GMC Acadia Forum banner

161 - 180 of 217 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,300 Posts
My Acadia is out of warranty. I bought it used November 2018. I'm now having this issue too. Does anyone know the cost of the repair out of warranty?
According to GMPartsdirect, the shift control is ~$150. Allow about 2-2.5 hours labor to remove/replace (R&R) the part. Research of regional labor costs would be up to you.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I have a 2018 GMC Acadia Denali which started having an error message every time I turn it off. It says, Action Required, Shift to Park. But the car is in park. This is annoying, as I have to restart the car, put it in drive, put it in park, about 4 or 5 times before it finally reads that its in Park. The car auxiliary stays on, the car beeps and the headlights stay on, so I cannot just leave it, I have to keep restarting it until It registers in park.

Car is 10,000 miles. Anyone else have this issue?
Hey, MyDogsMom. We regret to hear of your shift to park concerns with your Acadia. Please know, your GMC dealership is in the best position to further assist. Our team is more than happy to connect with them on your behalf. To get started, please visit https://s.gm.com/yxg6c.

Aleigha W.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all.... I'm new to this forum. About a week ago I started experiencing the "shift to park " message on my 2018 Acadia that has around 16,000 miles on it. It finally got to the point where I could not get the message and dinging sound to stop. As well, I could not lock my car doors from the outside of the car. I took it in to the dealer today and was told the part was on backorder for 2 to 3 weeks. Thank goodness they did not give me a hard time about fixing the problem. I've heard if we can't replicate the problem we can't fix it too many times. This is even after bringing in a video of the problem. After my husband had a heated conversation I was given a loaner. This is not the first time I've had problems with my Acadia. I'm ready to sell it. I will never buy another GM automobile!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Not good that the 2018 and I have even read of a 2019 or two still getting the "shift to Park" message. Thought that would be fixed by now. It was supposed to be according to some technical reports online.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2017 Acadia SLT-1 with 16K miles and it is doing the exact same thing sporadically over the past 2 weeks and now it does it every day. Same symptoms as you describe and very frustrating. I took it to the dealer today and received the same message regarding GM engineering is working on it.

The "shift to park" message appears as soon as you attempt to power off the vehicle (see attached photo). Instead of bumping the handle I have been testing holding my foot on the brake pedal and wiggling the shifter handle then release both every few seconds. Then the message goes away 5-10 seconds later. So far that has been reliable 4 times in the past 2 days.

I have not had consistent success restarting the vehicle and moving it again.

Anyone have speculation on this issue?

I suspect a switch in the shift know is not getting the signal or is faulty. Perhaps even a physically wearing our of the shift knob.

My biggest concern is being able to power off the vehicle and lock the doors.

Also to ensure that it truly is in park and doesn't roll away.
I have had the same problem with my 2017 Acadia! The entire shifter was replaced by my dealer, and now, several months later, at only 24,000 miles, it is doing it again!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just had ours done last month, 21000 mi. Guess we can look forward to it again about 40k.
I spoke with an attorney in Connecticut (I’m in Texas) who has filed a lawsuit with GMC on behalf of a client over this “shift to park” issue. He said that GMC has indicated that they now have a fix for this problem, but do not have enough parts for everyone. Apparently, since shifters are on backorder, this is the newly designed shifter that will fix the problem. Hopefully you got one of the newly designed ones!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ah, the answer to everything in America, call an attorney.
I saw an article online while searching for an answer to the shifter problem. It had a link to the attorney who was involved in the case, and I sent a message and he called me. Maybe it took someone in Connecticut filing a suit to get GMC to redesign the shifter. Otherwise we could all be replacing shifters til the cows come home, and never get a fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2017 Acadia purchased 11/16 with 51,000 miles on it. Three weeks ago I started to have the same problem with "shift to park". Sometimes it takes up to 5 tries to get it park/turn off. I am glad I found this forum so that when I go to my apt tomorrow I am better prepared. The lady who made my apt today said "you are the 75th person with this same complaint." Which is not very reassuring. My warranty is done according to her over the phone. I hope this doesn't cost too much out of pocket. I am located in Wilmington NC.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 GMC Acadia with 30000 miles on it and it has recently started telling me
To shift to park when I am already in park. I see that a lot of people have had this issue and gmc was looking for a fix. Does anyone know if there is one yet?

·
Super Moderator
18,300 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
The fix for your 2018 is most likely the same as that for the 2017 - replace the shifter assembly. They're nearly identical cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2018 GMC Acadia with 30000 miles on it and it has recently started telling me
To shift to park when I am already in park. I see that a lot of people have had this issue and gmc was looking for a fix. Does anyone know if there is one yet?
I am also having the same issue in my 2017. I have a little under 51,000 miles but warranty is now complete. I took it to the dealership today. The shift assembly needs to be replaced and the total cost will be $681.76. The part is on a national backorder. They have no idea when they will get it in. I called GMC headquarters today and I am waiting for a return call from a supervisor who will get more info and help with my problem. I encourage everyone who has had a problem to file a complaint with them. Maybe eventually they will do a recall. In the meantime I am down $681.76 for this repair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2017 Acadia purchased 11/16 with 51,000 miles on it. Three weeks ago I started to have the same problem with "shift to park". Sometimes it takes up to 5 tries to get it park/turn off. I am glad I found this forum so that when I go to my apt tomorrow I am better prepared. The lady who made my apt today said "you are the 75th person with this same complaint." Which is not very reassuring. My warranty is done according to her over the phone. I hope this doesn't cost too much out of pocket. I am located in Wilmington NC.
Went to dealership today. Will cost $681.76. And it’s on a national backorder so who knows when I will actually get it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update:

About a year ago we took the 2017 Acadia in for a routine service to a GMC dealer in a nearby small town. They had not heard of the Shift to Park issue. Said if they could not duplicate, they couldn't fix it - which is reasonable. How do you fix something if you can't figure out what is wrong. They said they would note the issue so if it came up again after warranty was over, it should still be covered.

Fast forward a year later: Took it in this week to the same dealer. Mentioned the Shift to Park, they said that they have replaced "many" of them. They didn't ask for details, they just simply replaced it. Had the part in stock.

What is disturbing is that it now appears that it's possible that the replacement part might not be any better than the one they took out. Don't know if it is the "new" design that is being mentioned here.

Oh, well.

Hans.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our GMC Arcadia had a problem when shifting to park then receiving signal car is not in park. I know GM says they are working on the problem but do not have a solution. I took ours to the dealer that we purchased from. They fixed it and charged me $100.00 (car is in warranty). If there is no fix how did they fix it? I assume a band-aid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Installed new sifter system, under extended warranty so the $100 was my deductible.

From what I've read on line GM still does not now why the problem occurs.

161 - 180 of 217 Posts
About this Discussion
216 Replies
64 Participants
divotdug
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing