GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced your Acadia shaking when at highway speeds ? I was going 70mph today and the vehilce just started to shake and the noise was like a large helicopter inside with me. The noise came on suddenly and did not stop until I was almost completely stopped. I have only had the Acadia less than a week and this is the first problem already ! Anyone else have this problem ? Any ideas ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
I have not experience this. I would get it to the dealer ASAP. Is it repeatable?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
812 Posts
were your windows down when it happened? if it is, it just strong crosswinds.... :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, it is like 0 degrees here. I did not have the windows down. When traveling north on the road, I did not experience this, however, when coming back, south, I started that noise out of the blue and my kids heard it really loud back where they were sitting. I am going to try to repeat that noise today..will let you know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
You don't state if your Acadia is AWD. If so, there have been reports of the rear drive shaft bolts coming loose. This may be the source of your noise. Just a possibility.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
OAKLEY1997 said:
Has anyone experienced your Acadia shaking when at highway speeds ? I was going 70mph today and the vehilce just started to shake and the noise was like a large helicopter inside with me. The noise came on suddenly and did not stop until I was almost completely stopped. I have only had the Acadia less than a week and this is the first problem already ! Anyone else have this problem ? Any ideas ?
Have you been going donuts with the car ?

If so, the alignment of the wheels may have been changed a bit.

You might want a garage that checks wheel alignments to check it for you, or even better the GMC Dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I have noticed mine shaking when I have snow caked under the vehicle and in the wheel wells. I drove through about a foot of snow for about 2 blocks and I had a lot of snow under the Acadia after. It was so cold out that even in my garage it was well below freezing , so the snow didn't have a chance to melt. The next day driving my steering column was shaking so bad I thought I was going to loose a Wheel. It warmed up in the afternoon and as I was going to go to the dealer the shaking stopped and all the snow was gone. It hasn't happened since. has anyone else noticed this?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,875 Posts
OAKLEY1997 said:
No, it is like 0 degrees here. I did not have the windows down. When traveling north on the road, I did not experience this, however, when coming back, south, I started that noise out of the blue and my kids heard it really loud back where they were sitting. I am going to try to repeat that noise today..will let you know.
Any more on this!!!????
DId you check all the lugs on your wheels to make sure they are tight?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
It's interesting that it keeps vibrating until you stop the vehicle. I get snow caked inside the wheels after a heavy snow. If I don't take the time to push my finger through the holes in the wheel to knock of the snow it will one or more wheels will vibrate at higher speeds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
mioutlook said:
It's interesting that it keeps vibrating until you stop the vehicle. I get snow caked inside the wheels after a heavy snow. If I don't take the time to push my finger through the holes in the wheel to knock of the snow it will one or more wheels will vibrate at higher speeds.
Every vehicle I've ever owned would shake with snow in the wheels...they are simply out of balance. No great mystery there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
We have had this recurring problem with our '07 Acadia (19" rims)...winter or summer. Rims don't flush snow or dirt, it builds up from driving on backroads or snow covered roads and the car shakes like crazy. We have to wash them out to resolve the problem. Very frustrated. A lot of people we know who also have Acadias have had the same problem. GM hasn't offered a solution yet. :angryfire:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Droid said:
We have had this recurring problem with our '07 Acadia (19" rims)...winter or summer. Rims don't flush snow or dirt, it builds up from driving on backroads or snow covered roads and the car shakes like crazy. We have to wash them out to resolve the problem. Very frustrated. A lot of people we know who also have Acadias have had the same problem. GM hasn't offered a solution yet. :angryfire:
I live in the Chicago burbs and I have yet to experience a problem with snow building up in my tires or with my Acadia shaking like mad... and we've had PLENTY of snow this season. Of course, maybe this problem is particular to the 19" rims because I don't have those either.

big bear craig said:
There is a loud buffeting noise when the windows are down.
Is that what you call it? We call it SONIC BOOM. LOL It drives the kids crazy. I lock the windows, then roll down one window in the back and yell "SONIC BOOM!" ;D I'm evil like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
I had a bad tire that was replaced under warranty and after that I had a bad shake on the passenger side at highway speeds. I had to get it rebalanced 2x to get the shaking resolved. They admitted that the first time they were using the machine incorrectly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Snow or driving through drifts, mud both made my Acadia shake many times, and also my Dakota, Sable, Sierra, and any other vehicle I have owned, though none so often and consistently as the Acadia. A trip to the underground parkade or a trip to the wand wash carwash inevitably solved the problem. If not then I would suspect a more serious issue. Rare but it can happen I guess. Think back over your route and see if you didnt go through deeper snow or mud and it may be your clue.
Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Mine has been doing a similar thing since I have got it.About four or five times in 2000 miles.Mine also is a little unstable when it does it.A little hard to control. It is a little scarry when it does it.Mine is a 2008 slt-1.The dealer has not been able to repeat the problem.I can understand why as it only does it about every 300 miles or so.Mine feels like it hits a very strong cross wind. When I slow doiwn to about maybe 25 miles or under it stops and then handles normally again.I love my acadia but it has taken the new car shine out of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
812 Posts
Web Raven said:
Droid said:
We have had this recurring problem with our '07 Acadia (19" rims)...winter or summer. Rims don't flush snow or dirt, it builds up from driving on backroads or snow covered roads and the car shakes like crazy. We have to wash them out to resolve the problem. Very frustrated. A lot of people we know who also have Acadias have had the same problem. GM hasn't offered a solution yet. :angryfire:
I live in the Chicago burbs and I have yet to experience a problem with snow building up in my tires or with my Acadia shaking like mad... and we've had PLENTY of snow this season. Of course, maybe this problem is particular to the 19" rims because I don't have those either.

big bear craig said:
There is a loud buffeting noise when the windows are down.
Is that what you call it? We call it SONIC BOOM. LOL It drives the kids crazy. I lock the windows, then roll down one window in the back and yell "SONIC BOOM!" ;D I'm evil like that.
i havent experience this yet but the Acadia is not meant to be driven with the windows down IMO...... that "loud buffeting noise" is just terrible...... :eek:hno:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
SioXie said:
Web Raven said:
Droid said:
We have had this recurring problem with our '07 Acadia (19" rims)...winter or summer. Rims don't flush snow or dirt, it builds up from driving on backroads or snow covered roads and the car shakes like crazy. We have to wash them out to resolve the problem. Very frustrated. A lot of people we know who also have Acadias have had the same problem. GM hasn't offered a solution yet. :angryfire:
I live in the Chicago burbs and I have yet to experience a problem with snow building up in my tires or with my Acadia shaking like mad... and we've had PLENTY of snow this season. Of course, maybe this problem is particular to the 19" rims because I don't have those either.

big bear craig said:
There is a loud buffeting noise when the windows are down.
Is that what you call it? We call it SONIC BOOM. LOL It drives the kids crazy. I lock the windows, then roll down one window in the back and yell "SONIC BOOM!" ;D I'm evil like that.
i havent experience this yet but the Acadia is not meant to be driven with the windows down IMO...... that "loud buffeting noise" is just terrible...... :eek:hno:
It only happens when the windows are in a certain position or just one window is open. If we have one back window open, then we need to open a front one just a little bit to avoid the sonic boom. It's still fun to torture the kids with it though. >:D
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top