GMC Acadia Forum banner
201 - 215 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have getting the "Service Side detection system" in the information center, and can no longer turn it on or off in the menu settings. There is a previous thread that shows where the sensor/modules are located. Anybody have any DYI advice for fixing or turning it off? The lights in the mirror stay on all of the time. Or does someone know what might be involved having it fixed. The above previous post says the modules are $600.
2013 Acadia Denali 62,000 miles.

Thanks in advance.
Waiting for module now. Second one to go bad since 2018. Dealer wants $864.00 for module and harness. Had right side replaced under warranty few years ago. You can replace these for about $300.00 including the harness BUT they still have to be programmed into your communication bus, and only G.M. has the proprietary software.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2016 Acadia is at 123,000 kms now, and I'm getting the side-detection sensors replaced, for the 3rd time now, and I only acquired the vehicle at 60,000 kms. Still being replaced, at no cost to me, but frankly, this is ridiculous.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2016 Acadia is at 123,000 kms now, and I'm getting the side-detection sensors replaced, for the 3rd time now, and I only acquired the vehicle at 60,000 kms. Still being replaced, at no cost to me, but frankly, this is ridiculous.
This is a design flaw that should be enough for a recall. People are spending thousands of dollars on these sensors because you can't disable the **** things and eventually they can and will interrupt other signals in the communication bus, Like when your turn signals don't work or all the dash lights go out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey, did you ever figure out how to get this turned off or disabled without a major service bill. I have the same problem with my 2014 GMC Acadia, which of course is out of the warranty period.
I am writing this in this old thread, because someone my have a current problem and be reading it like myself. What happens is these side object moduals corrode and then they disrupt the communication bus for the Acadia, causing multiple other issues, some intermittent. IF you do not want to have them fixed, ever,... disconnect the moduals, they are under the bumper on the right and left side. This will stop the bus disruptions from these moduals. Put the plug in a plastic bag and tuck it up there, if you might someday want to fix them. Probably the plug is corroded anyway already. This is how to get everything else back on line, low cost.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our 2015 Acadia is at the dealership right now with this exact issue. Any other tips on fixing this problem ourselves? Do you leave the wiring connected to the communication bus? How many modules are involved? Are they at the front and rear bumper? Any additional advice would be very much appreciated!! I managed to start the car and drive through town without any signals or dash board controls working. The dealer told me today it's all because of this side detection system.

·
Super Moderator
23,605 Posts
... Do you leave the wiring connected to the communication bus? How many modules are involved? ...
The wiring stays in place because the harness is tied to data from the parking sensors, among other possibilities. Remove the SBZA modules (one on each side in the lower quarter panel behind the rear wheel) and protect the connectors from weather. Turn off the SBZA system in vehicle personalization.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our 2015 Acadia is at the dealership right now with this exact issue. Any other tips on fixing this problem ourselves? Do you leave the wiring connected to the communication bus? How many modules are involved? Are they at the front and rear bumper? Any additional advice would be very much appreciated!! I managed to start the car and drive through town without any signals or dash board controls working. The dealer told me today it's all because of this side detection system.
THere are two modulas, one on each side, inside of the bumper, where it wraps around the side of the car. You can reach up from under the gmc and see them. There is a tab you can push, and then pull the modual out forward. HOWEVER it will probably be very stuck...as it swells up when it corrodes. However with determination, you can get it lose..... BUT...even if you leave it in place, all you need to do to get the rest of the system to start to work...IE everything but these side object detection systems, is DISCONNECT each of these two moduals. THere is a connector on each, that has a place to push in, then pull it off. Then the system will not be disrupted on communication buss, and will start to work again.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Blind side monitoring has been a must have for me since it was introduced. Not sure why a bunch of you promote disabling it as opposed to repairing it.
Cost of parts and labor it seems. I suppose with the price of gas, food , etc. . .. some may delay a full repair.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had both side detection sensors corroded. The wire harness as well. Yellow mirror lights would just stay on. I replaced all three of the above parts and now the lights go out after a few seconds on start up as normal. About 20% of the time the system then goes on to work fine, with no service side object system message on dash. Other times the message service side object system comes up and even thought the lights remain out after the first few seconds as normal, they system will not work, for that trip. ...unless I restart the car...and it works again. Restart of car produces some successful system working start up and drives, and some not working with the service side object sensor error message on. A regular low end scan tool does not ever give any codes or fault messages. Again, I replaced both the harness and both sensors. DOES anyone know what might cause this random ...works...does not work... on consecutive start ups of the Acadia??? Ideas very much appriciated. .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello. I replaced both side object detectors on my Acadia with two new ones. Then I had to replace the wire harness as it was not giving me communication yet. Now, the dash displays "service object detectors" 4/5 start ups, and they system mirror lights go out as normal but do not detect any cars in blind spot. On about one of of 5 startups everything works fine with no message. Checking the codes, I get a code b101E on the left side object detector only. " object detector sensor vin no programed. Electronic control unit software vin not programed. or Electronic control unit calibration data not set, not programed". My basic mechanic suggested that this could be because something needs to be programed, OR, left unit is not working properly, OR both. I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this, have any idea what is going on, or why one of them works without a code and the other sends this code and makes dash display "service side object detectors", or how to program this properly without going to dealership if possible, or IF that is even in fact, what it needs? PS about 1 in five times I start the car, the code does not activate and they both work and detect cars. 4/5 times it throws this code and they will not work. Any insights or ideas??? Thank you much!

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Hello. I replaced both side object detectors on my Acadia with two new ones. Then I had to replace the wire harness as it was not giving me communication yet. Now, the dash displays "service object detectors" 4/5 start ups, and they system mirror lights go out as normal but do not detect any cars in blind spot. On about one of of 5 startups everything works fine with no message. Checking the codes, I get a code b101E on the left side object detector only. " object detector sensor vin no programed. Electronic control unit software vin not programed. or Electronic control unit calibration data not set, not programed". My basic mechanic suggested that this could be because something needs to be programed, OR, left unit is not working properly, OR both. I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this, have any idea what is going on, or why one of them works without a code and the other sends this code and makes dash display "service side object detectors", or how to program this properly without going to dealership if possible, or IF that is even in fact, what it needs? PS about 1 in five times I start the car, the code does not activate and they both work and detect cars. 4/5 times it throws this code and they will not work. Any insights or ideas??? Thank you much!
Yes. .if you replace the SBZA detectors they do need to be programmed by the dealer using proprietary equipment AFAIK. No way to do it yourself.
Others that have replaced them here on the forum have had to do so.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Yes. .if you replace the SBZA detectors they do need to be programmed by the dealer using proprietary equipment AFAIK. No way to do it yourself.
Others that have replaced them here on the forum have had to do so.
+1, I believe they need to be programmed plus the calibration/aiming needs to be checked.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Well. . not too bad. Still saved you quite a few $$$ ! (y)

201 - 215 of 215 Posts