GMC Acadia Forum banner

161 - 180 of 194 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,659 Posts
So after almost 8 months of waiting... my dealership said that the parts for my acadia is still not available... im losing my patience now, im having more problems now since the sensor broke down...
Time to contact GMC Customer Care. Follow the link in their vendor section.

·
Super Moderator
19,659 Posts
I go to gnc website canada, there is a live chat link. Can i do that to? They will open tmrw, monday.
Seems like a good place to go. Folks there should be able to start the ball rolling for you. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I took the advice from here and contacted the GMC through Facebook messenger. Took a few weeks of talking because they respond 24 hours after you write them - they asked me to take the vehicle to the dealership and pay for diagnostics. I was going anyway for an oil change - the dealer said "yup, it's not working" and called me to set up an appointment for the repair free of charge. I did not need the letter I'm guessing that GMC from Facebook gave them the OK to replace the sensors and the harness.

From first contact to repair - less than 1 month and most of that was because I was out of town for a week over Christmas / New Year.

Thanks to everyone for the information abut the special letter and GMC contact info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just wanted to document that I have a 2015 Acadia Denali that 2 weeks ago started throwing the "Service Side Detection System" warning. I took my vehicle in last week for diagnostics at the GMC dealer and both the harness and sensor were bad due to water intrusion. My vehicle did not fall under the SCA for some reason(?).

The parts are on order, and should be in this week. A lovely $448 for parts, $50 diag fee, and then $200 for labor...

This weekend the entire car shut down - radio, dvd player, HUD, odometer LCD, it threw multiple errors, the infotainment center shut down - all the same issues other have found because of this faulty sensor. The car would not restart. I ended up using the remote start to get it back on after waiting about 15 minutes. Luckily I was parked when this happened.

It's pretty clear this is a bigger issue than what was just covered in the original SCA. This was a new to me vehicle, just over a month old - 1 previous owner... a huge bummer.

I'm working with GMC now to see what can be done. I'm curious if others had this issue and had it resolved if their vehicle did not fall w/in the SCA? Also, I really hope the issue that cropped up over the weekend get resolved with the sensor replacement, and not permanent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just had this exact thing happen to my 2013 Buick Verano. Very disappointed in response from GM. I know my car is 7 years old but it only has 36,000 miles on it and was driven very little in the winter months.

I inherited this car about 2 years ago with 3,500 miles on it so it is basically a new car. I still have the original tires and brakes still on it. I too started having the service side detection light come on about 6 months ago. Took it in to the dealer and they told me I would need to replace the modules and that this is a common issue. I continued to drive the vehicle and just pushed the menu button every time I started the car and it wouldn't continue to show warning. Just in the past month it started coming on much more as I was driving.

Just the other day all electronic gauges and computer warnings started going haywire, so now I either have to fix it or I can not use the vehicle. I went into dealership and asked if there was a bulletin on this and they replied no. So after spending some time researching this and finding out that this is an ongoing issue for many GM vehicles I decided to contact GM to acquire some kind of assistance. At first the lady I talked with made it seem like they were going to help me out with the situation, but just yesterday I was called by GM and they told me my claim was denied. Again very disappointed in GM.

I have been a GM loyal customer for the past 30 years. I have owned 16 GM vehicle and currently have three. I explained to the person on the other end that this decision has helped me make my mind up on my next lease that is up in 6 months and I planned on leasing 2 vehicles, as my girls who have shared this lease will now be graduated, and both need a car. And on top of that I was in the market for a new car within the year.

Very short sighted by GM not to help out its loyal customers or anyone with this obvious defective problem. I still have many years of purchasing vehicles and now have a bad taste for GM products. Maybe I will change my mind after a few months when the sting of this $1000 repair fades away but right now I am not happy.

·
Super Moderator
19,659 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
GM won't turn back the clock on warranty work (even special extensions of warranty). That's regardless of customer loyalty. Every customer has to deal with that. The original delivery date was exceeded. Their flexibility only comes if the vehicle falls within the specified time period.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Just had this exact thing happen to my 2013 Buick Verano. Very disappointed in response from GM. I know my car is 7 years old but it only has 36,000 miles on it and was driven very little in the winter months.
Why are you disappointed that GM will not fix your car for free? It's been out of warranty longer than it was under warranty.

I will never understand that mindset.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
From what I've read. . with a little dexterity the modules can be purchased and replaced DIY.
Unless the connector ends are too far gone with corrosion. I think part of the GM fix included applying a liberal amount of dielectric grease to the wire harness connector and module socket. . to keep out water and slat from winter driving conditions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why are you disappointed that GM will not fix your car for free? It's been out of warranty longer than it was under warranty.

I will never understand that mindset.
I am disappointed because this is obviously a engineering problem or manufacturer's defect of this part. You do not see this failure rate in other vehicle from different manufacturers on side detection modules. The warranty for Buick is 5 years or 50,000 miles. Yes I am 2 years out but well under the 50,000 miles. I do understand that a warranty is a warranty for a specific time, but when you have a definite problem, well documented by many owners, then they should recall the part. I did not want the fix for free, but it would have been nice, I thought a fair solution would be parts covered and labor was on me. With what you are saying then they should never recall or have bulletins on anything, but that is not true. You will see many things fixed for free, for many things, from many manufacturers out of warranty.

·
Super Moderator
19,659 Posts
... You will see many things fixed for free, for many things, from many manufacturers out of warranty.
Please provide a list of at least 5 of these companies so we can all run out and buy their products (10 would be nice if you can do that). p.s. Recalls don't count.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I am disappointed because this is obviously a engineering problem or manufacturer's defect of this part. You do not see this failure rate in other vehicle from different manufacturers on side detection modules. The warranty for Buick is 5 years or 50,000 miles. Yes I am 2 years out but well under the 50,000 miles. I do understand that a warranty is a warranty for a specific time, but when you have a definite problem, well documented by many owners, then they should recall the part. I did not want the fix for free, but it would have been nice, I thought a fair solution would be parts covered and labor was on me. With what you are saying then they should never recall or have bulletins on anything, but that is not true. You will see many things fixed for free, for many things, from many manufacturers out of warranty.
Not to nitpick, but I'm pretty sure the B2B warranty on the '13 Buick was 4 years/50k miles.

Bulletins may or may not be covered by warranty. Recalls are usually reserved for known safety defects where folks have died or across the board defects.

My son is an ASE certified service advisor. He sees warranty claims denied on a pretty regular basis.

Some repairs are made outside of warranty but by and large they are not. That creates a slippery slope. How long do you expect things for free.

I have a 36 year old Corvette. Headlight motors are a known defect. It has about the same miles as your Buick. Should I expect GM to replace them for free when they fail?

Where do you draw the line?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not to nitpick, but I'm pretty sure the B2B warranty on the '13 Buick was 4 years/50k miles.

Bulletins may or may not be covered by warranty. Recalls are usually reserved for known safety defects where folks have died or across the board defects.

My son is an ASE certified service advisor. He sees warranty claims denied on a pretty regular basis.

Some repairs are made outside of warranty but by and large they are not. That creates a slippery slope. How long do you expect things for free.

I have a 36 year old Corvette. Headlight motors are a known defect. It has about the same miles as your Buick. Should I expect GM to replace them for free when they fail?

Not trying to argue, just making a point...

Loss of vehicle vehicle control, or any safety related issue, is a technically something that gets the notice of the NHTSA. In this case, the problem extends beyond the failed sensors.

Side Blind Zone Alert (SBZA) modules may fail or malfunction due to water intrusion. The driver may experience a side blind zone alert message displayed on the driver instrument cluster (DIC). If this message is ignored, the condition could result in the corruption of LS GMLAN that may result in the loss of some driver interface functions such as cluster, infotainment / displays, chime, and passenger presence detection (passenger airbag could be suppressed, w/airbag TT, DIC message).

In my case, the message wasn't ignored, I am just waiting for the part to show up when the "conditions" presented themselves. I'm just glad I wasn't on the interstate with my family. Just as an FYI, they are not allowing the repair items to be shelf stocked, so they MUST be ordered.

The failed sensor will cause the vehicle to shut down while in operation because of the corruption to the GMLAN:

1. Tire Monitoring shuts down
2. Air bags shut down (they document passenger - but ALL air bags shut down)
3. All HUDs/LCD/Screens shut down
4. You lose power steering
5. You lose power breaks
6. Your vehicle cannot be restarted (for ~15 minutes)

As you stated, it's unfortunate that a loss in life is what's needed to issue this past an SCA to a Recall. It's not just the sensor, but the GMLAN corruption that's an issue.

Why do you think GM provided an SCA less than 6 months after their SBZA lawsuit was dismissed? It's a problem, and they know it is. SCA's to a company look good. Recalls do not. I'm just here hoping GM get their ducks in a row on this issue.

I had a recall on a 15 year old vehicle and a 12 year old vehicle all in the last year w/ two separate issues (airbag and control arm). We're not beyond our bounds in believing this issue should be addressed.

I would recommend everyone who has this issue submit a claim to the NHTSA. This is the exact reason they exist.

·
Super Moderator
19,659 Posts
GM's issuance of the SCA covering SBZA problems means the NHTSA is already aware of the problem and GM took appropriate action to remedy it by an extension of warranty. It's likely NHTSA was involved with the decision not to issue a recall.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
GM's issuance of the SCA covering SBZA problems means the NHTSA is already aware of the problem and GM took appropriate action to remedy it by an extension of warranty. It's likely NHTSA was involved with the decision not to issue a recall.
Plus for a recall, the issue needs to be wide spread. Take the class action suit over the BSD on the Chevy Cruze It was over 40 vehicles. .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not trying to argue, just making a point...

Loss of vehicle vehicle control, or any safety related issue, is a technically something that gets the notice of the NHTSA. In this case, the problem extends beyond the failed sensors.

Side Blind Zone Alert (SBZA) modules may fail or malfunction due to water intrusion. The driver may experience a side blind zone alert message displayed on the driver instrument cluster (DIC). If this message is ignored, the condition could result in the corruption of LS GMLAN that may result in the loss of some driver interface functions such as cluster, infotainment / displays, chime, and passenger presence detection (passenger airbag could be suppressed, w/airbag TT, DIC message).

In my case, the message wasn't ignored, I am just waiting for the part to show up when the "conditions" presented themselves. I'm just glad I wasn't on the interstate with my family. Just as an FYI, they are not allowing the repair items to be shelf stocked, so they MUST be ordered.

The failed sensor will cause the vehicle to shut down while in operation because of the corruption to the GMLAN:

1. Tire Monitoring shuts down
2. Air bags shut down (they document passenger - but ALL air bags shut down)
3. All HUDs/LCD/Screens shut down
4. You lose power steering
5. You lose power breaks
6. Your vehicle cannot be restarted (for ~15 minutes)

As you stated, it's unfortunate that a loss in life is what's needed to issue this past an SCA to a Recall. It's not just the sensor, but the GMLAN corruption that's an issue.

Why do you think GM provided an SCA less than 6 months after their SBZA lawsuit was dismissed? It's a problem, and they know it is. SCA's to a company look good. Recalls do not. I'm just here hoping GM get their ducks in a row on this issue.

I had a recall on a 15 year old vehicle and a 12 year old vehicle all in the last year w/ two separate issues (airbag and control arm). We're not beyond our bounds in believing this issue should be addressed.

I would recommend everyone who has this issue submit a claim to the NHTSA. This is the exact reason they exist.
Thanks for reply. I will submit to NHTSA.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Goo

Good point, and I think you are right on the 4 years.

161 - 180 of 194 Posts