GMC Acadia Forum banner

461 - 469 of 469 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was it replaced under warranty? If so why are you upset? Not exactly a first world problem. Failed twice on my '18, I didn't find it a big deal.
It was not under warranty. I was over by 4000 miles from warranty. I'm happy for you that your financial state allows you to have the ability to not worry about unexpected expenses. $600 for us right now was not in the budget. Had I known this was a KNOWN issue, I wouldn't have bought it. We have only had the vehicle for 15 months.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
It was not under warranty. I was over by 4000 miles from warranty. I'm happy for you that your financial state allows you to have the ability to not worry about unexpected expenses. $600 for us right now was not in the budget. Had I known this was a KNOWN issue, I wouldn't have bought it. We have only had the vehicle for 15 months.
Did you research the vehicle BEFORE you bought it?

·
Super Moderator
21,713 Posts
... Had I known this was a KNOWN issue, ...
It's a "known issue" with a bunch of newer makes and models - not just GM. Yeah, it costs some to fix it, but most things you don't DIY will be in the $500-$600 range at almost any shop. Better pad the vehicle maintenance budget so you don't have 'sticker shock' again.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Anyone know how to join the lawsuit?
It can pretty easily repaired DIY or at a capable automotive electrical repair shop. The switch and wire harness part numbers are here in the thread link below and available the last time I looked for $30 or so.

That is what the TSB indicates. They install P/N 84955381 for Acadia and some other.
The linked thread contains the info as well as the included TSB on pdf download.
Also another thread regarding the over travel that is the root cause of the failed micro switch.
Several here, like the OP, have had the shifter replaced and the issue returns eventually. Unless the switch specification was improved.

There is also a simple mod to the micro switch lever that may resolve the over travel stress to the micro switch.

Picture below of the new micro switch harness and park interlock solenoid - - -

View attachment 10759 - - Click To Enlarge Photo - -

·
Registered
3 Posts
This happened to me and I had to take it back to the dealer two times before they would replace the shift lever to fix it. However, have a few tips until you can get it repaired.
  • Do NOT kick, punch or beat up the shifter (you will only hurt yourself or break something else)
  • Do NOT restart the engine (this will not clear it)
  • Do NOT move the shift lever out of park (this is unnecessary)
  • Just squeeze and release the button on the front of the shift lever.
With the engine off, trans in Park and the "Shift to Park" message on the screen -- Simply squeeze the shift release button (as if you were about to shift it out of park) and release the button. Usually doing this once or twice is enough for the car to sense that the shift lever is in park.

·
Registered
140 Posts
For what it's worth ..... My '17 SLT with 52k recently started giving me a shift-to-park error AGAIN. It was repaired 2 years ago at about 30k miles under warranty. After an initial warranty rejection by GMC, the service writer at the dealer chased down warranty help for me, and did the repair for a small co-pay. ..... A big shout out to Ewing GMC in Plano, TX. For the record, the first repair was the shifter. The 2nd repair was the wiring harness.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
For what it's worth ..... My '17 SLT with 52k recently started giving me a shift-to-park error AGAIN. It was repaired 2 years ago at about 30k miles under warranty. After an initial warranty rejection by GMC, the service writer at the dealer chased down warranty help for me, and did the repair for a small co-pay. ..... A big shout out to Ewing GMC in Plano, TX. For the record, the first repair was the shifter. The 2nd repair was the wiring harness.
Thanks for the feedback. Good to know a dealer stepped up for you and repaired according to the TSB.

461 - 469 of 469 Posts