GMC Acadia Forum banner

121 - 140 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Service Side Detection System

I have a 2015 Acadia have the same issues just had it in and $1800.00 no way. If this problem is ignored other the conditions could result in inter face functions. Cluster,infotainment,displays,chimes and passenger airbag. Of course there is a class action lawsuit now in progress. Google. As of April 1 2019 GM issued a Special Coverage Adjustment (SCA)for the Side Blind Zone Module Water Intrusion #N172097060. Helps to contact and file a case with GM Customer Care Center. They said this is now high priority.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Got letter from GM stating they will cover Blind Spot failure?!

I received a letter stating that GM will now cover my 2014 Acadia Denali til 80,000 miles or 2020 for any and all blind spot sensor failures and affiliated problems with it. To call my local dealer.

Anyone else get this and if you did, did you try calling and asking your local dealer about it?

(Moderator note: Post moved to proper discussion thread)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am joining this club.

2016 Acadia Denali with 24,000 miles purchased brand new in Fall 2016. I started receiving the Service Side Detection error message in late February/early March of this year. After reading the messages on here, I contacted the dealership to schedule an appointment to check it out. I called first and unfortunately the service department number goes directly to a voicemail box. Never received any response after multiple emails and phone calls with the exception of solicitations to purchase a new vehicle.

I received the letter from GMC last week and decided to reach out to another dealership to get an appointment scheduled. I asked the service rep if he was familiar with the issue and he said no as there were too many of them to keep track of and to just bring the vehicle in so that they can evaluate it. I have experienced some of the other issues noted here with the infotainment center going black and rebooting, satellite radio not working, and a message saying "battery low start vehicle". The battery message has come on less than 5 minutes after the engine was turned off and just started displaying since the side detection message came on. I am concerned that these other items are related and now deeply concerned after reading another message above about the car being disabled. This car is driven less than 3 miles each day and is our primary road trip car.

Headed to the dealership tomorrow. Fingers crossed that this will be a one and done repair now that it has been moved to "high priority."

·
Registered
3 Posts
I called weeks ago with this problem and GMC told me my VIN isn't affected (though I have the exact same problem). Today I get the letter that my vehicle is in fact part of the problem. The nearest dealership is over two hours away, so I've never had it serviced at one.

GMC says I have to pay out of pocket for diagnostics before they'll even speak to me about leeway, as I'm at 83,000. An $1800 fix for an issue I reported weeks ago and am 3k over.

·
Super Moderator
18,999 Posts
GMC says I have to pay out of pocket for diagnostics before they'll even speak to me about leeway, as I'm at 83,000. An $1800 fix for an issue I reported weeks ago and am 3k over.
Contact GMC Customer Care through the site listed in the Vendor section on the forum. Start the claim process with them and they'll help you all they can. They'll need to know, at a minimum, the car's VIN, current mileage, dealer name where you've tried to get service, and a descriptive history of how you tried to get the problem resolved. Many have had good results following this process. Wish you well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I called weeks ago with this problem and GMC told me my VIN isn't affected (though I have the exact same problem). Today I get the letter that my vehicle is in fact part of the problem. The nearest dealership is over two hours away, so I've never had it serviced at one.

Similar boat, although we have not been asked to foot an $1800 bill yet. Last night the car went into a huge electrical fault - wouldn't start, radio module inoperative, passenger door electronics not working, key fob intermittent. Left it for three hours and it started but still had issues with all the sensors and sounds (no turn signal sound at all, radio inop still). Took it to the dealership this morning and they confirmed it's all due to that module creating communication network faults. The issue now is the replacement/repair module is backordered for weeks at minimum, so we have to use the car in current condition, which puts us at risk of being stranded.

Are others getting the same response in terms of repair part availability? Anyone getting helped? This will be the second time we have replaced this module/had this fixed, so I expect we will be covered by the SCA, and I would prefer it be fully covered since it is a second time repair for the same issue.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Similar boat, although we have not been asked to foot an $1800 bill yet. Last night the car went into a huge electrical fault - wouldn't start, radio module inoperative, passenger door electronics not working, key fob intermittent. Left it for three hours and it started but still had issues with all the sensors and sounds (no turn signal sound at all, radio inop still). Took it to the dealership this morning and they confirmed it's all due to that module creating communication network faults. The issue now is the replacement/repair module is backordered for weeks at minimum, so we have to use the car in current condition, which puts us at risk of being stranded.

Are others getting the same response in terms of repair part availability? Anyone getting helped? This will be the second time we have replaced this module/had this fixed, so I expect we will be covered by the SCA, and I would prefer it be fully covered since it is a second time repair for the same issue.
What year? How many miles on the vehicle. How many miles when the module was replaced the first time?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone else try the preprogrammed sensors from rock auto that Tcmg was mentioning in his post? A bit surprised that they come that way but if they do I'd be in for a couple. My dealer wants 850$ in parts for 2 sensors and the harness.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Denali and received the Side Detection Special Coverage letter stating coverage to 80,000 miles. I'm past 80,000 miles but called GMC anyway top see if they could do anything. The guy on the phone said they would cover my diagnostics and repair as long as that is the same problem with special coverage, regardless of mileage.

The dealer diagnosed the problem and charged me $60 USD, and told me there is several weeks backlog for the modules.

I spent way over an hour on the phone with the dealer and GMC reps, and they refuse to pay, and told me the GMC phone adviser who said they would cover me outside the 80,000 miles was lying to me.

Now I'm really upset with the rotten GMC service because they lied to me, and wasted a couple hours of my time for diagnosing a problem for no reason, plus made me pay for the diagnosis.

If anybody has a way to contact GMC marketing management so I can let them know how they are throwing away a customer with bad service, please share.

·
Super Moderator
18,999 Posts
If anybody has a way to contact GMC marketing management so I can let them know how they are throwing away a customer with bad service, please share.
Go to the website for GMC Customer Care. You'll find a link for emailing information to them, expressing concerns, and posing your questions. It's probably best to keep an email record of your communication, instead of relying on phone calls. You'll also find a section for GMC Customer Care in the forum's vendor member list.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Now I'm really upset with the rotten GMC service......
I don't think you have any reason to be upset. You knew starting the process that your vehicle was no longer covered.

It is quite possible that the person that advised you it would be covered may not have been authorized to make that decision.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First posting. Hi folks.
My new-to-me, 2016 Acadia Denali has this same issue. I'm glad I know about the Special Coverage #N172097060. I'm covered though, and dealer is going to take care of it, because I'm only at 61,000kms.

(had a 2011 Traverse before this, so I'm used to GM/Chevy's problems...lol)

·
Registered
1 Posts
2013, black Acadia Denali...55,000k...first GMC car
I initially started having problems with the message "service side detction system". Brought it in to be serviced and was told that it was a $600 dollar module that needed to be replaced out of warranty. I also was having intermittent blinker problems (exterior blinker would work but the interior dash indicators would blink 3 times and pause for a long time and repeat...this occured on both sides). At the time that I brought the car in, the blinker issue wasn't happening and they said there were "no error messages". While waiting for the part to come in additional electrical issues have come up. The rear side cross alerts don't work. The whole dash went blinked on and off black, the XM radio doesn't work (called XM and the subscription is still good and they resent the signal to no avail), I get intermittent brief blinking of the dash with "service air bag" warnings. The front windshield projection system blinks off and then reboots with the GMC logo. The nav system was off by several blocks when I was driving in Boston the last two times. I have loved the car up until this point but it seems to point to a serious electrical issue. It is currently in the shop being looked at. I would be VERY hesitant to buy another GMC with this kind of problem in a car that is barely 2 years old. The dealer did pro-rate the module given how young the car is even though it is "out of warranty" but this seems to be just the tip of the iceberg. Anyone have any ideas of what is going on here????
I just purchased my 2014 GMC Acadia in March and am having the exact same problem you mentioned! How was it resolved?

·
Super Moderator
18,999 Posts
I just purchased my 2014 GMC Acadia in March and am having the exact same problem you mentioned! How was it resolved?
Welcome to the forum.
Does your car meet criteria for coverage under the Special Coverage Agreement (SCA)? Is so, the dealer should look into the problem and repair it free of charge as long as it's caused by the covered condition. The SCA applies regardless of ownership.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The “side detection module” if shorted out will cause all kinds of internal electrical issues! Battery dies, doors chime, dash and heads up go out, horns honk spontaneously, key fob works and then won’t and then will. The issue is the the module it is exposed to the elements under the back bumper which will cause erosion and it will corrode sending a bad signal to the rest of the cars circuit board! The fix, replace those sensors for 1500 bucks at your local dealership. Ours went out a year ago I just drove with it messed us because I lived without it before. Then things started going haywire. The dealership sauntered it for me so it wouldn’t throw signals. Two months ago I received a “extended bumper to bumper” because this is a known issue and GMC is trying to correct it for those who have paid for it or have not because of cost! Call the local dealership and see if your car is on that list! I have a 2013 Denali. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have getting the "Service Side detection system" in the information center, and can no longer turn it on or off in the menu settings. There is a previous thread that shows where the sensor/modules are located. Anybody have any DYI advice for fixing or turning it off? The lights in the mirror stay on all of the time. Or does someone know what might be involved having it fixed. The above previous post says the modules are $600.
2013 Acadia Denali 62,000 miles.

Thanks in advance.
Side Detection module is corroded!!!! I know this from experience! It is a known issue and an extended warranty bulletin recently was put out on it by GMC. Call your local dealership and get it fixed! The module becomes corroded and starts sending bad signals to the rest of the circuit board causing havoc on my he system! You can just turn it off, you can’t just hope it goes away eventually the entire electrical system will shut down if it’s not fixed! You can diy it for half of what a dealership will charge but call see if you can get in and see if your car falls under the criteria of the bulletin! I have a 2013 Denali and mine does! Hope that belps

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you have this code thrown on your car take it in to your local dealership. The side detection module located on the back bumper is exposed becomes corroded and sends a bad signal to the rest of your car! Your car will run for awhile but eventually you will start having all kinds of technical issues.

Car won’t start
Heads up and dash go out
Radio won’t work
Door chimes even when shut
Windows won’t roll up and down
And others

It is a known GMC issue and they have put out a bulletin and extended warranty for this component. Get a call into a certified GMC dealership and see if your vehicle falls under the criteria do so before it’s to late. Hope this helps!

121 - 140 of 165 Posts