GMC Acadia Forum banner

181 - 192 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
H
Please provide a list of at least 5 of these companies so we can all run out and buy their products (10 would be nice if you can do that). p.s. Recalls don't count.
Here is an article on secret warranties, or as I called them bulletins or things covered after the warranty expires.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
H

Here is an article on secret warranties, or as I called them bulletins or things covered after the warranty expires.
Might be more relevant if it referenced vehicles from this century.

Thanks to wide spread use of the internet, "secret warranties" are no longer so much a secret these days.

·
Super Moderator
19,534 Posts
+1 The request was for more up to date information based on the initial post.

·
Registered
6 Posts
T

Thanks to wide spread use of the internet, "secret warranties" are no longer so much a secret these days.
The point is they exist. Don't get upset when I show you information that backs it up. I can tell no matter what I show you, you are wanting to argue about this. Done responding to you.Have a nice day??

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Doesn't upset me in the least. I won't own a daily driver not covered by a factory warranty.

You call them secret warranties, GM calls them special coverage's.

You still did not answer the question. How long do you expect someone else to pay for your failed side detection system? 5 years, 10 years, 20 years?

Manufacturing defects happen. That's why vehicles come with a warranty. That is why owners have the option to purchase extended warranties.

Many like to roll the dice but then like to rant about the manufacturer when the manufacturer doesn't want to pay for out of warranty repairs.

As I said, I do not understand that mindset. Of course it always seems to be about money. My son sees this on a daily basis. Once out of warranty repair estimates reach a certain dollar amount all of a sudden owners start looking for someone else to pay for the repairs.

People are strange.

·
Super Moderator
19,534 Posts
You call them secret warranties, GM calls them special coverage's.
Let's not forget about campaigns. Many forums (this one included) have people with inside information who post those in special places for all to see. Unfortunately, our first 'insider' left the forum a few years ago. He was the one who started the ball rolling here and was very quick to post to a list he created.

p.s. Even most campaigns (if not all) have an "expiration date." The only thing with any longevity is a recall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I took the advice from here and contacted the GMC through Facebook messenger. Took a few weeks of talking because they respond 24 hours after you write them - they asked me to take the vehicle to the dealership and pay for diagnostics. I was going anyway for an oil change - the dealer said "yup, it's not working" and called me to set up an appointment for the repair free of charge. I did not need the letter I'm guessing that GMC from Facebook gave them the OK to replace the sensors and the harness.

From first contact to repair - less than 1 month and most of that was because I was out of town for a week over Christmas / New Year.

Thanks to everyone for the information abut the special letter and GMC contact info.
Mine didn't have the special letter either but after contacting GMC they contacted my dealership and everything was replaced for free (except the diag fee).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Time to contact GMC Customer Care. Follow the link in their vendor section.
Seems like a good place to go. Folks there should be able to start the ball rolling for you. Let us know how it goes.
After 10 months, they finally fixed mine... you guys better call gm customer care... thanks admin!

·
Super Moderator
19,534 Posts
Thanks for that, but the information has already been posted in various replies here and in the "Recall / Campaign / Special Policy Master List Thread."

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm back. First off, i owe the group closure to Round 1. Posts between 45 and 54 in this thread (thank you Speleos, for consolidating these) which occurred 3/11 to 4/8/2017 resulted in an out of pocket $600 expense for (1) 23106752 BLOCK, (1) 84004718 HARNESS. (2) 22960672 MODULE. and (1) 84049754 SWITCH. They had the <60k mile vehicle for 5 days and worked on it almost full time. The roads were clear of salt and I was able to use my '92 typhoon for daily driving. The dealer worked with GM to get me the $600 bill; I don't know how well they were compensated by GM for labor or parts.

Fast forward to fall of 2019. Vehicle had about 98K miles and we wanted to trade it for a 2020 before hitting the powertrain warranty expiration at 100k.. With the strike, inventory was miniscule and we didn't make the move A Halloween blizzard salted the roads for the season and I lost interest in a new vehicle while the roads were salty.

Round 2 began with "SERVICE SIDE DETECTION SYSTEM" around 102k and went downhill fast. One day the DIC also scrolled "SERVICE AIR BAG", "PARK ASSIST OFF", and "SERVICE TIRE MONITOR SYSTEM". The HUD flashed a big GMC and the gauges were swinging back and forth before going flat. I was driving home on a sunny morning after dropping my daughter off at school, so no worries for me. If this happened to a normal person in traffic, or at night in a bad neighborhood, or in below zero weather; there could be some stress. Because I read this forum, I knew that where the vehicle is shut off is probably where it's going to stay. I parked it in a spot that wasn't blocking my other cars and that a tow truck could get to. I shut it off and removed the key. A loud clunking noise was coming from the dashboard. I tried to restart and got nothing. The clunking noise persisted and I proceeded to disconnect the battery before it was drained. I know where the battery is and which tools are required to disconnect it because I replaced it last fall when it was weak after sitting for a few days. Did I replace a good battery that was feeding a current drawing module?

The dealer is under new ownership since Round 1. I'll try to give them a call tomorrow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The dealer installed a 84651473 module kit for $170.68. If I had <80k miles, it would have been fully covered. The kit has both modules and the harness. They also installed covers over the modules. I don't know if these are part of the kit or "above and beyond"; since modules don't last 3 years in my climate.

181 - 192 of 192 Posts