GMC Acadia Forum banner

321 - 340 of 381 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
This issue is the main reason I ordered a 20 model as it got the electronic shifter. I really feel for all of you going through this, as it seems there really is no fix in sight.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
This issue is the main reason I ordered a 20 model as it got the electronic shifter. I really feel for all of you going through this, as it seems there really is no fix in sight.
I believe there is a fix. It's pretty obvious the small micro switch in the shifter gets damaged contacts and then fails. Replacing with a more robust micro switch that can handle the circuit inrush current would likely help or resolve the issue. But GM, so far, has only chosen to provide an "inline" adapter to apparently reduce current and/or replace the entire shifter which contains the fialed micro switch.

·
Super Moderator
19,787 Posts
The 2nd Gen Acadia (2017+) has always been equipped with an electronic gear selector - just now (2020) has it evolved to wholly push button.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I bought a new Acadia in April 2019. It will not acknowledge it is in park and turn off. Seems to me they should have fixed this.
There is a factory fix. A wiring harness adapter and/or replacing the whole shifter mechanism.
I do wish they would just source and install a more robust "Park" micro switch.
Which is the real problem since the switch contacts do not seem to be robust enough to handle the duty cycle or current load.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The dealer "cleaned the switch" for free since I am well out of warranty and I haven't had the issue again. They advised me to just wait until GM has an official fix and then they would try to get me taken care of with that instead of chasing down goodwill on a fix that is just going to be a stopgap.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We have been dealing with the Shift to Park issue on our 2017 Acadia Denali for well over a year. It seems to come and go at random and was never addressed by the dealer. The one "trick" that seems to work more often than not is waiting for about 10 seconds after shifting to park before turning the car off. It does not work all the time though. We are at the end of our lease so I do not want to pay to have it fixed since we are in month 38 of 39 and a couple of months out of warranty.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
We have been dealing with the Shift to Park issue on our 2017 Acadia Denali for well over a year. It seems to come and go at random and was never addressed by the dealer. The one "trick" that seems to work more often than not is waiting for about 10 seconds after shifting to park before turning the car off. It does not work all the time though. We are at the end of our lease so I do not want to pay to have it fixed since we are in month 38 of 39 and a couple of months out of warranty.
Has happened to my '18 twice. Put it in park and and a quick snap of the shifter trigger clears the message every time. A youtube video has been posted on this site multiple times.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The quick "snap" of the shift trigger used to work for us, but now that trick never works for us. Waiting to turn off the car after parking is the only thing that seems to work to get it to not come up more often than not.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
The quick "snap" of the shift trigger used to work for us, but now that trick never works for us. Waiting to turn off the car after parking is the only thing that seems to work to get it to not come up more often than not.
Sounds like the micro switch has totally failed. Why haven't you had the shifter replaced?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds like the micro switch has totally failed. Why haven't you had the shifter replaced?
I am on a 39 month lease and on month 38 so the warranty is up and I do not want to pay for it to get fixed just to turn it in soon...

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I am on a 39 month lease and on month 38 so the warranty is up and I do not want to pay for it to get fixed just to turn it in soon...
Have you read your end of lease guide? Mine specifically states that any warning lights or messages are considered excess wear and tear and I will be dinged for it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It happens so sporadically I am going to let it go and see what happens when I turn it in. This is not an every day or every drive occurrence.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
There is a TSB 19-NA-206 out on the shifter issue on 2017 to 2019 Acadia and other vehicles that have had this same problem with the same shifter. The dealer should be able to repair the issue at no charge.

See attached TSB.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I will call them tomorrow to see about it. Last time I called they said it would be $300-600 to repair.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I will call them tomorrow to see about it. Last time I called they said it would be $300-600 to repair.
Download and/or make a copy of this TSB on your phone to show them.
OR try another dealer. I find it hard to believe they do not know of this TSB .

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have it printed out - since the TSB references warranty coverage and I am not under warranty anymore, I am not sure what they will do to cover this or offer any good will or not.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
A TSB is not like a recall and performed for free. Simply a tool for techs in resolving customer issues. Customer is responsible for payment if out of warranty.

In the case of this TSB, it doesn't work. Had it done to my '18 and only resolved the issue for 3 weeks. Dealer had to replace the shifter assembly.

321 - 340 of 381 Posts