GMC Acadia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just an update I found out if you turn the headlight switch to manual on BEFORE you turn off the vehicle, the Shift to Park will not appear 99.9% of the time. Hope it helps so other Acadia owners won’t have a dead battery since the vehicle will turn off the headlight even you forgot to turn it off.
Interesting, I was parked on the street in DC this weekend and of course the Shift to Park came on so now my lights wouldn't go off until I manually turned them off. Unfortunately the auxiliary power stayed on, don't know how long that stays on but at least I didn't have to experience a dead battery on a Sunday in Washington DC.

I have found that when I open the back door before I start the car and I park it I get the "rear message" so I'm wondering if that trumps the shift to park message. There are no issues locking the vehicle so I have also been doing that even when I don't have anything to put in the back seat, along with the wiggle tip.

It looks like we have all found some sort of trick to trump the park debacle.

Good luck to all

·
Super Moderator
18,302 Posts
It's too bad they have to replace the whole assembly, as the problem is likely just a switch or sensor that probably could be replaced separately.
Auto techs aren't generally trained in electronic component repair. Parts like that are most likely sent back to the component manufacturer, refurbished, and put up for sale on eBay. :wink:

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
My dealer has had my car 33 days today... I was told on Friday that a part was being sent this week, but not given any tracking information. I also do not think I am first in line for the part, as I know there was at least one car in for this issue when I left mine. I am not confident that I will have a vehicle this week. I have escalated my issue through GMC, as they don't seem to be coming forth with any real parts or corrective actions and the dealership is just in waiting mode. I am over it. I do wish if you were having this issue you would report it and not just "jiggle" the handle as these cars are too expensive for a problem that GMC created to be overlooked. We shouldn't have to do acrobatics to get it into park. My husband was unaware of such antics and the first time he drove it.... BOOM dead battery due to auxiliary power.
I don't know why you have had to leave the vehicle, mine is perfectly safe to drive, it is just annoying. The vehicle is going into PARK absolutely, it just fails to 'sense' it is in park and therefore the error message.

The price of the vehicle has NOTHING to do with potential design problems or faulty parts. Some failures only become evident over time / use. The same parts are used in the Cadillac version, the Buick version, and the GMC version of this vehicle.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Update:

I've now had my Acadia into the dealership on three different occasions for this issue. On all three visits the "Shift to Park" error occurred when I exited the vehicle, however when the tech pulled into the service bay he could not duplicate. I was permitted in the service bay to attempt to get the problem to occur again, but it just wouldn't do it! The tech has reported that he has seen the condition each time (in the parking lot) but can not diagnose it outside (too far from the big scanner) and I can agree with that.

The last time I left the dealership, I exited from the service bay myself as he let me drive the car out after I was unable to duplicate the problem. I had left some belongings in the waiting room, so I parked the Acadia near the showroom and turned it off.... "Shift to PARK" message!!! **** car LOL

Anyway, tech comes outside and jumps into the drivers seat, went to drive it back into the service bay and immediately upon depressing the shifter release button the error goes off.

Now when I get the error, I just depress that button a few times and it clears. I still don't have parts on the way as the dealership stands behind the whole.... "can't duplicate customer complaint"

Tech wants to order an entire shifter assembly, but service manager refuses unless they can duplicate and diagnose the problem within the shop.

I'm going to keep scheduling appointments until it's fixed, and it seems like we have a starting point. The Tech is great, and I'm sure he will make sure it is actually repaired before my warranty is over (soon!)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sift to Park

Here's a thought - since it is happening to all of us at the same time with different mileage - could we have had an electronic update that is somehow failing electronically? Mine randomly started about 2 weeks ago. I thought it was all the rain since it started after driving home in a horrible rain storm and stopped after a few days of no rain. I had 32K when it started, it is a 2017.

Just a thought. I know nothing about new technology.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just a recap and heads up. The dealership put that "boot" on my 2017 Acadia 14k miles on 07/02/18 and the shift to park happened again on 07/04/18. I took it back to the dealer on 07/08/18 and they said they have to wait until the part comes in and they will call me when it comes. Not knowing the part they were talking about was another "boot"...so they called me on 07/14/18 and they said the part came in and bring it in. I told them they already put a "boot" on the car and they said OK well bring it in anyway and we will look at it again and see. I took the car in on 07/16/18, they keep the car until 07/28/18 and they replaced the shift assembly. I picked up the vehicle on 07/28 and as of 7/31 (today) I haven't had the problem happen again so far.

So it seems like these cars may need new shift assemblies instead of that "boot" thing because it didn't work.
As of 08/03/18 still haven't received the message.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update for those who are following. Dropped our 2017 Acadia off July 19. Said the shift assembly needs to be replaced. The part was on back order. The part came in yesterday, August 2. They installed today. So far no more shift to park messages! We are in Maryland with 35,500 miles in case anyone is curious.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had an appointment today to have the boot replaced on my 2017 SLE. I called my dealer Tuesday and shared the updates from this blog with him and asked if there are any new bulletins declaring the "right" fix. He said as of 7/3 (last bulletin) there was no change. He did tell me that when the car was in for the oil change on 7/14 the tech did the required massage to the boot and the message still appeared, he (the tech) also felt it wasn't the boot causing the issue. My Service Rep said it was my decision as to whether or not I wanted to come in and have the boot replaced. I decided to opt out and asked if I could wait until GM declared the "right" fix. I also asked if my decision not to take the recommended fix (since its wrong) if it would void my warranty. He assured me since the problem was documented at 34989 and I have since exceeded my 36k mileage warranty limit I would be covered. I surely hope he was being truthful. I have discovered another interesting occurrence on this message. Yesterday I decided to not do the wiggle before shutting off the car and surprisingly the message only came up on the 4th and 5th shut off. As someone else in this group mentioned it is annoying but not detrimental to the operation of the vehicle so I'll deal with it until GM declares the correct fix. My Dealer thinks a recall will be coming.

Thank you all for sharing your stories and locations. I will continue to monitor this blog and give updates on my situation as well. Good Luck everyone

·
Registered
38 Posts
I received a call from GMC Customer Care yesterday following up on my "boot" repair on 8/4. So glad they are on top of stuff since I opt out of having the repair done. I did tell the caller that I was very upset with GM that this is the first call I received since I notified GM (on their website) on 7/12 of the issue. I explained how other dealers (thanks to this blog) were doing a different fix that seemed to be the correct fix and how do "all" dealers not know this same information. I was adamant and asked that GM give my dealer the authorization to do the Shift Gear Assembly instead of the Boot. Can't wait to see how long that will take. I haven't had the message now in 2 days and I have been starting and stopping the vehicle a lot over the weekend. Can't help but wonder if it fixed itself.

·
Registered
64 Posts
With all the dang computers and monitoring systems in newer vehicles, I mean for f-sake we can't even change our reverse bulbs to LED's because it will cause major malfunctions, how the **** are dealers still pulling the we can't duplicate the problem line of BS?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
With all the dang computers and monitoring systems in newer vehicles, I mean for f-sake we can't even change our reverse bulbs to LED's because it will cause major malfunctions, how the **** are dealers still pulling the we can't duplicate the problem line of BS?
Because it is not a line of BS. Random electrical failures can be very difficult to duplicate and troubleshoot. That is compounded by owners that are reluctant to pay for diagnostic time.

·
Super Moderator
18,302 Posts
The car is run and monitored by 20+ cell phone-like systems. One tweets a bogus message to the others, then deletes the tweet, but others broadcast the message. How do you find which one sent out the misinformation? ... ... Think about it!! :devil:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update:

I've now had my Acadia into the dealership on three different occasions for this issue. On all three visits the "Shift to Park" error occurred when I exited the vehicle, however when the tech pulled into the service bay he could not duplicate. I was permitted in the service bay to attempt to get the problem to occur again, but it just wouldn't do it! The tech has reported that he has seen the condition each time (in the parking lot) but can not diagnose it outside (too far from the big scanner) and I can agree with that.

The last time I left the dealership, I exited from the service bay myself as he let me drive the car out after I was unable to duplicate the problem. I had left some belongings in the waiting room, so I parked the Acadia near the showroom and turned it off.... "Shift to PARK" message!!! **** car LOL

Anyway, tech comes outside and jumps into the drivers seat, went to drive it back into the service bay and immediately upon depressing the shifter release button the error goes off.

Now when I get the error, I just depress that button a few times and it clears. I still don't have parts on the way as the dealership stands behind the whole.... "can't duplicate customer complaint"

Tech wants to order an entire shifter assembly, but service manager refuses unless they can duplicate and diagnose the problem within the shop.

I'm going to keep scheduling appointments until it's fixed, and it seems like we have a starting point. The Tech is great, and I'm sure he will make sure it is actually repaired before my warranty is over (soon!)
I had the same "Shift to Park" message on my 2017 Acadia with less than 10,000 miles and was in and out of the dealership for 3 weeks. They finally replaced the entire shifter assembly. I haven't had another issue.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My 2017 Denali started having this issue few weeks back. I am at 26K miles. Took car to the dealership, explained him the issue, showed him video (I had taken when problem occurred). Luckily when I parked my car at dealership service dept, the problem happened right there. So showed the tech manager issue while it happened.

He said they have at-least one another person come-in with same issue and that when they contacted GM engineering, dealership was asked to give them following information about the issue for GM to further analyze the issue. So I had to take my car back and go-in again when I have answer to their question.

GM engineers want to know, (when this problem occurs) when you move shifter to Park position, does the 'P' symbol illuminate both on shifter and Driver console or just one of them. Somehow knowing this is going to help them with their analysis further. Unfortunately I never observed what happens to the 'P' symbol and none of my video recordings have captured that. Since until you switch-off your vehicle you don't know if issue is going to happen or not, I will have to now keep taking note of 'P' status every single time I am going to switch-off my car.

Was wondering if anyone else was asked this question by their dealership and if anyone already knows the details about this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My dealer didn’t ask me nor did I take note if the P on the area above the steering wheel was illuminated or not. If it was, I didn’t noticed because the error message consumed my brain LOL. I will add, my dealer installed a new shift assembly and I haven’t had any shift to park messages since and it’s been over a week.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My dealer didn’t ask me nor did I take note if the P on the area above the steering wheel was illuminated or not. If it was, I didn’t noticed because the error message consumed my brain LOL. I will add, my dealer installed a new shift assembly and I haven’t had any shift to park messages since and it’s been over a week.
@Gmcacadia2017 , good to know that issue is gone with replaced shift assembly.
They did tell you if GM was able to find the root cause of the issue and that the new assembly has the issue fixed in it?
My worry is what if they haven't fixed anything in these assemblies and are providing same assemblies (like ones from 2017-18 ) and issue doesn't occur only because they are new as of now. 2-3 years down the line same issue might show up and our warranties also might have ended :(

·
Registered
38 Posts
Message came on this morning and I especially observed what the indicator showed on the display. The P was in place and so was my wonderful message LOL. Still waiting to hear back from my dealer once GM authorizes them to replace the Shift Assembly instead of the Boot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
They did not state what the “actual” issue is. On the paper it says “automatic transmission Range selector lever replacement.” Very valid point... I would hope they came out with an updated version of the shift assembly instead of replacing it with another one that could fail. That would really suck because like you said, warranty would be up. Or maybe they would put a recall out? I did buy a bumper to bumper extended warranty since I bought my Acadia used so it has 4 years left, but still. It’s the principal.

41 - 60 of 217 Posts
About this Discussion
216 Replies
64 Participants
divotdug
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing