GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, back in January I was itching to drive a few new vehicles and had my chance in a back to back spin of a fairly well optioned Acadia SLE FWD followed by a loaded Yukon SLT 4wd. We have an '04 Suburban now, and had an Avalanche before it, so I'm used to and enjoy the GM truck feel, but at my drive, I COULDN'T stop thinking of the Acadia and had a hard time recalling anything memorable from the Yukon. Point taken.

That said, my mother still has the '04 Suburban and we put it to good use lugging people, dogs, and lots of stuff all around. But, as before, 3 years into this one now, she is at least moaning and groaning about the gas mileage and, I think, however much she actually likes driving it, just how big it is for one person alone to commute in 5 or 6 days a week.

I'm ALWAYS on the "want a new car mode" and have pretty much made the last 3 family vehicles happen from start to finish, so of course I had to at least be interested this time around too. She had gotten an Acadia brochure in the mail a few months ago, and I also had some other pictures and videos I showed once or twice when visiting. Didn't get much of a reaction, and at the time there was clearly more of a draw to a new Tahoe/Yukon then anything else, not to mention the fact of just how useful the Suburban is and it's still being paid for.

So, to my complete and utter surprise after I hadn't really said anything for a couple of months, I was visiting this weekend and we went out for a walk with the dogs. Noticed there was a brand new Envoy in one of the neighbor's driveways, and from that, I got the question "What kind of gas mileage do those new Acadias get?" I said high teens and mid 20's on the highway, and also made a point to say that "and they're a lot larger than something like that (pointing to the Envoy), it's just kind of deceptive". "Oh, really?" From this, going on to say that she still likes the Suburban but knows how ludicrous the gas is, and also "I wish I could pay less a month".

Apparently still hasn't even seen one yet, aside from an Outlook running around that I don't think she's really noticed yet, but did still seem to think they were smaller than they were and was "iffy" on the looks, at least compared to something like trucky Tahoe which she still really likes. But, there's now clear and sudden interest in them, and today again at church the Outlook was right in our path and she looked at it a bit more thoroughly than before.

SO, not really a "meaty" post, but an interesting change of ideas in this household at least. Not really sure if it'll lead to any further "car talk" that's serious, but it seems like this kind of Suburban-Tahoe-Yukon --> Acadia/Outlook swap, or even idea, is getting stronger and stronger.

·
Registered
524 Posts
So what will happen? Will Jack and Jill find happiness? Will they go up a hill and fetch a pail of water, will Jack fall down and break his crown? Will Jill come tumbling after? Will all the kings horses and all the kings men put Humpty back together again? Are the sheep in the meadow, and cows in the corn?

I know I can't wait to find the answers to these questions, and even more. Will Mrs Whatshername get an ACADIA?.............................Stay tuned! 8)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha, good question. Right now I don't see much of anything happening, just because as nice as a Lambda is, still can't match the overall room of the Suburban, nor totally negate the fact that it's 3/5 of the way paid for.

That said, something new is always fun, and the Acadia specifically is great--probably like it the most as far as styling--just have issues with the optioning. As others have pointed out, a lot of us like the "cloth" model SLE, but really wish it didn't have to be so limited as far as a few key items. Like, for instance, on every Yukon, base SLE or loaded SLT, you still get the DIC, steering wheel audio controls, and front dual zone HVAC regardless. This sounds like trivial stuff, but really, owning a "cloth" Suburban that's more loaded than a lot usually were, the DIC, audio controls, and dual HVAC are sort of requirements anymore. If anything, I always thought just another "Technology Package" or the like, for the SLE would be great, including the DIC, wheel controls, dual zone, AND power liftgate would be sublime. You can get the Saturn and Buick like this, but of course, the Saturn pricing of a lower model is ultimately a bit higher and without the dicker factor and the Buick just gives a who different persona, but very nice.

So, still, right now, it's just in the thinking stage. I really don't know how long it will be until, if not already, we really could step down a bit in Suburban size and just as comfortably live with a Lambda ute, and there's also the difficulty in getting just the "right" one.

I've been around here for a while now, but also still curious, who went from a GM full size ute to their Acadia/Outlook? Talking with a few dealers and elsewhere, it seems like an increasingly common swap, especially even if just over gas prices--admittedly, however small or large a REAL difference there really is with extended normal driving.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I traded in a 02 Sierra Denali for my Acadia. So far gas has gone up 33 cent a gallon in the one month since I brought it home. Yes the MPG was a very important factor for me.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dan-M said:
I traded in a 02 Sierra Denali for my Acadia. So far gas has gone up 33 cent a gallon in the one month since I brought it home. Yes the MPG was a very important factor for me.
Yep, that's the biggie, of course. Actually, last summer when gas kept going up and up, we actually seriously considered (test drives, crunching numbers, etc.) making the huge change and going to a car, but in the end, realized it just wasn't worth it to give up THAT much space and comfort for the money.

Again, not like gas prices won't go back down, and it's dumb to start over again with another vehicle just because of that, but it did at least bring up a conversation I didn't expect. If we really could see fitting into something like a Lambda, the price was right, AND the gas mileage difference in reality was enough of a change to notice, it could be a real possibility.

These still aren't Prius's, and still clearly get mpg's in the teens in a lot of the daily grind, but they're still strong in that and many other ways.

If you could equip an Acadia SLE with those few other key features, or just more like an SLT but without the heated/memory leather, it'd be a more attractive sale. As is, that doesn't bother me too much, but once we had those few little things on the Suburban, they're now pretty much a requirement, as I said.

And now that brings me up to 50 posts, hmm...

·
Registered
12 Posts
we got a slightly loaded SLE by chance in our area. We like the options of the SLT-1 one except the leather seats. By chance we found an SLE sitting quietly by the corner of the lot with almost all the options of the SLT-1 we're looking at less the leather seats, audio steering control and DIC. since the engine and transmission is the same. and priced $3k less. We jumped on it.

so far so good...

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, if done, one equipped just like that would be the closest fit--it'd just be hard giving up the DIC and steering wheel controls, plus missing out on the power liftgate only SLT's have. It's too bad it isn't more like the Saturn or Buick in that regard--cloth AND all the extras.

But we lived without it before in our Avalanche, and for the $29-31k pricetag in general, you just get a TON of vehicle for your money with an Acadia SLE regardless. Like I said before, I drove a $31k Acadia followed by a $51k Yukon, and it was the Acadia I kept remembering, so that speaks volumes.

I think we could fit into one, it's just--seriously--"once you go Suburban, it's hard going back" to anything else. But before long, there was going to be a downsize to either a smaller ute or a car, and a Lambda would be the perfect combination fit.

·
Registered
524 Posts
So get the $44,000 Acadia and save $7,000 over the price of the Yukon. There, problem solved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts