GMC Acadia Forum banner

361 - 380 of 381 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GMC Acadia SLT FWD V6
242 Posts
No doubt there are some good techs out there, but they are so hard to find. While they are limited to what they can or cant do, it should not take 3 dealer visits to find a problem when it clearly exists. The only time a dealer will find the problem immediately, fix it, and make you very happy is if YOU are paying. But if its warranty, NPF.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Sure I could have obtained a hell of a deal on a 19 when I was shopping but due to these shifter issues in the older models, I ordered a 2020. Thankfully these issues were fixed with the electronic shifter in my model year.
There is no guarantee that down the road there will not be an issue with the push button shifter. Took 18k miles for my shifter to fail.

I don't see trips to the dealer being a big deal. Free coffee and doughnuts as well as a loaner vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
19,835 Posts
No doubt there are some good techs out there, but they are so hard to find. ...
Good customers can be equally hard to find. Many don't have time to wait so a tech can do a proper repair based on the decision tree of modern vehicle diagnosis. Or insurance regulations don't allow the tech to properly duplicate the condition of failure to make sure that part of the tree they addressed was the right fix.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Good customers can be equally hard to find. Many don't have time to wait so a tech can do a proper repair based on the decision tree of modern vehicle diagnosis. Or insurance regulations don't allow the tech to properly duplicate the condition of failure to make sure that part of the tree they addressed was the right fix.
Probably more so than good techs. My son runs into the bad customers on a daily basis. He has way more patience than I do. I doubt I would last a day as a service advisor.

·
Super Moderator
19,835 Posts
Probably more so than good techs. My son runs into the bad customers on a daily basis. He has way more patience than I do. I doubt I would last a day as a service advisor.
Your son and I could probably swap some pretty good tales. My first job after military discharge put me on the service aisle of a Chevy store - with a weeks worth of training at an out of town GM training center. After graduating from WVU and while living in CO, I'd use that experience as 'stop gap' employment with either Cadillac or Chevy when things went awry in the energy industry, or when "Superfund" projects went to litigation. One of my Cadillac customers hired me off the aisle to work in his mine reclamation consulting company because I had worked with them before as one of their consultants.

The Cadillac days were interesting. It was during the transition from EFI to DFI, with C4 carburetion and DoD (8-6-4) thrown in just for laughs. Many of our customers allowed us to drive their cars for extensive periods of time in order to fix 'intermittent' problems, or take them after the repair was done to make sure everyhing was OK. The techs didn't do that much because test drives didn't pay 'under warranty,' but each of the writers helped get the vehicle repaired with sometimes lengthy test drives (over night, into the mountains, trips requiring interstate travel, etc.). Our CSI was consistently higher than the cross-town rival, and many times higher than most other dealers in neighboring states.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Sure I could have obtained a hell of a deal on a 19 when I was shopping but due to these shifter issues in the older models, I ordered a 2020. Thankfully these issues were fixed with the electronic shifter in my model year....
How many of you would love to get rid of the stick and just have buttons, that worked every single time? All of ya right?...
Honestly, I made sure I got a '19 due to 2 things; preferred styling and the shifter. I'm old enough that an actual shifter is better for me (yes, I am aware of and saw the old push button shifters). If it needs repair at some point that's something I'll deal with. No car is repair free.

Reactions: JayTee2019

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
My Acadia console shifter works every single time sine I bought it.

Not sure how many don't. Not worried. Have a 5 year warranty,

Reactions: Jmbjr0930

·
Super Moderator
19,835 Posts
It doesn't seem to matter if the push buttons (switches) are in a shift stalk, or mounted to a console. E-shifting is here to stay (at least for a while). :) It's much the same as GDI engines - everybody's putting them in their vehicles. I got hopes that refinements (to either tech) have been applied to the 2020 model year. Same thing applies to VVT, btw.

·
Super Moderator
19,835 Posts
My dealer sees it enough that they try to keep 9-10 shifter assemblies in stock.
It's possible that those are only 'parts in stock' to satisfy any GM parts inventory requirements.

·
Registered
2017 Acadia Denali
5 Posts
Dropped off the Acadia today. Apparently there is an updated wiring harness that has come out following the revised shifter assembly that was replaced.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Dropped off the Acadia today. Apparently there is an updated wiring harness that has come out following the revised shifter assembly that was replaced.
Had it installed on my '18. Worked about 3 weeks before the shift to park message returned.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a heads up, my 2017 with 52,000 km on the odometer has started a frequent error with message of...

"Action Required"
"Shift to Park"

This happens about every third time I park the Acadia, it is a pain to get cleared, sometimes I need to restart and shutoff the Acadia several times to clear the error. If I do not clear the error, the auxiliary power stays on (radio and USB), the horn rapid honks several times, won't let me autostart, and sometimes won't let me remote lock the doors.

Had it into the dealership twice already, only happened once for them and they can't diagnose. Apparently GM is "Aware of this issue" but "unable to offer a solution" at this time and has advised dealers to "tell customers that they are working on this problem"

I'm a little worried about that response as this is a very annoying issue, and may lead to me trading the Acadia in on a new Traverse.
My 2017 Acadia with 32,000 started to display the "action required" and "shift to park" notifications about every third time parking the vehicle. I took it in to the dealership and they advised me that it was a sensor malfunctioning due to something being spilled on the center console. I spent a great deal of time arguing with them about this not being the case and there had to be something else wrong. Since they had no immediate fix at the time nor a valid explanation I have continued to drive my Acadia now at 58,000 and am still experiencing the error messages every so often!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I spoke with an attorney in Connecticut (I’m in Texas) who has filed a lawsuit with GMC on behalf of a client over this “shift to park” issue. He said that GMC has indicated that they now have a fix for this problem, but do not have enough parts for everyone. Apparently, since shifters are on backorder, this is the newly designed shifter that will fix the problem. Hopefully you got one of the newly designed ones!
We are having the same issue with our 2018 Acadia SLT. 4 times now we have been to the dealer for this known issue. There last incident we were left stranded and our car rolled in reverse even though it was in park. I'm in CT and would love to talk to this attorney. Can you please PM me their contact information. We no longer feel safe in this car, especially with our young children.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sure I could have obtained a hell of a deal on a 19 when I was shopping but due to these shifter issues in the older models, I ordered a 2020. Thankfully these issues were fixed with the electronic shifter in my model year.

How many of you would love to get rid of the stick and just have buttons, that worked every single time? All of ya right? Look below:

Has the problem been fixed with the 2020 models with electronic shifters? Is the problem only with 2017-2019 models?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can you explain further? Is the whole transmission different on the 2020s or just the shifter mechanism? Does that really mean it’s fixed?

Are there any cases of the shift to park issue happening on the 2020s? Is it too early to tell?

·
Registered
2020 GMC Acadia SLT FWD V6
242 Posts
Everything is different. It's now a 9 speed auto, fully electronic, no shift to park issue as you just push the button and it's done. Response time is instant too.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
We are having the same issue with our 2018 Acadia SLT. 4 times now we have been to the dealer for this known issue. There last incident we were left stranded and our car rolled in reverse even though it was in park. I'm in CT and would love to talk to this attorney. Can you please PM me their contact information. We no longer feel safe in this car, especially with our young children.
How were you stranded? My '18 has had the shift to park failure twice. Since a quick snap of the shifter trigger clears the message, it is more an annoyance than a first world issue that needs an attorney.

361 - 380 of 381 Posts