GMC Acadia Forum banner

181 - 200 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had that same problem with annoying regularity on my leased 2017 Acadia Denali, especially parking on even slightly uneven terrain. I loved the vehicle in every other way so I bought a 2019 (almost identical) model. So far, so good. I also REALLY like the option on the '19 to switch from adaptive to "classic" cruise control.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2017 Acadia - Shift to park 14k miles and now 39k miles

Had shift to park problem at 14k miles after 1 year of leasing. GM Service had my car for 2 months then finally replaced (under warranty) with part # 84159722. It took them 2 months to get the part in, so they gave me a loaner vehicle after alot of complaining from my end.

No issues until now, at 39K miles, just after my warranty expired, I am getting the shift to park issue again. I have since relocated from Nevada to Ohio, so I cannot take the car back to the Nevada dealer I leased the car from or had the 14k warranty service performed.

The new service bulletin that was just released in Dec 2018 says that the new shifter part number is 13528228. I have called both the Nevada dealer and the Ohio dealer (where I am located now) to see what my options are. Since I had another defective shifter installed during warranty at 14k, I would like to have the new and corrected shifter installed since I am still having the problem.

I filed a complaint with NHTSA as all of you should be doing. Keep you all posted. I plan on purchasing the car when my 45k miles are up but this is all obviously contingent if they can fix this issue for me and be reasonable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Our 2017 got part number "84528982 Control Assy". They listed the cause as "loss of signal from shifter switch to BCM", which is what we are all assuming to be the core issue.

Hans.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting - I wonder on the Service Bulletin 18-NA-297 why it lists the part #13528228 under "parts information" for the Acadia?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, I have that Bulletin. Just a guess as to why I got a different part is that they redesigned it yet again since that bulletin came out. New one has a timer on it set to fail right at the end of warranty. Sorry, couldn't resist.....

Hans.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No worries it is a good joke!

The control assy that was installed for me was 84159722 at 14k miles. Now at 39k miles its bad.

Will keep you posted, just waiting on some phone calls back

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 Acadia SLE started experiencing the awesome Shift to Park issue at 27,500 miles. Took it into Woodhouse GMC in Omaha Nebraska and I printed the service bulletin but they were very familiar with this issue already. The advisor joked that he was really surprised this isn’t a recall yet. Anyway, the part is on back order. He had no idea when they would get the part. He said the new part is a new part number from the bad part and that fixes the issue. I asked for a loaner vehicle and they were very reluctant. He basically told me to just live with it and giggle the shifter button. I demanded a loaner. He said he would speak with the service manager and call me and he never did. When I picked up my Acadia later that day, he said they would have a loaner SUV in a couple days. He hasn’t called me back yet and I’m on day 3. How do I get a hold of someone at GMC corporate? They need to have more parts available.

·
Super Moderator
18,300 Posts
... How do I get a hold of someone at GMC corporate? They need to have more parts available.
Welcome to the forum.
Look up GMC Customer Care contact info on their website. You will find email addresses and phone numbers there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
GM finally has a fix for this!! You will need your dealer to order a new shift control module. GM is getting them as quickly as they can, and sending them out to dealers who order them. I had mine fixed today, and so far it is doing great!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well maybe they replaced the module when they fixed it two weeks ago. The work-order said replaced shiftier assembly. If not it'll probably go out again, maybe they'll have a recall.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the shifter replaced before. This time, they didn’t replace the actual shifter, just a shifter module underneath the vehicle. I hope you had the module replaced!

·
Super Moderator
18,300 Posts
I had the shifter replaced before. This time, they didn’t replace the actual shifter, just a shifter module underneath the vehicle. I hope you had the module replaced!
Is it possible for you to find a part number for that module from the RO and post it here? I'm sure others in the forum would be interested to know what it is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We’ll make a phone call to the our Stanton, Texas dealer’s Service Center on Monday, and get that part number. We tried this morning, and they weren’t answering. I somehow left without a receipt! But they are awesome and I’m sure they will have the info for us, so I can share.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We’ll make a phone call to the our Stanton, Texas dealer’s Service Center on Monday, and get that part number. We tried this morning, and they weren’t answering. I somehow left without a receipt! But they are awesome and I’m sure they will have the info for us, so I can share.
Here’s what I have on my receipt from my dealer: Removed and replaced shift control assembly Part # 84528982

·
Registered
1 Posts
We bought a 2018 Acadia on June 7,2019 with 26,xxx miles and now almost two months later are getting the error “shift to park” when the car is already in park. This is my first and last gmc product. I am not happy about this. I have an appointment at the dealer next week. I had a 2008 Chevy Equinox for 10 years and had no problems. Not sure how long I’ll keep this vehicle after reading this forum.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
We bought a 2018 Acadia on June 7,2019 with 26,xxx miles and now almost two months later are getting the error “shift to park” when the car is already in park. This is my first and last gmc product. I am not happy about this. I have an appointment at the dealer next week. I had a 2008 Chevy Equinox for 10 years and had no problems. Not sure how long I’ll keep this vehicle after reading this forum.
You of course realize the same corporate entity produced both your Acadia and your Equinox?

There have been very few issues reported with the '18 Acadia. What have you read that would cause you think of getting rid of your vehicle after two months of ownership?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I would betcha that this problem is very simply fixed by replacing the button (switch) on the shift knob (instead of replacing the entire shifter assembly). From what people have said in this thread, the shifter and cluster always show "P", so that "status" must be getting read from another point. But I'm thinking the ECM doesn't 'snapshot' (or verify) the shifter status until you release the button on the knob - but the switch is failing (after 20,000, 30,000 miles of being pushed IN and OUT), so it doesn't trigger at the ECM pin all the time.

Then the ECM sees the engine being turned OFF and says, "Hey - I never got my shifter trigger signal to verify we're in PARK, so I'm putting up this cluster message to tell you to put it in PARK!"

Some here on this thread have even said that just pushing the knob button IN and OUT makes the message go away. So yo do that, and eventually ... BANG - the input to the ECM turns ON, and the "status" is captured, removing the "Shift-To-Park" message on the cluster.

It'd be interesting to see if this ECM input could just be manually tripped to make the message go away...

As for people out of warranty - NO WAY should anyone be paying a penny out of pocket to fix this! This is a known defect that should be fixed free-of-charge ONCE for the life of the vehicle.

But - it's gotta be fixed properly .. and if it is the button alone that is the actual problem, they're "fixing" it improperly (unless the new button is more rugged).

So we shall see ...

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
As for people out of warranty - NO WAY should anyone be paying a penny out of pocket to fix this! This is a known defect that should be fixed free-of-charge ONCE for the life of the vehicle.
I disagree. No proof the part is defective, just subject to failure for some folks. Could well be some sort of user error related to possibly regularly slamming the shifter into park or not fully depressing the shifter trigger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, folks the first thing everyone needs to do is file a complain with the National Highway Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA).

If you do your research you will see hundreds if not thousands of GMC Acadia owners complaining about this issue. The issue as you can see just in this forum alone goes back to 2014 if not farther. The vehicle will be in park but you still get the error message which than causes a number of system failures that compromise the safety of the vehicle. It literally will give you loss of power steering, loss of ABS, loss of AWD, loss of vehicle stability and power surges while you are driving. These issues started immediately after the error message appeared.

I am taken back by the lack of intervention by the government and the irresponsible or lack of action in part of GMC. You are literally jeopardizing peoples lives. This should have been a recall years ago and the problem should have never been present in newer models.

181 - 200 of 217 Posts
About this Discussion
216 Replies
64 Participants
divotdug
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing