GMC Acadia Forum banner

221 - 240 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
It’s a GMEPP warranty. I purchased it from Smith Chevrolet in Indiana as I had read they had the best deal on it. There’s a website they have where you can request a quote by providing some information about your vehicle including VIN and they will send you an email back with quotes for various warranty lengths.
Thank you. We currently have a 2 year factory warranty bumper to bumper extension right from GM. So it covers just like the 3 year 36,000 warranty. But I plan on keeping the Acadia longer so may go with another when the factory warranty is up.
We only put maybe 8K to 10K miles a year on the Acadia.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thank you. We currently have a 2 year factory warranty bumper to bumper extension right from GM. So it covers just like the 3 year 36,000 warranty. But I plan on keeping the Acadia longer so may go with another when the factory warranty is up.
We only put maybe 8K to 10K miles a year on the Acadia.
I totally recommend going through Smith for the warranty. The cost was cheaper than what the F&I guy told us when we bought the Acadia, and getting it now just extends out for another 5 years and the mileage will take us to 84k miles since we have 24k right now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good Afternoon all,

I didn't see a board for the Shift To Park error message problem/issue, so here's my issue.

I got the message, ultimately got too bad took to dealer and I keep getting told the part has been ordered, it's no national backorder and there is a strike. We have NO idea when it will be in. It will probably be over a month. Dealer says, you can still drive it. Well, yeah, but I now routinely(n) take over 10 minutes of trying different things to get the message to go off so the car doesnt' beep and kill a new battery.

So, I didn't buy a brand new $50K car to have it sitting. Anyone else having the forever timeline to get this fixed? Just prior to this error, I had the battery suddenly go bad. Took to dealer, they charged it and said it was just severely discharged. However, when I went to pick it up, guess what...wouldn't start. Bad Battery. Just over a year old. (I was told there was a bad cell before I took it to them because I had it checked and yes, I told them that)

So frustrated and disappointed. :mad:

(mod edit: moved post to relevant discussion)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 GMC Acadia (All Terrain Package) started showing the Shift to Park message a few weeks ago. We have less than 25,000 miles on it. It was intermittent at first, every few days. Now it is almost daily or sometimes multiple times per day. Took it to the dealership and as soon as we indicated the problem (it occurred in the parking lot), they acknowledged familiarity with it, but said the parts are not available due to the GMC strike. :( So we tried using the suggestions of wiggling the shifter and pressing the brakes on and off a few times. This has been working really well for now at least while we wait for this strike to end. It seems to be a better solution than starting and stopping the engine.

·
Super Moderator
19,001 Posts
... This has been working really well for now at least while we wait for this strike to end. It seems to be a better solution than starting and stopping the engine.
Welcome to the forum.
Glad to know the temporary workaround is making things better. Hopefully, the strike will be over soon and everyone can get their vehicles repaired more expeditiously.

·
Registered
414 Posts
My 2017 GMC Acadia (All Terrain Package) started showing the Shift to Park message a few weeks ago. We have less than 25,000 miles on it. It was intermittent at first, every few days. Now it is almost daily or sometimes multiple times per day. Took it to the dealership and as soon as we indicated the problem (it occurred in the parking lot), they acknowledged familiarity with it, but said the parts are not available due to the GMC strike. :( So we tried using the suggestions of wiggling the shifter and pressing the brakes on and off a few times. This has been working really well for now at least while we wait for this strike to end. It seems to be a better solution than starting and stopping the engine.
Some have indicated it's a switch either in the push button handle or elsewhere in the shift linkage. I've searched a bit and am trying to find out. There are similar issues with Buick Encore and Chevy Sonic automatic shift linkage and some have repaired them. I think there was a youtube on this for the Encore, although not the same exact shifter or symptom, but may be related.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did any of you experience "battery saver" as a result? I started with the "shift to park" messages, and then my power steering shut down and ultimately my battery shut down. Was able to get the car started again with a jump, but it would not start up again after being shut off. The car is not even a year old, with less than 11k miles. Very frustrating!
I had my battery suddenly go dead, charged by the dealer, dead upon my picking it up. Replaced the battery (I think it had a bad cell). About a week or two later, it started with the Shift To Park message. Sitting at the dealer for about 3 weeks now waiting.

Did your part come in yet?

·
Registered
7 Posts
New here. Have a 2018 GMC Acadia with 35,900 miles on it (Thank God) and getting the shift to park issue. Tried everything for 45 yesterday and couldn’t get it to turn off. Out of options at this point. Took it to GM and they said it’s a bad F Harness (Part 84733196). Everyone else on here seems to be getting a new shift assembly. Are they slighting me? Putting a bandaid on a bigger problem? I’m a single vehicle household and I’m on hold with GM warranties trying to get a loaner vehicle rn. Not very optimistic. Wife has a big trip this weekend and I’m beyond frustrated. Did someone say lawsuit?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
New here. Have a 2018 GMC Acadia with 35,900 miles on it (Thank God) and getting the shift to park issue. Tried everything for 45 yesterday and couldn’t get it to turn off. Out of options at this point. Took it to GM and they said it’s a bad F Harness (Part 84733196). Everyone else on here seems to be getting a new shift assembly. Are they slighting me? Putting a bandaid on a bigger problem? I’m a single vehicle household and I’m on hold with GM warranties trying to get a loaner vehicle rn. Not very optimistic. Wife has a big trip this weekend and I’m beyond frustrated. Did someone say lawsuit?
Little soon to be talking lawsuit. How are you damaged?

Your vehicle is going to be repaired under warranty. Loaner vehicles are never guaranteed.

If my wife had a big trip planned and the repair was incomplete I would rent her a vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Little soon to be talking lawsuit. How are you damaged?

Your vehicle is going to be repaired under warranty. Loaner vehicles are never guaranteed.

If my wife had a big trip planned and the repair was incomplete I would rent her a vehicle.
They have my vehicle and said the estimated wait time right now is a month+. It’s frustrating that they know of this issue and are still selling affected vehicles. Good news is the newest bulletin on the issue states that replacing the shifter assembly is out- and only replacing a wiring harness (part 84733196) is in. Having a family car and 4 kids makes this even more stressing during soccer season. The dealer was a little perplexed too, bc they couldn’t shut off the vehicle either. They were shaking the shifter for almost an hour haha welcome to my world.

They offered a loaner for 3 days. And possibly longer based on these circumstances.

·
Super Moderator
19,001 Posts
... It’s frustrating that they know of this issue and are still selling affected vehicles. ...
Many like-equipped vehicles are on the road which don't display this problem. All they know is how to resolve the issue if it shows up on someone's vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It’s an $8 part I ordered from GM wholesale direct, trying to avoid a month+ without our family car. They sent me an email saying it doesn’t match then VIN. But that I should receive it in 14 days or so. Any other places y’all know of?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m a GM guy through and through (2018 Acadia, 2012 Silverado, 2006 Cobalt) but I’m not giving them a free pass on this one. This isn’t a small problem. Come to their defense all you want, but I do understand why there is a lawsuit open about this.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I don't see anyone defending GM and there is no evidence this a problem impacting Acadia's across the board. There is no logical reason to stop selling them.

What I see is folks suffering a little inconvenience thinking that merits a lawsuit. To me that is BS, life happens.

I've been there, done that. Back in 1984 my Dodge Turbo Daytona blew the turbo inside of 20k miles. Was in the shop for 3 weeks waiting on a part. Not a big deal to me. Rented a car for 3 weeks and moved on with my life.

Life is too short too short to treat every inconvenience as the end of the world and worthy of a lawsuit.

All these lawsuits do is make attorneys wealthy and get you special coverage on the impacted part and a cents off coupon towards your next purchase.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a heads up, my 2017 with 52,000 km on the odometer has started a frequent error with message of...

"Action Required"
"Shift to Park"

This happens about every third time I park the Acadia, it is a pain to get cleared, sometimes I need to restart and shutoff the Acadia several times to clear the error. If I do not clear the error, the auxiliary power stays on (radio and USB), the horn rapid honks several times, won't let me autostart, and sometimes won't let me remote lock the doors.

Had it into the dealership twice already, only happened once for them and they can't diagnose. Apparently GM is "Aware of this issue" but "unable to offer a solution" at this time and has advised dealers to "tell customers that they are working on this problem"

I'm a little worried about that response as this is a very annoying issue, and may lead to me trading the Acadia in on a new Traverse.
I had the same problem and brought my 2017 Acadia SLT-1 with 22000 miles back to the dealer this past Thursday. I was given a loaner and told to be prepared to have it for a while. They said the problem was with the shift but parts were on back order and company on strike. Got a call the next day (Friday) and was told my vehicle was fixed and ready for pick up.
I was told that GMC had just determined the problem was with the wiring harness which was replaced. Have had it for two days and everything seems OK. Will post of I have additional problems.

·
Super Moderator
19,001 Posts
I was told that GMC had just determined the problem was with the wiring harness which was replaced. Have had it for two days and everything seems OK. Will post of I have additional problems.
Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for that information.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I know this is part of a recall campaign but it’s issues like this as to why I purchased the extended warranty just before our B2B expired. I strongly recommend y’all look into that on these 2nd gen Acadias.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I know this is part of a recall campaign but it’s issues like this as to why I purchased the extended warranty just before our B2B expired. I strongly recommend y’all look into that on these 2nd gen Acadias.
Please cite the recall campaign. I can find no evidence of a recall campaign on the shifter mechanism.

·
Super Moderator
19,001 Posts
Please cite the recall campaign. I can find no evidence of a recall campaign on the shifter mechanism.
I sure wish folks would read about the differences in TSBs, campaigns, recalls, and SCAs. Those explanations can be found in older forum threads.

221 - 240 of 280 Posts