speleos pointed out, there have not been others complaining about the issue being worse after a car wash. It occurred twice on my '18 and had nothing to do with the vehicle being washed.

@AngieR12 may indeed have a different issue that is creating the shift to park error. Some diagnostic time may indeed be needed.

Having the TSB in hand really doesn't mean anything unless one knows they have the most recent TSB. The shift to park TSB has been revised multiple times. Also not sure where they got .6 hours from, TSB 19-NA-206 shows 1.4 labor hours for an Acadia.

·
Registered
2 Posts
But what if the new shifter or harness does not resolve their issue? As @speleos pointed out, there have not been others complaining about the issue being worse after a car wash. It occurred twice on my '18 and had nothing to do with the vehicle being washed.

@AngieR12 may indeed have a different issue that is creating the shift to park error. Some diagnostic time may indeed be needed.

Having the TSB in hand really doesn't mean anything unless one knows they have the most recent TSB. The shift to park TSB has been revised multiple times. Also not sure where they got .6 hours from, TSB 19-NA-206 shows 1.4 labor hours for an Acadia.

I will be calling around to different dealerships to try and have a better experience. The situation I mentioned was with the one I normally go to... I usually tell the service advisors what I do for a living so we can both agree to by-pass the usual pre-amble. This time I forgot... (I'm in the Auto Biz, oddly enough, working for a company who deals with recalls)...

@divotdug, I had an older version of the TSB. :) .06 up to 1.4 is quite a jump in allowable time.

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Slope

·
Registered
155 Posts
I worked on my Shift to Park error today. At 60,000 miles, this is the second time it’s happening; first time entire shifter was replaced by dealer.

I decided to only replace the switch. I also chose to use the GM switch which comes with some wiring and a solenoid under part 84955381. $20 plus shipping online.

I cut off the switch so I didn’t have to replace everything else (much more work). I was able to pop the sides off the console, remove 10 x 10mm bolts, slide console back a few inches, remove the rubber and then plastic trim plate just below USB ports, lift that front edge out of clip, and gain just enough access by lifting to not disconnect all of the various switch connectors. (I posted a much more thorough description of this process last year / search for buzz or rattle shifter).

Although desoldering the old switch and soldering In the new one would have been simple enough, I didn’t feel like sucking fumes today. :). So instead I cut the wires to the old switch close to the switch. Cut the wires to the new switch leaving about 3” leads. Stripped both ends and crimped them together with butte connectors. Wrapped felt tape around the butte connectors just to prevent tapping or rattle against anything inside there. There’s PLENTY of room to use any type of connector you’d want.

Work slow, work gentle, and it’s easy.
I did put a bend into the new switch as JayTee recommended- hopefully that prevents having to fix this a THIRD time in the future.

Reactions: JayTee2019

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I worked on my Shift to Park error today. At 60,000 miles, this is the second time it’s happening; first time entire shifter was replaced by dealer.

I decided to only replace the switch. I also chose to use the GM switch which comes with some wiring and a solenoid under part 84955381. $20 plus shipping online.

I cut off the switch so I didn’t have to replace everything else (much more work). I was able to pop the sides off the console, remove 10 x 10mm bolts, slide console back a few inches, remove the rubber and then plastic trim plate just below USB ports, lift that front edge out of clip, and gain just enough access by lifting to not disconnect all of the various switch connectors. (I posted a much more thorough description of this process last year / search for buzz or rattle shifter).

Although desoldering the old switch and soldering In the new one would have been simple enough, I didn’t feel like sucking fumes today. :). So instead I cut the wires to the old switch close to the switch. Cut the wires to the new switch leaving about 3” leads. Stripped both ends and crimped them together with butte connectors. Wrapped felt tape around the butte connectors just to prevent tapping or rattle against anything inside there. There’s PLENTY of room to use any type of connector you’d want.

Work slow, work gentle, and it’s easy.
I did put a bend into the new switch as JayTee recommended- hopefully that prevents having to fix this a THIRD time in the future.
Thanks for this feedback !
Excellent idea buying the harness and just using the switch. I too have one handy since it's cheap insurance. Also, several Omron switches from the same class as the factory one.
Hoping the repair is the last that has to be done due to the switch. Let us know if not. . .
The only other thing I've read is a pivot pin in the upper shift lever handle sometimes slides out of place and causes a similar issue.
But at least both are repairable without major expense if a person is handy.

Reactions: bxd20

·
Registered
2 Posts
It appears the original case " Napoli-Bosse et al. v. General Motors LLC" was dismissed, however; there are still on-going cases...

One good thing did come out of this court case. The "cause" has been identified. See section "50" below for details.

The parties also dispute how many vehicles were affected by this issue. See, e.g., ECF No. 89-1 at 3-4. But it is undisputed that at least some 2017-2018 GMC Acadia vehicles “contain shifter assemblies that fail to recognize that the vehicles have been placed in park, erroneously direct the driver to ‘Shift to Park,’ and prevent the vehicle from turning off.” ECF
No. 89-1 at ¶ 8. Plaintiff’s expert Darren Manzari opined that “[o]ver one hundred thousand [vehicles] have experienced a defect whereby a ‘Shift to Park’ message appears on the vehicle’s instrument cluster directing the driver to shift their [sic] vehicle to park despite the [fact that the] vehicle is already in park.” ECF No. 92-1 at ¶ 28. 7 After launching an investigation into the shift-to-park defect in August 2017, ECF No. 89-1 at ¶ 56, GM was able to confirm the cause of the issue in August 2018. ECF No. 89-1 at ¶

50. The parties agree that the shift-to-park issue is the result of a defect whereby silicon dioxide or glass (“SIO”) builds up on the park switch contacts in the Class Vehicles’ shifter assemblies, which causes the Class Vehicles to fail to recognize when their transmissions have been placed in the park position and prevents the vehicles shutting off. SIO or glass builds up over time because ‘[t]he park switch has organic silicon within the switch at some point. And through the actions of the
switch opening and closing, that organic silicon is decomposed into its base elements and the organic silicon will immediately reform in the presence of heat into silicon dioxides and attach itself to the surfaces of the switch contacts.’

Now we wait for the next Technical Bulletin to be published with the correct fix for the issue.

For any of you who are also experience intermittent issues with your key fob - that bulletin number is 16-NA-396. Intermittent Operation of Key Fob, Door Unlock Inoperative, "No Remote Detected", message with possible TPM MIL.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Looks and sound like an attempt to *Spam*people to get on board a law suit.

Also. . .. I highly doubt and would need to see proof of SIO2 building up on the micro switch contacts.
IE - - " because ‘[t]he park switch has organic silicon within the switch at some point. "

"At some point . .?" the switch had "organic silicon" inside the switch? How. . .? From where? Why?

After close inspection and study, the more plausible cause is exposing the switch lever and internal mechanism to excessive over travel and causing eventual internal damage to the "snap action" design of the switch.

Reactions: bxd20

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks and sound like an attempt to *Spam*people to get on board a law suit.

Also. . .. I highly doubt and would need to see proof of SIO2 building up on the micro switch contacts.
IE - - " because ‘[t]he park switch has organic silicon within the switch at some point. "

"At some point . .?" the switch had "organic silicon" inside the switch? How. . .? From where? Why?

After close inspection and study, the more plausible cause is exposing the switch lever and internal mechanism to excessive over travel and causing eventual internal damage to the "snap action" design of the switch.
Hi JayTee,

Not sure if I'm reading your message right - I have no feelings one way or another if anyone else considers a lawsuit either of their own making, or to join one of the existing ones. My intent is to share information that is specific to this very issue. The first class-action was dismissed, and the information above, I copied directly from the final decision documents. (Link is above for review).

GM identified Silicon Dioxide to be the cause - again, all of this is in the final decision document referenced at the link above. As these documents are filed with the court, I am assuming GM to be on their best behavior and not lying about the solution. Especially knowing that any of this material could be used against them for any other legal purposes.

**Granted, the technical bulletin information regarding the key fob, was again information to share to the group for those who have also experienced this issue as well. I have experienced both these issues myself, and there were some comments about what was causing the problem, and the fact the dealerships don't seem to be hitting the mark on resolving either of these issues.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts