GMC Acadia Forum banner

421 - 440 of 469 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,713 Posts
FWIW, GMPartsDirect shows new part numbers for replacement shifter assemblies on 2017-2019 Acadias. Individual part descriptions have new and old numbers. Other GM parts sites list them, too.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Links or old and new part number? All I see when I go there are limited number of selections in each category and some accessory items.
I see GMPartsGiant has something listed. But there already was a new and old part number some months back.
Says Old - -- 84528982
Replaced By: 84699764

In fact, there have been 3 other previous P/N : 84005896, 84159722, and 84333726.

Still unknown if there actually is a revised micro switch in the shifter itself.

·
Super Moderator
21,713 Posts
Links or old and new part number? ...
It's BS if you expect links and numbers for every possible build. People can look up things for their own vehicle. Enter vehicle info, 'body' section, and 'center console' to get there on most of the GM parts sites. Many seem to have consolidated the format - no more 'what it fits' block.

·
Super Moderator
21,713 Posts
Still unknown if there actually is a revised micro switch in the shifter itself.
That's easily resolved. Buy a new one and take it apart. You can report the findings on the forum once you're done.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Or. . we can wait and see if more owners continue to report an issue after this "new" and latest P/N is in use.
Not to mention and as we all well know. . . GM issues new part numbers on many parts all the time for any number of reasons. . . or no apparent reason at all.
Keeps the part guys and techs on their toes? :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: bxd20

·
Super Moderator
21,713 Posts
All the postings about recurring problems seem to have settled down both here and on other sites. We shall see!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Took my 2108 (30Kmiles) in this week for the Shift to Park problem. Have been advised that GM now recognizes the problem to be with the micro switch used in the shifter to indicated that it is in fact in Park. The fix is replacement of the shift mechanism, not the harness. The replacement shifter has an improved micro switch. This is covered under warranty.
Hey PeteJ - --
Hoping you have some more info about the shifter having an improved micro switch? Is there a part number perhaps on the your copy of the repair order? Or a TSB?
Happy New Year. . .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hoping you have some more info about the shifter having an improved micro switch? Is there a part number perhaps on the your copy of the repair order? Or a TSB?
I just had this issue repaired the other day at my local dealer. They replaced a switch (84955381) and installed the harness (84733196) referenced in TSB 19-NA-206. My 17' Acadia was in 2.5 years ago for the same issue where they replaced the whole shifter assembly (84528982). Hopefully this new switch does the trick.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Thank you for posting your results,

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got mine fixed at the dealership today. He said there Is a new shifter since they were having so many problems with the other one. I don’t understand why they just don’t do a recall. Hopefully it doesn’t happen again. 33,000 miles

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got mine fixed at the dealership today. He said there Is a new shifter since they were having so many problems with the other one. I don’t understand why they just don’t do a recall. Hopefully it doesn’t happen again. 33,000 miles
Seems there are a couple of fixes out there.... Wondering if dealership personnel are up on the latest bulletins.

Had this fixed for a 2nd time on our 2017 Acadia just 2 weeks ago. They replaced shifter part no. 13534320 and harness no. 84733196. They didn't use the switch (84955381) that others have mentioned. Maybe and hopefully the new shifter incorporates it.

Curiously, shifter 13534320 is shown as discontinued by several of the online vendors, but it's preceding part number is still available. Confusing...

Hans

·
Registered
105 Posts
Oh no!! We’re you having problems with the doors not locking before your shifter was replaced?
When the message pops up the computer still thinks the fob is left in the car. It won't let you lock it. Had the same issue with my 2019 Denali.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Took mine in last Monday @7:00am. I had it back by 2:00pm the next day, with a new shifter mechanism.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 Acadia that I purchased certified pre owned in May 2018. Shortly after I started having the shift to park issue. The dealership replaced the shift assembly and I had no issues until about 3 weeks ago. It started doing it again once in a while, and now it’s every single time I try to park. And it takes multiple tries to get it to recognize it’s in park. I called the dealership and they told me that since my extended warranty has expired (it ended at 79,000 miles and I’m right at 90,000) and it had been replaced once, there was nothing they could do and I would have to pay out of pocket to have it fixed. That doesn’t seem right, ethical, or legal to me since it’s a known issue with these cars. I plan on calling GM today to see what I can figure out. There’s no way I can trade this car in with this issue unresolved even if I wanted to. I don’t even have the car paid off yet.

·
Super Moderator
21,713 Posts
I have a 2017 Acadia that I purchased certified pre owned in May 2018. Shortly after I started having the shift to park issue. The dealership replaced the shift assembly and I had no issues until about 3 weeks ago. It started doing it again once in a while, and now it’s every single time I try to park. And it takes multiple tries to get it to recognize it’s in park. I called the dealership and they told me that since my extended warranty has expired (it ended at 79,000 miles and I’m right at 90,000) and it had been replaced once, there was nothing they could do and I would have to pay out of pocket to have it fixed. That doesn’t seem right, ethical, or legal to me since it’s a known issue with these cars. I plan on calling GM today to see what I can figure out. There’s no way I can trade this car in with this issue unresolved even if I wanted to. I don’t even have the car paid off yet.
It's a shame you drove the vehicle out of any warranty coverage for it. The cost for resolving the problem isn't too great. See reply #23 in this thread to find what another member recently had to pay: Shift to Park problem.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
If you are bit handy and inclined,,, it can be repaired yourself. There is info here: - - Tested working, 2017 shift to park fix.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Seems right, ethical and legal to me. What seems unethical to me is an owner expecting someone else to pay for their out of warranty repairs......at least in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Not exactly right or ethical if a manufacturing/design defect becomes evident like in the shifter micro switch installation and a company issues a TSB, but won't cover a repair if an owner has no influence on causing the failure. The Shifter Park micro switch failure is due to an over travel stress on the switch which could occur in weeks, months or several years. It still is a design defect.

GM and other car makers have usually offered extended warranty repair on chronic part failure issues.

I worked for GM for +30 years and am embarrassed by this kind of thing and the lack of diligence that results in a customer left holding the bag because of it. This kind of thing seems to have become more common place in the past 10 to 15 years for things as simple as this Shift To Park issue to 2.4Lengine PCV freezing/oil seal blow out, oil consumption (piston rings . .timing chains) to earlier 6 speed transmission wave plate issues and others. TSBs and special coverage helped out in * some * of those cases, but only some and the issues should not have happened at all IMO.

·
Super Moderator
21,713 Posts
Not exactly right or ethical if a manufacturing/design defect becomes evident like in the shifter micro switch installation and a company issues a TSB, but won't cover a repair if an owner has no influence on causing the failure. The Shifter Park micro switch failure is due to an over travel stress on the switch which could occur in weeks, months or several years. It still is a design defect.
Wouldn't be so if it was in the way drivers manipulate the device. Face it, some people unintentionally break their own vehicles by the way they 'press' buttons or 'flick' switches. Designers can't compensate for something like that.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Wouldn't be so if it was in the way drivers manipulate the device. Face it, some people unintentionally break their own vehicles by the way they 'press' buttons or 'flick' switches. Designers can't compensate for something like that.

That is speculation and not the case with the defect in the Acadia shifter. Several members divotdug for instance . . ( are you blaming them) here have had the issue besides the many other newer posters. The same basic design is used in other GM vehicles for trucks and cars.
The fact that this failure is manifest in Malibu, some Camaro model years and Chevrolet Volt with the same over travel/stress conditions on the micro switch is evidence enough. . . not to mention the TSBs.
TSB LINK - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10166630-9999.pdf
TechLink Article - Intermittent Shift to Park Message – TechLink

I can list quite a few posts and threads form other website as well as videos showing the cause of the issue.
Here is one: - 2017 Volt "Shift to park" RCA and permanent fix

But there is plenty referenced in the thread here - - Tested working, 2017 shift to park fix.

EDIT: . . The stress placed on the Shifter Park micro switch is not and can not be attributed to the operator. A spring in the shifter stalk applies the pressure to the switch. We've discussed this before in pertinent threads.

421 - 440 of 469 Posts