GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Acadia for 3 weeks now. Almost 400 miles on it. Today the service engine soon light comes on. I press the onstar button so they can run diagnostics. They come back and say it is showing an evaporative emmissions problem. They then say that if the light is still on in 7 days take it to the dealer. Anyone heard of or had this issue? I'm going on a 400 mile round trip tomorrow. Is it ok to drive with this light on for this problem? The onstar advisor seemed to think so but they aren't mechanics and everything she was reading me was very scripted. Any input would be appreciated.

By the way- has anyone had a serious problem when the service engine soon light came on where the Onstar agent recommended you not drive the vehicle? Do they do that if it is important or potentially damaging to the vehicle?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I haven't had this problem on my Acadia but did have it recently on my old Ford. It could be a loose or faulty gas cap, though I believe the Acadia has a separate light for that. On my Ford it was a vacuum leak on the charcoal canister. Basically what this system does is keep a slight vacuum on the fuel system so that the vapours can be collected (lower emissions of raw gasoline evaporating into the air). It's probably not a big deal but it's under warranty so I would definitely bring it in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had the same problem for the first 5 days I had mine. Also had it from time to time on my Hummer. Don't know the technical reasons but it has something to do with how or if the gas cap is put on right. After second tank refill, the light went out.
Would go out on my Hummer also after I topped off the tank and made sure gas cap was on correctly.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The light went out after 5 days for you? Did you have Onstar diagnose the problem? They told me that it was probablly related to the gas cap. Mine is on correctly so it is either a bad gas cap or something else.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one that has experienced this. :cheers:

·
Registered
492 Posts
No kidding, One morning I was going to work and the DIC says "tighten fuel cap or loose fuel cap" :eek: Something like that.

I get to work and sure enough it was loose. The big question was how did it come loose after going to the prom with a daughters boyfriend driving.

That DIC is smart.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: Ok so after driving all weekend with this light on waiting for it to go out on its own (with no results), I called the dealership to bring it in on Monday. The service guy called me back and said to wait a few more days and the problem should clear up on its own. He told me this issue is normally realted to the gas cap (as Onstar and this forum told me)and the system has to check itself twice with good results to turn the SES light off. Sure enough yesterday (5 days later) the light went out.

Through this whole process, I have checked the gas cap several times to make sure it was on correctly. Even after I turn it and hear several clicks, it still seems loose. The cap is locked in place but I can move it from side to side slightly. Does this seem normal? or is something wrong with my cap that may have caused this problem in the first place?

If it happens again I will take it in to be checked.

·
Registered
123 Posts
This happened to my Saab too so maybe it's a GM thing. Joking! Seriously, if it happens to enough people they will start replacing them for free like the Saabs. Mine always seemed loose. After the new cap, the check engine light never came on again.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
This happened repeatedly on my wife's Lexus RX300. Each time, the dealer said it was the gas cap not being tightened. She insisted she tightened it every time. Eventually, they found a crack in some component of the fuel system (I don't recall where). Since that was fixed, she has had no further problems.

Bottom line: if it continues to happen, get the dealer to keep looking.

Kelly

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
At least it eventually goes off on it's own. On the Volvo, I would have to travel 45 minutes each way to get the dealer to reset it!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so after several more weeks of battling this problem (ses light on and then off several times), I took it in to the dealer. They ran a bunch of test on the emmissions system and finally came back and said it was a bad gas cap. The crazy part is they didn't have any in stock (nor did any other dealers around) and they had to order one from Lansing. So I have to wait a few more days for it to come in to hopefully be done with this annoyance.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Check engine light on my 99 Yukon, same deal - bad gas cap.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
I had the same problem with an '02 Explorer. Changed the gas cap and had Autozone reset the light. Worked for a few weeks and the light came on again. Had the warning light reset and traded the vehicle in on my Acadia. I hope that this doesn't start with this vehicle!!!

·
Registered
730 Posts
It happened on my '05 Explorer. Service brought down my tank, check gas cap, applied some additives due to some sulfur deposits found..no help. Eventually, the sending unit ,the fuel pump, housing was replaced. No problem ever since.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Went and picked up the new cap today. The service advisor told me that GM had already changed the gas cap part number since mine was built (in March). This one has a longer teather. So far the light hasn't come back on.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Our Saab 9-5 wagon did this, and the dealer advised me it was probably the gas cap, and to give it a few days. It resolved after a day or so.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do any of you think this gas cap problem could of messed something up in the Acadia's computer that is causing it to burn more fuel than normal?

Because of the waiting period on the new cap coming in, I did drive around with the service light off and on for about 1000 miles. This is the only problem I have had that could possibly be realted to gas mileage so I wanted to get some opinions from those of you that are familiar with the evaporative emmissions system and it's relation to fuel economy.

I have read the other threads on the gas mileage topic and some of you are getting much better mileage than I am which I find strange. I do mainly city driving with ac on and am getting about 12 mpg. Interstate driving is around 20 (which is fine with me). I didn't expect the mileage the sticker says but this is ridiculous. My main concern is that something is wrong with the vehicle that is causing this excessive fuel usage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I also get only 12 to 13 mph around town. I get 22 to 23 mph for expressway driving. It seems to me that this vehicle's fuel economy is greatly affected by the type of driving done. On one tank I drove the the first 1/4 tank on the expressway and then the next 1/2 tank around town. I filled up when there was only 1/4 tank left. My average on the DIC was over 20 mpg. So, the 1/4 tank of expressway driving greatly affected the average mph.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That does make me feel a little better. Like I said before my main concern is some type of engine problem causing this bad mileage. I can live with the crappy mileage as long as i know it is normal. With the numbers some people are reporting, I get concerned about mine being so low.

·
Registered
31 Posts
BigGuy said:
Do any of you think this gas cap problem could of messed something up in the Acadia's computer that is causing it to burn more fuel than normal?
A loose or missing gas cap will not affect your vehicles MPG.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts