GMC Acadia Forum banner

241 - 260 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
They have my vehicle and said the estimated wait time right now is a month+. It’s frustrating that they know of this issue and are still selling affected vehicles. Good news is the newest bulletin on the issue states that replacing the shifter assembly is out- and only replacing a wiring harness (part 84733196) is in. Having a family car and 4 kids makes this even more stressing during soccer season. The dealer was a little perplexed too, bc they couldn’t shut off the vehicle either. They were shaking the shifter for almost an hour haha welcome to my world.

They offered a loaner for 3 days. And possibly longer based on these circumstances.
Just replaced wiring harness 4 days ago and today back to shift to park message.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Just replaced wiring harness 4 days ago and today back to shift to park message.
On another forum, (Coloradofans) a similar issue causes the key to not be able to be turned off and removed. One owner has lifted up the shift stick boot and found the "Park" switch that is operated by a "bar" when the shift lever is moved to "Park". He has now cleaned the switch with a contact cleaner and is waiting to see if the problem returns.
It is his belief that it may be the switch contacts build up oxidation and then does not relay the signal to the BCM to indicate the driver has moved the shift lever to "Park".
If that is the case, then the problem is not the wiring harness or connections, but the switch getting oxidized, worn, or contaminated with something causing a lack of good contact.
Which may explain why some owners have been able to sometimes resolve the issue for awhile by "jiggling" the shift lever or moving in and out of Park a few times.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I am new to this forum too and I have nothing but problems with my 2018 Acadia with only 10,323 miles on it, its been in the shop more than I drove it you can tell by the mileage I recently had a lawsuit against them which I got $10,000 and now it's back in the shop again I cant sell it because I owe too much but I will never ever again purchase another gmc vehicle even if it was given to me
Give us more details ... you bought this vehicle new (?), and how much did you pay for it (?), and then you sued who (?) and you were awarded $10,000 (?) based on what kind of case (?)

·
Super Moderator
19,001 Posts
Let's stay with the "Shift To Park" topic in any more discussions posted to this thread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2017 Acadia with 12,500 miles, under warranty. Began to have the shift-to-park issue. Local dealer had it five days (leaving me without a vehicle) and “couldn’t duplicate issue.” Picked car up and problem began recurring on third park. Returned car and raised hell, so I got a courtesy car. Car was in for three weeks, released with new wiring and rejumped harness. Problem began recurring after third park. Vehicle has been in for two weeks, with “shifter assembly on back order.” Not happy, but have a courtesy car again. Have to stop to pay cash tolls now because my EZPass can’t be removed from my car. Also often have to reroute and increase driving time to avoid EZPass-only stretches.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
2017 Acadia with 12,500 miles, under warranty. Began to have the shift-to-park issue. Local dealer had it five days (leaving me without a vehicle) and “couldn’t duplicate issue.” Picked car up and problem began recurring on third park. Returned car and raised hell, so I got a courtesy car. Car was in for three weeks, released with new wiring and rejumped harness. Problem began recurring after third park. Vehicle has been in for two weeks, with “shifter assembly on back order.” Not happy, but have a courtesy car again. Have to stop to pay cash tolls now because my EZPass can’t be removed from my car. Also often have to reroute and increase driving time to avoid EZPass-only stretches.
Just stop by the dealer and pickup your EZPass.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Unfortunately, toll pass is adhered to windshield and supposedly disabled if removal attempted. Also, pass is tied to license plate #.
Where the heck do you live? I have a Maryland EZPass. It is held on to the windshield via Velcro tape. Easily removed and I use it between 3 vehicles. Been doing it for years and never have had an issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Houston, TX. Removing card breaks the embedded chip. In any case, not transferable between vehicles, unlike a toll pass I once had in IL, which worked on all IL toll roads. You sell your car here, you gotta remove/break the card or have it deactivated to avoid charges to your credit card, and get a new pass for new car. Supposedly, I can log on and add a rental/courtesy car license plate to my account, but haven’t been able to. Been trying to call during business hours, but give up after 45 minutes on hold. Of course, you then have to remember to remove the plate # after returning car or you’ll continue to be charged for tolls. And does not work on all Houston-area toll roads. PITA.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Our TollTag in DFW is similar. It adheres to the windshield and deactivates once you remove it. We used to have the hard plastic cards that velcroed on and could move vehicle to vehicle but they ditched them. Topic for another discussion but I wish it would work everywhere in the US. Our TollTags only work in Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas. We took a trip up to Massachusetts over the summer and couldn’t use ours on the MassPike as it’s not compatible with the EZPass system. The toll by plate rate was still way cheaper than the discount I pay to use it around DFW though.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I agree that all the systems should be compatible. I can go many places up and down the east coast with my EZPass, until I get to Georgia. There they want you to have a Peach Pass.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just a heads up, my 2017 with 52,000 km on the odometer has started a frequent error with message of...

"Action Required"
"Shift to Park"

This happens about every third time I park the Acadia, it is a pain to get cleared, sometimes I need to restart and shutoff the Acadia several times to clear the error. If I do not clear the error, the auxiliary power stays on (radio and USB), the horn rapid honks several times, won't let me autostart, and sometimes won't let me remote lock the doors.

Had it into the dealership twice already, only happened once for them and they can't diagnose. Apparently GM is "Aware of this issue" but "unable to offer a solution" at this time and has advised dealers to "tell customers that they are working on this problem"

I'm a little worried about that response as this is a very annoying issue, and may lead to me trading the Acadia in on a new Traverse.
My dealer replaced some sort of sensor to repair the problem. I do not know where the sensors were located. The dealer told me that so many Acadias were having the problem that the parts were on back-order.

·
Registered
322 Posts
My dealer replaced some sort of sensor to repair the problem. I do not know where the sensors were located. The dealer told me that so many Acadias were having the problem that the parts were on back-order.
Part of that could be the GM strike too. Glad to hear that you got it resolved. It’s these things happening that convinced me to purchase an extended warranty.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
My '18 started having the 'shift to park' issue yesterday.

This video shows a 15 second work around. I tried four times today and it worked each time. Not saying it will work for everyone but certainly worth a try.

shift to park workaround

·
Registered
414 Posts
My '18 started having the 'shift to park' issue yesterday.

This video shows a 15 second work around. I tried four times today and it worked each time. Not saying it will work for everyone but certainly worth a try.

shift to park workaround
Possible Shift To Park - - - Repair.

Wondering if the following video might guide those with this issue to repair themselves. This is on the same year Malibu with the same problem. It seems a lever operated micro switch may go bad or stressed out of adjustment. In the video below, the guy just flexes the switch lever so that it operates the switch button completely depressing it.
I also read another account about the traverse (IIRC) where an owner sprayed contact cleaner into the switch.
For anyone handy, and the vehicle is out of warranty, this may be worth finding a switch and replacing it.
Here is just ONE possible switch - - Lever Micro Switch
Here are two Youtube videos that may help - - -
[/youtbe]

[/youtube]

·
Registered
414 Posts
This is the latest from GM-techlink

gm tech link shift to park
Thanks for posting it. I saw it and meant to. and got caught up in looking for Youtube videos regarding this issue on other GM vehicles as well.
After reading the TB, I'm not too confident that snapping the shifter actuation rod "50 times" is a reliable and permanent fix. However, it does verify that GM is acknowledging that the problem is the switch contacts as stated in the Youtubes that I posted earlier.
It's also interesting that GM is providing an " in-line shifter wiring harness jumper " to reduce current inrush. Wondering how much current inrush is occurring? It seems they may be adding a resistor in the jumper to reduce the amount of current the switch contacts see.
I'm thinking GM is trying this as a way to keep from having to replace the whole shift mechanism which contains the micro switch. I guess we will see if there are any more TBs.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Update on my truck. Had it in the shop yesterday to take care of the shift to park issue. Was in the shop for about two hours.

Was repaired using the new Bulletin #19-NA-206 outlined in the link on post #258. They are no longer replacing the entire shifter assembly.

241 - 260 of 280 Posts