GMC Acadia Forum banner

441 - 460 of 469 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,713 Posts
Really!?! Do you have any statistics for pre-design product failure on that? I'd imagine GM and manufacturer's engineers have a whole set of statistics on failure analysis. How many of those failures are caused by those people who work their shifter like they're polishing the bishop? Seems like you might have a good handle to establish a database for that!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Yes . . Really ! ! ! how many exclamation points shall a person need. . . ;)

Other GM vehicles also use a similar design using a micro switch to signal the "Park" position, but a slightly different install within the shifter and a different more robust switch. Those have not had any significant Shift To Park message issues.
The fact the the Acadia, Chevrolet Volt and Malibu . . . all using the same basic design and micro switch are evidence enough along with the TSBs ( at least 2 or 3 in the case of the Acadia) that have been issued.

GM does not issue TSBs for nothing. You can do any database leg work if you are that interested. I did enough studying and owning a spare shifter to see what the issue is as well as the data that shows the shifter design exceeds the over travel specification of the Omron micro switch in question.

No need to reply . . . . not interested in arguing with baseless opinion and deflecting off the root cause.

·
Super Moderator
21,713 Posts
TSB are written like an "if - then" statement for programming techs to a quick resolution of a vehicle's problem. They're not suggestive of widespread failure with the product.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
And yet . . . the problem exists. . .. ;)

·
Super Moderator
21,713 Posts
So do others for which myriad TSBs are written.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Not exactly right or ethical if a manufacturing/design defect becomes evident like in the shifter micro switch installation and a company issues a TSB, but won't cover a repair if an owner has no influence on causing the failure. The Shifter Park micro switch failure is due to an over travel stress on the switch which could occur in weeks, months or several years. It still is a design defect.

GM and other car makers have usually offered extended warranty repair on chronic part failure issues.

I worked for GM for +30 years and am embarrassed by this kind of thing and the lack of diligence that results in a customer left holding the bag because of it. This kind of thing seems to have become more common place in the past 10 to 15 years for things as simple as this Shift To Park issue to 2.4Lengine PCV freezing/oil seal blow out, oil consumption (piston rings . .timing chains) to earlier 6 speed transmission wave plate issues and others. TSBs and special coverage helped out in * some * of those cases, but only some and the issues should not have happened at all IMO.
I don't understand your position on TSB's. Are you suggesting that when automakers issue a TSB they should cover the cost associated with the TSB? Heck, since 2007 there have been around 2000 TSB's issued on the Acadia.

The problem occurred twice on my '18. Both covered under warranty. Did I do something to cause the failure, I don't think so but who knows. If it failed a third time outside of warranty, that would be my expense unless I extended the warranty. In my mind that is the way things should work.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I don't understand your position on TSB's. Are you suggesting that when automakers issue a TSB they should cover the cost associated with the TSB? Heck, since 2007 there have been around 2000 TSB's issued on the Acadia.

The problem occurred twice on my '18. Both covered under warranty. Did I do something to cause the failure, I don't think so but who knows. If it failed a third time outside of warranty, that would be my expense unless I extended the warranty. In my mind that is the way things should work.
My reasoning is in the previous post below and what I have outlined in the previous several posts. . . because GM has yet to come up with any special coverage on this problem like it has on other ones mentioned and there are more.

It is a design defect and caused by exceeding the over travel limit of the micro switch as per spec from the switch manufacture. The over travel is caused by an incorrect design. Ergo . . . any failure should be on the company that neglected to see the consequence of letting it out to customers.

In truth, I believe that simple offset on the micro switch lever . . . as I and others like a mentioned Chevy Volt owner have advised in several posts here and elsewhere . . would alleviate the over travel problem.
I'll stake my +50 years in electronic and electrical experience plus the previously linked Chevrolet Volt owner who documented what he had found as proof enough.

Did you read and look at that link to see what is shown?

If you haven't read and reviewed that and all the previous info in this and the other linked threads. . then pointless to debate. It is what it is.

Enough has already been said about this and in the other Shift To Park threads.

I'll leave it up to present and future readers to conclude their own opinions without more clutter to confuse and deflect.

Not exactly right or ethical if a manufacturing/design defect becomes evident like in the shifter micro switch installation and a company issues a TSB, but won't cover a repair if an owner has no influence on causing the failure. The Shifter Park micro switch failure is due to an over travel stress on the switch which could occur in weeks, months or several years. It still is a design defect.

GM and other car makers have usually offered extended warranty repair on chronic part failure issues.

I worked for GM for +30 years and am embarrassed by this kind of thing and the lack of diligence that results in a customer left holding the bag because of it. This kind of thing seems to have become more common place in the past 10 to 15 years for things as simple as this Shift To Park issue to 2.4Lengine PCV freezing/oil seal blow out, oil consumption (piston rings . .timing chains) to earlier 6 speed transmission wave plate issues and others. TSBs and special coverage helped out in * some * of those cases, but only some and the issues should not have happened at all IMO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seems right, ethical and legal to me. What seems unethical to me is an owner expecting someone else to pay for their out of warranty repairs......at least in my opinion.
A simple google search would show you that this is a very common issue with not just Acadias but other GM models as well. Also the NHTSA has hundreds of complaints for this issue with the Acadia alone. You can’t tell me that all these drivers from all over the country drive their vehicles the same way, same distances, same amount of hours making them at fault for this issue. The only common denominator here IS the vehicle itself.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
A simple google search would show you that this is a very common issue with not just Acadias but other GM models as well. Also the NHTSA has hundreds of complaints for this issue with the Acadia alone. You can’t tell me that all these drivers from all over the country drive their vehicles the same way, same distances, same amount of hours making them at fault for this issue. The only common denominator here IS the vehicle itself.
I agree - -
Did you know you or someone you know or a capable shop could easily repair this. . . with a more permanent solution than replacing the shifter or wiring harness and switch?

·
Super Moderator
21,713 Posts
... Also the NHTSA has hundreds of complaints for this issue with the Acadia alone. ...
The number of complaints there is a very small percentage of the hundreds of thousands of vehicles produced. It doesn't say how many complaintant's vehicles were subsequently repaired under warranty, or if it was a recurring problem.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Did not say they are necessarily at fault. Happened twice to my '18. I said if the repair is needed outside of warranty, the owner is responsible for the price of the repair.

If down the road GM offers special coverage on the shifter, owners can submit their receipts and get reimbursed.

A simple process that seems to work quite well.

If an owner wants more coverage they should buy an extended warranty or just get a new one every 3 years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Already replaced this once due to same issue on my 2018 Denali and headed to shop again since it is again happening. Clearly a design flaw if it is happening after replaced once.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Already replaced this once due to same issue on my 2018 Denali and headed to shop again since it is again happening. Clearly a design flaw if it is happening after replaced once.
There have been several TSB's to repair the issue. Not all successful. The latest TSB appears to do the trick.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Hopefully, the latest will . . . IMO I have my doubts unless the proper micro switch specs of operation was improved.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ditto. It must be programmed into the software in the car. My '17 with 51k just started doing the same thing. BTW, it was 'fixed' under warranty at about 15k. I've seen other threads on the topic with some solutions that I need to research. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
21,713 Posts
That's a TSB?
There is an updated TSB, likely written after the initial repair on your vehicle. It is not a recall. Don't expect it to be fixed 'under warranty' this time.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Ditto. It must be programmed into the software in the car. My '17 with 51k just started doing the same thing. BTW, it was 'fixed' under warranty at about 15k. I've seen other threads on the topic with some solutions that I need to research. :confused:
Um pardon. . but who or what post are you replying to? Kind of difficult to discern the context of a quoteless reply.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not good that the 2018 and I have even read of a 2019 or two still getting the "shift to Park" message. Thought that would be fixed by now. It was supposed to be according to some technical reports online.
I have a 2019 and just had to have mine replaced TODAY. I am so pissed. I am currently on a chat with them. This should NOT be mine to fix. There should be a standing recall for all the Acadia's for WHEN it happens. If this happens again, I WON'T be paying for it. I will be getting a new car. This is absurd!!!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I have a 2019 and just had to have mine replaced TODAY. I am so pissed. I am currently on a chat with them. This should NOT be mine to fix. There should be a standing recall for all the Acadia's for WHEN it happens. If this happens again, I WON'T be paying for it. I will be getting a new car. This is absurd!!!
Was it replaced under warranty? If so why are you upset? Not exactly a first world problem. Failed twice on my '18, I didn't find it a big deal.

441 - 460 of 469 Posts