GMC Acadia Forum banner

261 - 280 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't see anyone defending GM and there is no evidence this a problem impacting Acadia's across the board. There is no logical reason to stop selling them.

What I see is folks suffering a little inconvenience thinking that merits a lawsuit. To me that is BS, life happens.
Received the vehicle back today. Have had a loaner vehicle the entire time. A 5 seater instead of 6, but we made it work. They replaced the shifter harness, which is on their new bulletin board, but it failed a few days later. Finally replaced the shifter assembly. Fixed the issue. I don’t think being out of your vehicle for nearly 2 months is a small issue, and neither did GM, so thankfully the loaner vehicle is a big thing. GM did call me (corp, not dealership) quite frequently to check up on us and give us updates.

Im just glad to have it back.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Received the vehicle back today. Have had a loaner vehicle the entire time. A 5 seater instead of 6, but we made it work. They replaced the shifter harness, which is on their new bulletin board, but it failed a few days later. Finally replaced the shifter assembly. Fixed the issue. I don’t think being out of your vehicle for nearly 2 months is a small issue, and neither did GM, so thankfully the loaner vehicle is a big thing. GM did call me (corp, not dealership) quite frequently to check up on us and give us updates.

Im just glad to have it back.
It was your choice to be out of your vehicle for 2 months.

Mine developed the issue a couple of weeks ago. The simple work around I posted made the vehicle usable until I was able to get it into the shop. Have yet to hear from anyone that had an issue with the work aorund.

It is not a first world problem. Certainly not worthy of a class action suit.

·
Registered
322 Posts
At least GM is acknowledging the issue. We can’t get VW to acknowledge a problem with my wife’s new Beetle’s headlight beam issue. There’s a noticeable blind spot on the left side and a double notch on the right. It makes driving it at night dangerous. VW says this is normal and is by design.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It was your choice to be out of your vehicle for 2 months.

Mine developed the issue a couple of weeks ago. The simple work around I posted made the vehicle usable until I was able to get it into the shop. Have yet to hear from anyone that had an issue with the work aorund.

It is not a first world problem. Certainly not worthy of a class action suit.
I didn’t join the lawsuit, but what makes an issue worthy? I’d say not knowing the temp fix and traveling and being stranded due to gas/battery/theft is close. The lawsuit would be due to not doing a recall on the part. Most issues you can at least turn the car off and lock it up. Even if there are plenty of acadias without this problem, a simple recall on the shifter would save people a lot of hassle- especially people who just dropped $35k+ on a brand new vehicle. But you know what they say about opinions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone had this problem pop-up and then go away?

I recently began getting the shift to park error message 7-10 days ago. Initially it wasn't a major problem. The message would pop-up, I'd press the shifter forward once and the message would go away. As the week went along it seemed to get worse, to the point where I was worried it would be stuck in error. Towards the end of last week I made a service appointment for today. The vehicle is still under warranty.

Anyways, of course after I make the service appointment the problem doesn't occur Saturday, Sunday and so far nothing today. The closest dealership for me is an hour away so I called and asked if there was anything that they could do if they can't replicate the problem. I got the "correct, if we can't replicate it we can't file the warranty claim to fix it."

This wasn't the type of issue that I would expect to just go away. For now I moved the appointment to next week, but nervous since I'll be traveling a decent amount for the holiday later this week.

·
Super Moderator
18,999 Posts
This wasn't the type of issue that I would expect to just go away. For now I moved the appointment to next week, but nervous since I'll be traveling a decent amount for the holiday later this week.
Welcome to the forum.
Seems this is an intermittent problem for many - meaning it comes and goes without a particular pattern. Hopefully, your dealer is aware of the TSB to resolve this problem and will take care of it at your next visit to their service center.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts

I recently began getting the shift to park error message 7-10 days ago. Initially it wasn't a major problem. The message would pop-up, I'd press the shifter forward once and the message would go away. As the week went along it seemed to get worse, to the point where I was worried it would be stuck in error. Towards the end of last week I made a service appointment for today. The vehicle is still under warranty.

Anyways, of course after I make the service appointment the problem doesn't occur Saturday, Sunday and so far nothing today. The closest dealership for me is an hour away so I called and asked if there was anything that they could do if they can't replicate the problem. I got the "correct, if we can't replicate it we can't file the warranty claim to fix it."

I had the issue for a week. The day I drove into the service bay it did not fail. My service advisor was keenly aware of the issue and they applied the latest TSB under warranty, which also included a very nice loaner vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Yea ours happened very infrequently, and then as the days went on it happened more and more. Being able to fix it by shifting in and out or shaking it worked, until it didn’t. Hopefully the harness works for you! It’s the newest on the TBS. Failed in ours after a few days.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The truth IS - - - obviously GM used a "Park Position" micro switch that is not robust enough to withstand repeated long term operation.
And, evidently, the switch contacts can not handle the "inrush" of current flow as indicated in the TSB fix. Which is a resistor or R/C network (jumper) to diminish the current.
Also, the TSB instruction to "Operate the shift park button 50 times" to "clean" the contacts is laughable and not likely to provide long term operation.
As an electronic system technician for +30 years the real fix should be to install a switch with better specs and larger contact area to handle the load presented to it. Which is what I may do myself should the issue occur.
The less I have to take my Acadia in to have someone do low paid warranty work on my vehicle the better.
I used to be fine with taking my GM vehicles in to the service departments. However, the past few years of poor economics have largely taken it toll and the veteran techs left in droves or retired to do yead work like my neighbor. The quality of dealer and other service entities has sadly dwindled for a large part.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
However, the past few years of poor economics have largely taken it toll and the veteran techs left in droves or retired to do yead work like my neighbor. The quality of dealer and other service entities has sadly dwindled for a large part.
I do not believe economics has anything to do with techs retiring. I know techs making a 100+k a year. The money is there for veteran techs.

What is not there is new body parts. Being a tech for 25-30 years does take it's toll on the body.

The underlying problem is a lack of new techs coming up through the ranks. Seems fewer and fewer want to pursue a career as an auto tech.

Part of the problem is high schools no longer offering auto shop, body shop, etc. Everyone is now programmed to believe life requires a college degree. Not that there is anything wrong with a degree. My wife and I made sure our son earned a degree.

When I grew up in the late 60's, pretty much every guy in my neighborhood knew how to turn a wrench. Something I instilled in my son as he grew up. Not so with most of his friends. Most had a hard time just changing a tire.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I do not believe economics has anything to do with techs retiring. I know techs making a 100+k a year. The money is there for veteran techs.

What is not there is new body parts. Being a tech for 25-30 years does take it's toll on the body.

The underlying problem is a lack of new techs coming up through the ranks. Seems fewer and fewer want to pursue a career as an auto tech.

Part of the problem is high schools no longer offering auto shop, body shop, etc. Everyone is now programmed to believe life requires a college degree. Not that there is anything wrong with a degree. My wife and I made sure our son earned a degree.

When I grew up in the late 60's, pretty much every guy in my neighborhood knew how to turn a wrench. Something I instilled in my son as he grew up. Not so with most of his friends. Most had a hard time just changing a tire.

Agree to some degree, I did not mean that economics are making techs retire. But economics, the conditions, the work load that was heaped onto veteran remaining techs, the change in the way and amounts they are now paid and what dealers will pay new techs has had a detrimental effect.

It is possible that fewer and fewer want to pursue that kind of career because of the working conditions and low pay relative to what was paid in comparable wages years ago like in the 1960s. I grew up in the 1960s as well, and several friends and also my younger brother could work at a filling station with attached repair bays and do car repairs in between filling customer gas tanks. From those jobs they could move up to a dealer or independent repair shop or even another mechanical related field like my brother did. These days, it requires a 1 or 2 year certificate that may or may not mean a prospective tech is capable or skilled.

It is similar in the realm of machining jobs, welding and some other industrial work related fields. Some high schools, like where my wife works, do offer curriculum in learning welding and some other types of skilled trades. However, most businesses in our 100 miles radius mid west area will only pay $14 to $18 and hour, if that, and most often only for rotating 12 hours shift work. Not exactly what we had in the 60s for real wages or a steady 40 hour 1st, 2nd or 3rd shift job. So, yes, select college educated positions offer a better chance of a good income, working conditions and decent pay scale.
All of us in my neighborhood did most of our our own routine maintenance and the usual, shocks, brakes, etc. Trips to the scrap yards were regular for the +10 year old vehicles we could only afford.

I agree, most young ones today do not take much interest in learning how to do much for car repairs. More interested in video games, computers or just using things like cars, motor sport vehicles and other things. They would rather rent than buy something and have to take care of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a heads up, my 2017 with 52,000 km on the odometer has started a frequent error with message of...

"Action Required"
"Shift to Park"

This happens about every third time I park the Acadia, it is a pain to get cleared, sometimes I need to restart and shutoff the Acadia several times to clear the error. If I do not clear the error, the auxiliary power stays on (radio and USB), the horn rapid honks several times, won't let me autostart, and sometimes won't let me remote lock the doors.

Had it into the dealership twice already, only happened once for them and they can't diagnose. Apparently GM is "Aware of this issue" but "unable to offer a solution" at this time and has advised dealers to "tell customers that they are working on this problem"

I'm a little worried about that response as this is a very annoying issue, and may lead to me trading the Acadia in on a new Traverse.
We were having the same issue on our 2018 SLT1. I took it to my local dealer and they ended us changing the shift lever. We did have to wait for two weeks for them to get the parts. It did however take care of the problem.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
We were having the same issue on our 2018 SLT1. I took it to my local dealer and they ended us changing the shift lever. We did have to wait for two weeks for them to get the parts. It did however take care of the problem.
Since October, GM is no longer replacing shift levers as the repair. Mine was at the dealer last month for this issue. In and out in 2 hours.

The new TSB is described in a previous post, as well as a quick work around.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 Acadia Denali has been in the shop three times for the “shift to park” issue. June of 2018 they replaced the shifter. In September of this year it was back in for the issue and they ordered a new harness which took three weeks to come in due to back order and GM strike. I‘ve had it back for hardly a month now and the “shift to park” message kept coming back on.

So now it’s in the shop for the 3rd time and the dealer is saying it needs another new harness. They had no answer for me when I asked why the harness they just replaced last month was failing already. The service advisor acted surprised it failed already stating that was the official fix for the “shift to park” issue. Obviously the new harness is not the fix to this problem.

I can’t help but wonder how many more times I’ll be in for service with this issue before the end of the lease. I absolutely love my Acadia and was planning to buy it at the end of the lease but will not do that now as I don’t believe General Motors knows how to fix this issue. It’s completely unacceptable to not have a fix for this issue by now given the volume of Acadia owners who have experienced this issue, some multiple times such as myself.

I’ve never bought anything besides GM cars and SUV’s and most likely will be buying another brand when my lease is up. The Acadia Denali is a really nice looking car. It drives and handles great as a daily driver and on longer highway trips. Truly disappointed to turn it back in.

I’ve also filed with the NHTSA. Good luck to everyone else dealing with this issue!

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I’ve also filed with the NHTSA. Good luck to everyone else dealing with this issue!
Not sure the NHTSA will much care. No one has died from this and not really a safety issue. When the issue pops up, a quick 2 second snap of the shifter trigger clears the error.

My '18 had the additional harness installed a month ago. So far I've had no additional issues.

You can always consider leasing a 2020 which now has a push button shifter.

·
Super Moderator
18,999 Posts
I think it requires some minimum number of fatalities.........
Could also be perceived risk of injury. Chrysler had a recent shifter recall because the transmission stayed in reverse even though the shifter indicated it was in park. I don't know if anyone was ever fatally injured by that. I do know about the shifter problem because 2 of my employer's Chrysler 300 livery cars suffered from it. (Boss made me pay for a crushed EZPass license plate transponder when my assigned limo backed into a bus. ;) )

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure the NHTSA will much care. No one has died from this and not really a safety issue. When the issue pops up, a quick 2 second snap of the shifter trigger clears the error.

My '18 had the additional harness installed a month ago. So far I've had no additional issues.

You can always consider leasing a 2020 which now has a push button shifter.
I would think twice before purchasing/leasing another GMC. My 2017 Arcadia Denali is my first and last GMC. The "Shift to Park" issue that the local Huntsville dealer claims has no fix and the pealing wheel rims that are not covered by warranty is enough to drive me back to Hyundai or Ford.

261 - 280 of 280 Posts