GMC Acadia Forum banner

281 - 293 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Update #2.

Had the shift to park issue in November. Shop applied the September TSB. Apparently the TSB was only good for about a month.

Started getting shift to park messages again last week. Flicking the trigger still cleared the message so no big deal.

Had it in the shop this morning. Adviser said they had performed the TSB on multiple vehicles and mine was the first one to come back with the same issue.

Today they replaced the shifter mechanism.

Once again was give a new SLT as a loaner.

·
Banned
614 Posts
Interesting to know. I haven't had the issue yet, but I imagine it will be just a matter of time.

The issue really seems to be the lack of durability of the micro switch used to signal the Park position.
Can't understand why GM just doesn't find and install a more robust switch. They do make them in the size that can handle 5 to 10 amps. And if the one they use failing. .. then I have to wonder how much current that switch is supposed to handle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone successfully had the “shift to park” issue fixed?
My 2017 has been to the shop 3 times, harness replaced, transmission control replaced and still happening. Today went to drive car and it wont start. Shift to park displayed, battery saver mode on, accessory mode on and wont turn off. Cant even lock the doors, so good thing it was in my garage.

At this time, I deem the car unreliable do to the fact that it is many times inoperable at under 30k miles. Cant wait til I am stranded somewhere with my 3 small children.

This is my 2nd “top of the line” GMC model and definitely my last.

If anyone believes to have a solution, please share.

·
Super Moderator
19,057 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Your question concerning 'shift to park' message has been moved to this thread. You'll find answers about it here. If there's a separate problem, that issue should be stated in its own thread.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
My 2017 has been to the shop 3 times, harness replaced, transmission control replaced and still happening. Today went to drive car and it wont start. Shift to park displayed, battery saver mode on, accessory mode on and wont turn off. Cant even lock the doors, so good thing it was in my garage.

At this time, I deem the car unreliable do to the fact that it is many times inoperable at under 30k miles. Cant wait til I am stranded somewhere with my 3 small children.

This is my 2nd “top of the line” GMC model and definitely my last.

I have an '18. Had shift to park issue in November. First time to dealer they replaced the harness based on the latest TSB. That lasted for about a month and problem recurred. Next visit they replaced the shifter. So far, so good.

See post 256 on what to do when you get the error. A quick snap of the shifter trigger clears the message. It's really no big deal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2018 Acadia SLT and about a year after owning it, January 2019, 23k miles, we had the shift to park message pop up. Took into the dealer and had the gear shift replaced and it fixed the issue, so we thought. Fast forward to another year later, today February 2, 2020 with 46k miles, shift to park message has come back on while the car shows it is in park but if you let go of the brake, the car rolls forward. Not sure what to do because our car is out of warranty now due to mileage and GM hasn’t come up with a proper solution to THEIR problem. I have two small children, 6 and 4 and I just hope nothing serious happens from this because they believe there’s nothing wrong.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
We have a 2018 Acadia SLT and about a year after owning it, January 2019, 23k miles, we had the shift to park message pop up. Took into the dealer and had the gear shift replaced and it fixed the issue, so we thought. Fast forward to another year later, today February 2, 2020 with 46k miles, shift to park message has come back on while the car shows it is in park but if you let go of the brake, the car rolls forward. Not sure what to do because our car is out of warranty now due to mileage and GM hasn’t come up with a proper solution to THEIR problem. I have two small children, 6 and 4 and I just hope nothing serious happens from this because they believe there’s nothing wrong.
The current solution seems to be to replace the shifter assembly. If mine fails again outside of warranty, I will do what I did last time. Have the dealer repair it, knowing the repair will now be my responsibility.

In your case it seems you have a different problem. If the car is rolling, sounds like it really isn't engaging in park and the error is correct.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I spoke with an attorney in Connecticut (I’m in Texas) who has filed a lawsuit with GMC on behalf of a client over this “shift to park” issue. He said that GMC has indicated that they now have a fix for this problem, but do not have enough parts for everyone. Apparently, since shifters are on backorder, this is the newly designed shifter that will fix the problem. Hopefully you got one of the newly designed ones!
So question, do we all need to reach out to this attorney? Mine is in the shop right now with the same problem and GM has issued a service bulletin but will not cover the cost for the fix. Maybe if we all can reach out to this attorney we can get something done about it?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
So question, do we all need to reach out to this attorney? Mine is in the shop right now with the same problem and GM has issued a service bulletin but will not cover the cost for the fix. Maybe if we all can reach out to this attorney we can get something done about it?
Mine has been repaired under warranty. I have no need or desire to contact an attorney. The only winner in these silly class action suits are the attorneys.

·
Super Moderator
19,057 Posts
... Mine is in the shop right now with the same problem and GM has issued a service bulletin but will not cover the cost for the fix. Maybe if we all can reach out to this attorney we can get something done about it?
Welcome to the forum.
GM doesn't owe anyone anything if the warranty has long expired.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to this, my mom's gmc acadia kept dinging and saying "action required, shift to park" well we did many times. We took it to our local car dealership and they said it was a wiring harness to the transmission. They ordered the part and fixed it. Until the other day it started doing it again. Yesterday she was leaving for work and it wouldn't even start. The parking brake was stuck on somehow. This morning I went outside and the brake lights were on and no one was inside the vehicle. We just had it towed to the dealership. Does anyone know what could be wrong with it?????

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
My '18 had this issue back in November. Dealer did the wiring harness mod, per the latest technical service bulletin. That lasted for about a month, dealer next replaced the shifter assembly, which so far has corrected the issue.

If she leaves the car while it is dinging, eventually she will kill the battery which may wreak all sorts of havoc.

This you tube video shows a quick 2 second work around.
shift to park work around

·
Registered
2 Posts
We had the same problem with our 2018 Arcadia SLT-1 at 35,000 miles. Very annoying. Took it to the dealer who diagnosed the problem and replaced the shifter mechanism. No further problems.

281 - 293 of 293 Posts