GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,688 Posts
Search the forum with these keywords - "Service side detection system" - and you'll see what others have had to do about the problem. There is an SCA issued by GM for your Acadia. They'll repair it for no charge to you if your vehicle meets the criteria. Here's a description of the SCA:
#N172097060: Special Coverage Adjustment - Side Blind Zone Alert Module Water Intrusion - (Apr 1, 2019)
Some 2013-2017 GMC Acadia (Limited) vehicles, may have a condition where the Side Blind Zone Alert (SBZA) modules may fail or malfunction due to water intrusion. The driver may experience a side blind zone alert message displayed on the driver instrument cluster (DIC). If this message is ignored, the condition could result in the corruption of LS GMLAN that may result in the loss of some driver interface functions such as cluster, infotainment / displays, chime, and passenger presence detection (passenger airbag could be suppressed, w/airbag TT, DIC message). This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 6 years or 80,000 miles (130,000 krn), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Reactions: Ryanmalott

·
Super Moderator
23,688 Posts
I looked on the NTSB site and it shows no recalls. Is there something to say that is really the cause for this?
It's not a recall - an SCA is a focused extension of warranty for a particular problem which may arise. Water intrusion has been determined to be the most common problem for SBZA failures. If your vehicle qualifies, take it to a dealer and have their service center do the repair. You'll either have to pay for the repair, or turn the SBZA system off should your vehicle not meet the SCA time/mileage provisions.

·
Super Moderator
23,688 Posts
My 2016 Acadia has had this repaired twice already. I just hit 90k on my mileage and it’s happening again. Should this be covered?
If you had the first 2 repairs done at the same dealer's service center, you should ask them about any coverage. I wouldn't count too much on it being a covered repair otherwise. It never hurts to ask, though. You might get some assistance with the repair, but only if the fore mentioned scenario is true.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had mine replaced at least 5 times. Last 2 times it was replaced with the "encased model" but unfortunately at nearly 80,000 I'm having this replaced again this month. It'll be covered again this time, but I'm afraid next time it won't be since it'll be outside the 80,000 miles. I did request (2 times ago) to have the SBZA system shut off, but they said that they couldn't do that for some reason.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Don't have an Acadia any longer but if it is like my '21 Buick, you can disable Blind Side Monitoring by going into personalization and turning off Lane Change Alert.

Not sure if that prevents the system from detecting an issue with the sensor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had mine replaced at least 5 times. Last 2 times it was replaced with the "encased model" but unfortunately at nearly 80,000 I'm having this replaced again this month. It'll be covered again this time, but I'm afraid next time it won't be since it'll be outside the 80,000 miles. I did request (2 times ago) to have the SBZA system shut off, but they said that they couldn't do that for some reason.
So I am the fool. I Bought 2014 Acadia Denali with out doing my home work A week after buying. The Same warnings that you are all talking about pop up. Today it won’t start. I am in Alberta Canada. Can any one recommend to me where to buy the part? Is this something I can replace myself? Do they need to be programmed? Thank you all for reading and replying in advance. Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
So I am the fool. I Bought 2014 Acadia Denali with out doing my home work A week after buying. The Same warnings that you are all talking about pop up. Today it won’t start. I am in Alberta Canada. Can any one recommend to me where to buy the part? Is this something I can replace myself? Do they need to be programmed? Thank you all for reading and replying in advance. Any help is appreciated
I might focus on the non-start issue before I worried about the blind side detection error.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I might focus on the non-start issue before I worried about the blind side detection error.
Yea I agree. I disconnected the two sensors. One was clearly water damaged and swollen open. After I disconnected them. Acadia status and runs fine. No more code in the dash. Just the lights on in the mirror. I am looking to replace the parts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yea I agree. I disconnected the two sensors. One was clearly water damaged and swollen open. After I disconnected them. Acadia status and runs fine. No more code in the dash. Just the lights on in the mirror. I am looking to replace the parts
I have the same issue twice... I just noticed there was a Special Coverage.... I have been trying to work with the dealership and GMC in the last 5 months.... I got not good feedback.... I think GMC should be 100% responsible for the product defects! I guess we need work together as a group!

Anyone wants to work together through this, please email me: [email protected] .. Put GMC in the subject.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue twice... I just noticed there was a Special Coverage.... I have been trying to work with the dealership and GMC in the last 5 months.... I got not good feedback.... I think GMC should be 100% responsible for the product defects! I guess we need work together as a group!

Anyone wants to work together through this, please email me: [email protected] .. Put GMC in the subject.
I did find a sensor on eBay (sorry no link not sure how to). It was 150$. Basically plug and play. Those sensors are easy to find. It’s an awful design as they just float in the rear bumper exposed to all elements. I covered it with dielectric grease. Zip tied it in. And so far seems problem is solved. I do agree this should all be on GMC. But it is tough to complain about a vehicle that’s well past it’s warranty and I am not the first owner.

·
Super Moderator
23,688 Posts
... I do agree this should all be on GMC. ...
Have to disagree with that. The sensor is producd by an outside source. Many other makes/models so equipped with the outside manufacturer's product suffer from the same problem. Don't believe me? Look it up on the internet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts