GMC Acadia Forum banner

341 - 360 of 381 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Sometimes if there is a TSB for a well known problem, the dealer and GM will cover at least a partial good will payment for a repair.
Never hurts to have some ammo when asking for a repair.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Question I have is should I bother with the repair since it is intermittent and I will turn it in middle of Sept(ish). I know there is a clause in the "excess wear and tear" of a lease with a comment about warning lights/dashboard messages. I just do not want to pay for a repair for a vehicle I will not keep for long.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Question I have is should I bother with the repair since it is intermittent and I will turn it in middle of Sept(ish). I know there is a clause in the "excess wear and tear" of a lease with a comment about warning lights/dashboard messages. I just do not want to pay for a repair for a vehicle I will not keep for long.
Seems to me it's quite simple. If you do the repair now you're 100% certain to incur some cost, if you wait there is less than 100% chance - only if the problem shows when you turn the vehicle in. If you want to avoid paying the best chance is to wait.

The only unknown is whether the "excess wear and tear" penalty (if it happens on turn in) will be more than the cost of the repair - and even if it is you should still have the option of repairing versus paying the penalty.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
The only unknown is whether the "excess wear and tear" penalty (if it happens on turn in) will be more than the cost of the repair - and even if it is you should still have the option of repairing versus paying the penalty.
You usually don't have that luxury. You turn it in, GM Financial determines the excess wear and tear then sends you a bill.

Of course your dealer may offer a pre-turn in inspection.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You usually don't have that luxury. You turn it in, GM Financial determines the excess wear and tear then sends you a bill.
Just one of many reasons why I don't lease - especially a 39 month lease on a vehicle with a 36 month warranty.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Just one of many reasons why I don't lease - especially a 39 month lease on a vehicle with a 36 month warranty.
I never quite understood the 39 month lease. My '18 is intentionally on a 36 month lease. One of the benefits being the lease does not run out before the warranty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think the benefit of a 39 month lease is to the dealer/manufacturer. The benefit to them is that you would have to pay for any out of warranty repairs (as in may case) for the extra 3 months. If I had it to do all over again I would not have made it for 39 months.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think the benefit of a 39 month lease is to the dealer/manufacturer....
It's the manufacturer. Dealer gets paid for repairs no matter what - it's just a matter of where the money is coming from, the manufacturer or the customer.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I only considered a lease a few times. One was back in 2005 when we could lease a Malibu for zero down and $199/mo for 24 months and 24K miles.
Instead we took the +8,000 cash rebate, drove it for 4.5 years with just regular maintenance and traded it for a loaded 2009 Saturn Aura XR also with a healthy rebate and paid only about @12.5K out of pocket.
We drove that for 7 years and sold it outright for $9K towards our purchase of a 2105 Equinox LTZ.
Depending on rebates, model and time of year we always seemed to do pretty well with purchasing. A lot had to do with keeping the exterior and interior like new and all maintenance record copies. Per year cost usually worked out very well.
After many years there were maybe 2 or 3 times where the cost per year worked out less than we would have liked and better than a lease. $2,500 to $3,000 per year in depreciation is what is acceptable to us . .. or less as it has been in at least half our vehicle ownership experiences.
I can see the value in leasing for a number of reasons. For us most times it was not a factor.

·
Registered
2017 Acadia Denali
5 Posts
I had the shift to park issue at around 21000KM. The dealer replaced the shifter and the issue went away until today - the shift to park notification has reappeared at 42000KM. However, I am noticing that the car does actually "turn off" as the doors automatically lock (and the battery has not depleted). I am now getting the shift to park notification almost every time I turn off the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I had the shift to park issue at around 21000KM. The dealer replaced the shifter and the issue went away until today - the shift to park notification has reappeared at 42000KM. However, I am noticing that the car does actually "turn off" as the doors automatically lock (and the battery has not depleted). I am now getting the shift to park notification almost every time I turn off the vehicle.
Thanks for this info. It sounds like eventually the issue will occur for many of us.

And possibly return again.

·
Registered
2017 Acadia Denali
5 Posts
Thanks for this info. It sounds like eventually the issue will occur for many of us.

And possibly return again.
I don't have faith that there is a permanent fix seeing that it has reappeared. I'm extremely disappointed considering the money spent on the Denali version.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't have faith that there is a permanent fix seeing that it has reappeared. I'm extremely disappointed considering the money spent on the Denali version.
Yeah, mine is back again after the dealer's second fix. I am extremely frustrated.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sure I could have obtained a hell of a deal on a 19 when I was shopping but due to these shifter issues in the older models, I ordered a 2020. Thankfully these issues were fixed with the electronic shifter in my model year.

How many of you would love to get rid of the stick and just have buttons, that worked every single time? All of ya right? Look below:

·
Super Moderator
19,787 Posts
How many of you would love to get rid of the stick and just have buttons, that worked every single time? All of ya right?
It'll work until a kid spills something on it, or forgets to close the vehicle in a rain storm. 🤣

·
Registered
144 Posts
Most of these controllers are weatherproof as I had one when I drove roll-off and it got all kinds of stuff on it, never once failed. My boss used to pour water on his to clean it. They are 100% sealed to outside elements.

·
Super Moderator
19,787 Posts
Most of these controllers are weatherproof as I had one when I drove roll-off and it got all kinds of stuff on it, never once failed. My boss used to pour water on his to clean it. They are 100% sealed to outside elements.
You have no idea how many of these cars with electronics that are "100% sealed" get killed when someone tries driving through high water on flooded roads around here. 😱 😱 😱 (and I'm talking about water that doesn't come much past the lowest part of the wheel)

·
Registered
144 Posts
You got morons there too huh? Man, I thought VA and MD had all of them with the rest being in NJ. lol Lets be honest, NOTHING is 100% proof to water, but some are more resistant than others. If your driving through lake minatoka, the last thing you should be worried about is a shifter. Things like motor come to mind first, inhaling water and stuff.

Just thought it would be a nice alternative instead of numerous and extensive trips to the dealer who is usually dumber than people who drive through flooded roads. :)

·
Super Moderator
19,787 Posts
Go easy on the dealer (techs). They're usually stuck between customer misuse and engineers who have their heads up their patoots when designing things. Then, there's the assembly line when it's close to union mandated break or contract negotiations! 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

341 - 360 of 381 Posts