GMC Acadia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
My fix to this problem

I have a 2017 Acadia Denali with same issue. My local GMC dealer couldn't correct the problem. I found out if you cycle the headlamp switch or turn it to manual on before or after you turn off the vehicle, the Shift to Park message won't appear or it will clear. It is working for me almost two months now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glad I came across this post. Have had the same issue that everyone else stated with the “shift to park.” It’s about 1 our of 4 times I park that this happens. We just bought our used 2017 GMC Acadia SLT a week ago. Love it minus this error message. I just dropped it off at GMC and am curious what they will say/do. I read the messages about a boot and also a new shifter. I will update you guys when I hear back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 2017 Acadia Denali with same issue. My local GMC dealer couldn't correct the problem. I found out if you cycle the headlamp switch or turn it to manual on before or after you turn off the vehicle, the Shift to Park message won't appear or it will clear. It is working for me almost two months now.
I'll have to try the Light Switch and see if it makes a difference, thanks for the tip

·
Registered
38 Posts
Checking to see if anyone has gotten the Boot replaced on their 2017 Acadia. My dealer has one on order, originally told me they were 4 days out and it has not been 8 business days so doesn't sound like they are so readily available.

Would like to know if this is truly the fix instead of going through numerous options before GM figures out why we are getting this message.

So far the wiggle is still working for me

·
Registered
8 Posts
Checking to see if anyone has gotten the Boot replaced on their 2017 Acadia. My dealer has one on order, originally told me they were 4 days out and it has not been 8 business days so doesn't sound like they are so readily available.

Would like to know if this is truly the fix instead of going through numerous options before GM figures out why we are getting this message.

So far the wiggle is still working for me
Yes I got the “boot” on July 2nd and 2 days later it started doing the shift to Park again. After calling GMC corporate office and complaining, they are currently replacing the whole shift assembly. The dealership has had the vehicle since July 16. I’m told the car will be done later this week. So we will see.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes I got the “boot” on July 2nd and 2 days later it started doing the shift to Park again. After calling GMC corporate office and complaining, they are currently replacing the whole shift assembly. The dealership has had the vehicle since July 16. I’m told the car will be done later this week. So we will see.
Oh that is not good news but that is what I was afraid of, they are just going to try the cheapest fix first until it is determined it is bigger then they expected.

I got a call from my dealer yesterday, the boot is in but the 2 customers that reported the problem before me have not been back to have theirs installed. I was hoping not to the be first this dealer had to change.

Thanks for posting the outcome of yours. I guess once mine is installed I'll be sharing updates

·
Registered
38 Posts
What state is your dealer in?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My dealer has had my car 33 days today... I was told on Friday that a part was being sent this week, but not given any tracking information. I also do not think I am first in line for the part, as I know there was at least one car in for this issue when I left mine. I am not confident that I will have a vehicle this week. I have escalated my issue through GMC, as they don't seem to be coming forth with any real parts or corrective actions and the dealership is just in waiting mode. I am over it. I do wish if you were having this issue you would report it and not just "jiggle" the handle as these cars are too expensive for a problem that GMC created to be overlooked. We shouldn't have to do acrobatics to get it into park. My husband was unaware of such antics and the first time he drove it.... BOOM dead battery due to auxiliary power.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My dealer has had my car 33 days today... I was told on Friday that a part was being sent this week, but not given any tracking information. I also do not think I am first in line for the part, as I know there was at least one car in for this issue when I left mine. I am not confident that I will have a vehicle this week. I have escalated my issue through GMC, as they don't seem to be coming forth with any real parts or corrective actions and the dealership is just in waiting mode. I am over it. I do wish if you were having this issue you would report it and not just "jiggle" the handle as these cars are too expensive for a problem that GMC created to be overlooked. We shouldn't have to do acrobatics to get it into park. My husband was unaware of such antics and the first time he drove it.... BOOM dead battery due to auxiliary power.
Thanks for the update, I saw your post where they have been giving you loaner cars right? I have reported it to GM as well. The best part is I get an email thanking me for reporting the issue and to give them more details. I respond with the requested information plus I call the 800# they provided in case I wanted to speak to a representative. Forget calling that was a joke and a half. No sooner I get a 2nd email stating that since I never responded to the first message they are closing the case. Can I tell you I was spitting nails. I respond to that email and ask if the left hand and right hand knows what is going on LOL I also call and ask to speak to the person handling my case. I'm giving a name and forwarded to the voice mail. I left a voice mail and wait. 2 days pass so I call the 800# again and ask what is the turn around time for a call back. I'm told 2-3 days. That day I got a call - from MY DEALER - not GM.
I know I am not the first person at my dealership either to report the problem but neither of the 2 customers before me have come in for the replacement. Then I get the response from one of the other owners that his/her car got the new boot and 2 days later the problem was back. This is what I'm afraid of and for you to be without your car for 33 days is absolutely absurd.
I'm in New Jersey but my dealer is in Pennsylvania and I don't want to make the trek back and forth while they figure out what the "real" problem is.
Sadly I have a GMC dealer in walking distance and he did a job on my 2010 Acadia so I will never go back there for service.
What state are you in?

·
Super Moderator
18,629 Posts
Folks should search the 'net using "Shift to Park message" as keywords. It's interesting how this has shown as an issue in other makes and models. It's not isolated to Acadia, or even GM. Potential 'fixes' aren't real clear, either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello. Newbie post. 2017 Acadia.

I probably won't be too active here, but I thought it wise to add my name to the list of people having this same issue, as it hopefully might eventually get someone's attention.

2017 Acadia, 24K-ish miles (car not here right now, so this is an estimate). Problem started about a month ago. Happens perhaps 1/3 of the time.

I haven't tried the headlight switch hokey-pokey yet, so far wiggling the shifter and/or shifting in and out of "park" eventually clears it. I hooked up a generic OBD scan tool, no trouble codes.

The heading of this thread is "2017". Is this the only model year affected?

Will likely take it in this week or next, as we now have a 3rd car so we won't be stranded. Local dealer is adamant about not giving loaners.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just a recap and heads up. The dealership put that "boot" on my 2017 Acadia 14k miles on 07/02/18 and the shift to park happened again on 07/04/18. I took it back to the dealer on 07/08/18 and they said they have to wait until the part comes in and they will call me when it comes. Not knowing the part they were talking about was another "boot"...so they called me on 07/14/18 and they said the part came in and bring it in. I told them they already put a "boot" on the car and they said OK well bring it in anyway and we will look at it again and see. I took the car in on 07/16/18, they keep the car until 07/28/18 and they replaced the shift assembly. I picked up the vehicle on 07/28 and as of 7/31 (today) I haven't had the problem happen again so far.

So it seems like these cars may need new shift assemblies instead of that "boot" thing because it didn't work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's too bad they have to replace the whole assembly, as the problem is likely just a switch or sensor that probably could be replaced separately.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just an update I found out if you turn the headlight switch to manual on BEFORE you turn off the vehicle, the Shift to Park will not appear 99.9% of the time. Hope it helps so other Acadia owners won’t have a dead battery since the vehicle will turn off the headlight even you forgot to turn it off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just a recap and heads up. The dealership put that "boot" on my 2017 Acadia 14k miles on 07/02/18 and the shift to park happened again on 07/04/18. I took it back to the dealer on 07/08/18 and they said they have to wait until the part comes in and they will call me when it comes. Not knowing the part they were talking about was another "boot"...so they called me on 07/14/18 and they said the part came in and bring it in. I told them they already put a "boot" on the car and they said OK well bring it in anyway and we will look at it again and see. I took the car in on 07/16/18, they keep the car until 07/28/18 and they replaced the shift assembly. I picked up the vehicle on 07/28 and as of 7/31 (today) I haven't had the problem happen again so far.

So it seems like these cars may need new shift assemblies instead of that "boot" thing because it didn't work.
I called my dealer yesterday and asked if there was any new Bulletins and told him about your experience. I have an appointment Saturday and I told them I don't want to be coming back and forth (NJ-PA) if GM truly does not know the "right" fix. I did share your updated on the Shift Gear Assembly so I'm hoping they have verified that this is the right fix and order those parts for me instead of going through the trouble of installing something that does not work. I am so glad I found this site because it has been "very" helpful and informative.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just an update I found out if you turn the headlight switch to manual on BEFORE you turn off the vehicle, the Shift to Park will not appear 99.9% of the time. Hope it helps so other Acadia owners won’t have a dead battery since the vehicle will turn off the headlight even you forgot to turn it off.
Interesting, I was parked on the street in DC this weekend and of course the Shift to Park came on so now my lights wouldn't go off until I manually turned them off. Unfortunately the auxiliary power stayed on, don't know how long that stays on but at least I didn't have to experience a dead battery on a Sunday in Washington DC.

I have found that when I open the back door before I start the car and I park it I get the "rear message" so I'm wondering if that trumps the shift to park message. There are no issues locking the vehicle so I have also been doing that even when I don't have anything to put in the back seat, along with the wiggle tip.

It looks like we have all found some sort of trick to trump the park debacle.

Good luck to all

21 - 40 of 248 Posts