GMC Acadia Forum banner

141 - 160 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Here’s a possibility, perhaps a lawsuit based on rolling over people including the driver as they were trying to get out of the p.o.s. I have a 2018 Denali doing the same **** thing. Has 17k on it. Haven’t got it to the dealer yet but am working up patience for the battle.
The vehicle should not roll while in park... the message is a result of a faulty signal / input from the shifter that tells the computer that the vehicle isn't in park when in reality it is firmly in park. Not a safety issue, just a real annoyance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 Acadia Shift to Park Issue

New here, my 2018 Acadia, 14K miles, just started with this issue yesterday and its happening almost every time I park now. I cannot lock my vehicle, the dashboard message continues to ding after I shut the doors. I have to start and shut off the vehicle several times, jiggle the shifter back and forth from P-R-D-R-P, and it finally stops and recognizes it. I have read through a lot of this thread and I am confused about the lawsuit? My vehicle is still under warranty, so I'm assuming it will be fixed since its a known issue?

Thanks for any feedback

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also new here. Sorry if I missed others with this same issue ... my '17 Acadia Denali began the "Shift to Park" notice in the DIC when turning off vehicle a few weeks ago. Happened for about 3 days and then one (very cold) day when I went to start it parked in a parking garage, the vehicle would not shift - at all - out of park. Car started just fine, but also noticed that a few electrical components weren't working - heated seats, heated steering wheel, front blower and right tail lights. Long ordeal, but had it towed to dealer - they fixed the shift lock-up issue immediately, but took two weeks (working with GM engineers) to diagnose what was causing the electrical problems. Finally diagnosed as a loose wire connection that they believed was exacerbated by the cold (the electrical issues would resolve on their own when the vehicle was left in shop overnight; acted up again if left outside). Anyway, got the Acadia back in two weeks.

Had it for about a week and the "Shift to Park" issue returned. I will have to bring it back to the dealer to see about this, but thankfully none of the other issues have returned. Wondering if anyone else has had these other problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also new here. Sorry if I missed others with this same issue ... my '17 Acadia Denali began the "Shift to Park" notice in the DIC when turning off vehicle a few weeks ago. Happened for about 3 days and then one (very cold) day when I went to start it parked in a parking garage, the vehicle would not shift - at all - out of park. Car started just fine, but also noticed that a few electrical components weren't working - heated seats, heated steering wheel, front blower and right tail lights. Long ordeal, but had it towed to dealer - they fixed the shift lock-up issue immediately, but took two weeks (working with GM engineers) to diagnose what was causing the electrical problems. Finally diagnosed as a loose wire connection that they believed was exacerbated by the cold (the electrical issues would resolve on their own when the vehicle was left in shop overnight; acted up again if left outside). Anyway, got the Acadia back in two weeks.

Had it for about a week and the "Shift to Park" issue returned. I will have to bring it back to the dealer to see about this, but thankfully none of the other issues have returned. Wondering if anyone else has had these other problems.
Does anyone have a link to the TSB issued that has the fix for this issue?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ok everyone here is what you have been looking for.

TSB 18-NA-297 Replace Transmission Shifter Control Assembly.

Shifter F 13528228

This is the TSB for the shift to park complaint. It addresses the dealer to change the entire shifter control with a new updated part.

This should solve the issue. Mine was in today and the number comes from the invoice. No hassles and no questions they took the Acadia in and had it fixed in 3 hours.

I was expecting issues after reading here but they had the new TSB and the part was in stock.

I hope this helps. No need for any more fighting with dealers, useless class action lawsuits and no frantic I have to trade this off anymore.

If you are having the issue video it or take a photo to show them what is going on if it is intermittent.

The new shifter appear to have less play.

I do not have the full TSB yet but I should be able to get it at work next week if it is published yet.

Anyways it is fixed and no grief thanks to Toth GMC.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ok everyone here is what you have been looking for.

TSB 18-NA-297 Replace Transmission Shifter Control Assembly.

Shifter F 13528228

This is the TSB for the shift to park complaint. It addresses the dealer to change the entire shifter control with a new updated part.

This should solve the issue. Mine was in today and the number comes from the invoice. No hassles and no questions they took the Acadia in and had it fixed in 3 hours.

I was expecting issues after reading here but they had the new TSB and the part was in stock.

I hope this helps. No need for any more fighting with dealers, useless class action lawsuits and no frantic I have to trade this off anymore.

If you are having the issue video it or take a photo to show them what is going on if it is intermittent.

The new shifter appear to have less play.

I do not have the full TSB yet but I should be able to get it at work next week if it is published yet.

Anyways it is fixed and no grief thanks to Toth GMC.
GM knew there was an issue. The pending PIP told us this a while back. But they have to go in redesign, test and then produce the parts. Unfortunately auto makers follow this parts and generally do not speak out on just what the issue is. Even dealers are generally left in the dark.

Most times this is done as they do not want to admit anything till there is a fix found and ready. Even then it goes out as a TSB to only be used on people who come in.

Legally automakers often have to remain silent or anything they say could be used against them by unscrupulous lawyers.

I participated on a headlight issue that took a little more than a years to come up with a fix, test it and distribute the repair parts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Had the same thing. After reading posts on the issue here, I took the vehicle to the DEALER. The DEALER quickly diagnosed and replaced whatever part was causing the issue. .............. Not sure why there is so much anguish. The DEALER was right on top of the issue. :-/

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just saying this started on our 2018 recently, we're around 15,000 miles, will be taking to the dealer. Thanks for posting the TSB!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone on this thread had this repaired out of warranty? What was the cost?

Looking back in the thread I did not find anyone who had to pay out of pocket for this issue.

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
Has anyone on this thread had this repaired out of warranty? What was the cost? ...
Easy to get a ballpark figure for that yourself. Use the part number to find out what the shifter costs on a GM parts site. Use full list price because that's what the dealer will charge you. Then, estimate labor will be about 2-2.5 hours @ your dealership's labor rate. Labor rates vary more than part prices as a general rule.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So.... I recently had this “shift to park” issue with my 2017 Denali at around 29,000 miles. Last weekend the dealer replaced the shifter assembly, which is the prescribed fix still, correct? Today my wife reported that she got a “shift to park” message but it was much easier to clear than before. I’m thinking I’ll wait a week or so and see how it goes before running back to the dealer. How many others have had problems after the shifter assembly was replaced?

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
So.... I recently had this “shift to park” issue with my 2017 Denali at around 29,000 miles. Last weekend the dealer replaced the shifter assembly, which is the prescribed fix still, correct? Today my wife reported that she got a “shift to park” message but it was much easier to clear than before. I’m thinking I’ll wait a week or so and see how it goes before running back to the dealer. How many others have had problems after the shifter assembly was replaced?
Maybe the dealer had a brand new (but old inventory) shifter on the shelf and just did an exact swap. The new shifter assembly is a different part number.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Supposedly it was a brand new unit; had to wait a few days for it to arrive. It’s continuing to act up so we will do round two at the dealer soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 GMC Acadia Denali which started having an error message every time I turn it off. It says, Action Required, Shift to Park. But the car is in park. This is annoying, as I have to restart the car, put it in drive, put it in park, about 4 or 5 times before it finally reads that its in Park. The car auxiliary stays on, the car beeps and the headlights stay on, so I cannot just leave it, I have to keep restarting it until It registers in park.

Car is 10,000 miles. Anyone else have this issue?

141 - 160 of 219 Posts
About this Discussion
218 Replies
64 Participants
JayTee2019
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing