GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Just a heads up, my 2017 with 52,000 km on the odometer has started a frequent error with message of...

"Action Required"
"Shift to Park"

This happens about every third time I park the Acadia, it is a pain to get cleared, sometimes I need to restart and shutoff the Acadia several times to clear the error. If I do not clear the error, the auxiliary power stays on (radio and USB), the horn rapid honks several times, won't let me autostart, and sometimes won't let me remote lock the doors.

Had it into the dealership twice already, only happened once for them and they can't diagnose. Apparently GM is "Aware of this issue" but "unable to offer a solution" at this time and has advised dealers to "tell customers that they are working on this problem"

I'm a little worried about that response as this is a very annoying issue, and may lead to me trading the Acadia in on a new Traverse.

·
Registered
594 Posts
mine has done the same thing several times. A forward bump to the gear shift lever has taken care of it.
I thought it acted like a switch slightly out of adjustment.

·
Super Moderator
18,629 Posts
... I'm a little worried about that response as this is a very annoying issue, and may lead to me trading the Acadia in on a new Traverse.
Does the new Traverse also have the electronic shifter? This is beginning to sound like the problem Chrysler had with their shifters. It wasn't much fun to shift into Park, only to find out the car was in Reverse. :surprise:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2017 Acadia SLT-1 with 16K miles and it is doing the exact same thing sporadically over the past 2 weeks and now it does it every day. Same symptoms as you describe and very frustrating. I took it to the dealer today and received the same message regarding GM engineering is working on it.

The "shift to park" message appears as soon as you attempt to power off the vehicle (see attached photo). Instead of bumping the handle I have been testing holding my foot on the brake pedal and wiggling the shifter handle then release both every few seconds. Then the message goes away 5-10 seconds later. So far that has been reliable 4 times in the past 2 days.

I have not had consistent success restarting the vehicle and moving it again.

Anyone have speculation on this issue?

I suspect a switch in the shift know is not getting the signal or is faulty. Perhaps even a physically wearing our of the shift knob.

My biggest concern is being able to power off the vehicle and lock the doors.

Also to ensure that it truly is in park and doesn't roll away.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm having the same problem. 2017 with 36k miles. If I press the up or down on the shifter and has been helping. Any one reached out to GMC recently?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm having the same issue on my 2017 Acadia with 14K miles. I took it to the dealership on 07/02/18 and they replaced the gear shift knob thinking it was that and 2 days later it started doing it again. I took the car back to the dealership on 07/07/18 and was told that a "special bulletin" just came out on 07/03/18 from GMC about this issue and there is a "boot" that now goes on the vehicle and that supposedly fixes the issue. They ordered the "boot" and they will call me this week to come and get it installed. We will see if that works!

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have been having this same problem on our 2017 Acadia with only 12,000 miles on it Since March. I have taken it in 4 times for this issue first time they tightened a cable on drive shaft was good for about 3 days the started again second time they said they it wasnt doing it for them so they had to give me my car back...Third time last week because it's getting worse and worse and I cant take it anymore they gave me the B.S. from GM that cause is unknown. Then now today they had me bring it back and claiming GM is now saying to replace the shifter...Well apparently the shifter is on "national backorder" so apparently I'm just supposed to deal with it until the part comes in who knows how long that will take probably months. They keep assuring me it's not a safety issue, but it's super irritating when your car wont turn off and you look like an idiot turning it on and off and moving it back and forth trying to get the shift to park to go away!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Shift to Park Message

This message started today out of the blue. I have 34700 miles and immediately called the dealer because when I checked the manual for the Exclamation Point ! code it said it was the Braking System. I have a long trip coming up and got very concerned. My dealer told me it is the leather boot around the shift gear that is getting caught up inside. He told me to put in drive and moved the boot around. When I told him there was no change he said we will have to order a new boot. Luckily I had an oil change scheduled for this Saturday prior to my long trip.

Reading some of these comments has gotten me very concerned.

This is my 3rd Acadia and other then 1 issue with my 2010 I have been very fortunate.

I truly hope GM rectifies this issues soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shift to Park Message

I got my Acadia in January. Around the 27k mile mark I started receiving the Shift to Park message about once a week. I took it in for service and they couldn't replicate the issue. They adjusted the shift cables which worked for a few days. Then it was back to the shop again for another round of adjustments. Finally on the third visit the salesman that sold me the Acadia took it for a week and drove it himself and finally got the message to pop up. It's funny how everything always works right for the people trying to fix it. The dealership said they were ordering parts, but I fear now that I'm in for a long wait. It's become almost unbearable to drive now and if I'm running an errand or something I'll just leave the car running to avoid the frustration of turning it off. My coworkers joke about it now because I've come close to being late for work because I'm still outside trying the get the POS to turn off! Extremely disappointed in the quality of the new generation Acadia!

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 2017 Acadia SLT-1 with 16K miles and it is doing the exact same thing sporadically over the past 2 weeks and now it does it every day. Same symptoms as you describe and very frustrating. I took it to the dealer today and received the same message regarding GM engineering is working on it.

The "shift to park" message appears as soon as you attempt to power off the vehicle (see attached photo). Instead of bumping the handle I have been testing holding my foot on the brake pedal and wiggling the shifter handle then release both every few seconds. Then the message goes away 5-10 seconds later. So far that has been reliable 4 times in the past 2 days.

I have not had consistent success restarting the vehicle and moving it again.

Anyone have speculation on this issue?

I suspect a switch in the shift know is not getting the signal or is faulty. Perhaps even a physically wearing our of the shift knob.

My biggest concern is being able to power off the vehicle and lock the doors.

Also to ensure that it truly is in park and doesn't roll away.

Thank you Dr_Maddog, I tried the Wiggle of the shift Gear while foot is on the brake and it worked for me. I noticed every once in a while it doesn't work and I figured my timing is not perfect with the wiggle and release of the gear and brake simultaneously LOL But the fact it works most of the time I am happy. My dealer ordered a new boot but I'm sure this is all electrical, the gear not registering to the computer it is in fact in park. Now to convince GM to concentrate on the computer sensors.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This message started today out of the blue. I have 34700 miles and immediately called the dealer because when I checked the manual for the Exclamation Point ! code it said it was the Braking System. I have a long trip coming up and got very concerned. My dealer told me it is the leather boot around the shift gear that is getting caught up inside. He told me to put in drive and moved the boot around. When I told him there was no change he said we will have to order a new boot. Luckily I had an oil change scheduled for this Saturday prior to my long trip.

Reading some of these comments has gotten me very concerned.

This is my 3rd Acadia and other then 1 issue with my 2010 I have been very fortunate.

I truly hope GM rectifies this issues soon.
For those of you 2017 Acadia owners reading this blog take note of Dr_Maddog's post, his suggestion of the wiggle of the gear shift while foot on the brake has worked for me (not all the time but most). I had put in a complaint with GM when my started and now I am going to follow up with a suggestion that this issue is electrical not the Boot as GM is instructing it's dealers.

I am also curious where the cars experiencing this problem were built, the label on my driver's side door says it was built in Tennessee. It will be interesting if all of our cars came off the same assembly line.

My dealer said I am the 3rd customer to experience this problem, another thought of how many of us are actually having this problem. I'm sure it will be only after a specific amount of complaints before GM declares this a recall issue. Of course they have to figured out the problem first.

·
Super Moderator
18,629 Posts
I am also curious where the cars experiencing this problem were built, the label on my driver's side door says it was built in Tennessee. It will be interesting if all of our cars came off the same assembly line.
The new generation Acadia is built solely at GM's assembly plant in Spring Hill, Tennessee. It's the same plant which produces Cadillac's XT5 (a car similar to Acadia in many respects).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Video of the shift to park message

I am glad to hear that my advice helped others with the issue. Hopefully GMC engineering comes out with a fix soon to send out to dealers.

I just posted a video on YouTube (search "acadia shift to park") that shows the issue and the workaround of pressing the brake pedal, wiggling the shift knob + pressing the shift knob button (I can't post a link until I get more posts :smile_big:)

youtube.com/watch?v=ijFqlPwTosc

The issue shows right away then goes away at 1:20. With practice I can now make the issue go away in 10-20 seconds. I still think this issue is somehow electrical or mechanical.

I called GMC support to open a case thinking I could get some more information but they are only able to work with Service Department at the dealership who then get their information from GMC engineering. I realize that this issue is not catastrophic but is very annoying especially when you are trying to go to the store or drop someone off and then you have to wait 10-20 seconds. It would also be troublesome if attempting to trade in or sell the vehicle.:sad:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same issue with my Acadia... I knew it was happening but I am the only driver typically, so I just knew to watch for it. My husband drove it once and didn't catch the error which resulted in a dead battery. However, in June it started occurring 8/10 times rather than 2/10 so I called and made an appointment. I took my car in on 6/28 and was informed that the part was on "backorder and it would be a while". I asked if I could drive it until the part came and he said no, and issued me a loaner. 7/16 and I am on my 2nd loaner with no promise as of yet as to when GMC might have these repair parts. Granted I am driving a brand new Yukon Denali as a loaner which is awesome, I have some small end of summer trips and need my vehicle as the loaner is not supposed to go out of state.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I tried to reply earlier but I think that post is pending review...

Anyways, I posted a video on youtube search "acadia shift to park" that outlines the problem.

Glad my advice helped others workaround the issue until we have a fix from GMC engineering.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Shift to Park

My Acadia has around 24,000 miles... but I cant remember since I have not seen it since 6/28/18. This error became increasingly more frequent from 2/10 times to 8/10 and I called for a service appt. I was greeted by "this part is on backorder and we don't have any idea on how long this may take". I asked if I could keep my car and come back in when the part was available and he said no, it would eventually stop locking, etc. It is going on 3 weeks and I still have no ship date on this mysterious repair part. I am driving a dealership loaner and while it is VERY nice (2018 Yukon Denali). it is not mine and we have a few weekend trips planned to end up the summer. I am going to TX on Friday and am not supposed to take the loaner out of state (We're in Arkansas), but can't walk there! Hopefully they DO know what it is and are working on the necessary parts to repair. I suspect it should be recalled, but if everyone got a recall notice and flooded the dealerships that can't get the part... it would add to the chaos. Surely, when the get the parts lined up they will voluntarily recall? To whom can we report this need for a recall to facilitate GMC acting on it?

·
Registered
38 Posts
The new generation Acadia is built solely at GM's assembly plant in Spring Hill, Tennessee. It's the same plant which produces Cadillac's XT5 (a car similar to Acadia in many respects).

thanks for the update, so then it is fact that all of us Acadia owners having this Shift to Park problem came off the same line, maybe not at the same time but wouldn't that be interesting if in fact all of these vehicles were made on the same day.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Same issue with my Acadia... I knew it was happening but I am the only driver typically, so I just knew to watch for it. My husband drove it once and didn't catch the error which resulted in a dead battery. However, in June it started occurring 8/10 times rather than 2/10 so I called and made an appointment. I took my car in on 6/28 and was informed that the part was on "backorder and it would be a while". I asked if I could drive it until the part came and he said no, and issued me a loaner. 7/16 and I am on my 2nd loaner with no promise as of yet as to when GMC might have these repair parts. Granted I am driving a brand new Yukon Denali as a loaner which is awesome, I have some small end of summer trips and need my vehicle as the loaner is not supposed to go out of state.
So your dealer told you to drive your Acadia whereas mine told me there would be no detrimental damage. I was specific in asking if it is effecting my transmission or braking system and he assured me that it wasn't. Now I am worried I do a lot of long trips on Weekends and have to worry about breaking down miles from home.

Thanks for posting your issue.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I tried to reply earlier but I think that post is pending review...

Anyways, I posted a video on youtube search "acadia shift to park" that outlines the problem.

Glad my advice helped others workaround the issue until we have a fix from GMC engineering.
I'll watch for the video and yes I am grateful I read your blog, we might have to get you on the "review" team at GM to get to the bottom of this issue.

1 - 20 of 248 Posts