GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 GMC Acadia 3.6 ltr. While driving home the DIC stated it was in battery saving mode. Made it home and after turning car off, it would not start. Had problems with battery drain before, so I replaced it. Now the car runs fine, except I get the service battery charging system warning on the DIC. Could this be a bad alternator or fuse? Any suggestions on further diagnosing the problem would be helpful. Thanks.

P.S. I reviewed the forum before posting, but most of the posts don't address if a new battery has been installed.

·
Registered
8,586 Posts
Its pretty much detected an issue with the charging system.

Any idea of the voltage output? (meter reading?)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was reading about 12 according to dash, but after driving it, it now has been drained all the way and is dead. Won't start. Threw up a bunch of battery saver warnings and started shutting systems down, which I understand is normal when the battery is carrying the load.

·
Super Moderator
21,534 Posts
Mayhem1969 said:
It was reading about 12 according to dash, ...
Have you had the alternator tested? Sounds like that could be the problem. If the alternator is charging the system, it should be putting out 14-16 VDC on the meter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not yet. I am assuming its the alternator since it is not charging the battery, but I have read where the battery and alternator test fine, but the battery still drains. I agree that it might be time to test the alternator.

·
Super Moderator
21,534 Posts
Mayhem1969 said:
... I have read where the battery and alternator test fine, but the battery still drains. ...
If that's the case with your car, there's either a short circuit or some component that's not turning off when the car is powered down. It will take more help than a forum can provide to you in a search for what might cause that condition. There are so many variables involved that it will require direct professional assistance if you can't DIY.

For now, look to the possibility that the alternator has gone bad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I replaced the alternator. Now when I get in the car there are no lights on the dash or overhead, completely dark. When I turn the key to the on position, everything stays dark. The car does not crank. When I try to take the key out it gets stuck and will not turn to the off position. If I connect another car to the battery to jump it, then the lights respond and the key can move to the off position. However, I could not get the car to turnover. When my brother connected his F250 to jump it, the car started. It drove fine and the battery gauge read 14 to 14.5 and the alternator was clearly charging the battery. However, when I turned the car off, the same thing happened. He had to jump it again.

I took the battery out and charged it overnight. I was reading 100% charge when I put it in this morning. The battery shows that it has power when I use a test light. As soon as I take off one of the jumper batter cables the car immediately goes dark again. I can't think of anything else. It just doesn't make any sense to me. I'm open to any ideas.

·
Super Moderator
21,534 Posts
You need to double-check your work and make sure everything is plugged back in, hooked up properly, and no wires got broken/pinched, especially in the battery compartment. Look through this thread - http://www.acadiaforum.net/index.php?topic=63.40. It might be helpful.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have rechecked all connections, but will check again. It doesn't appear to be getting power from the battery to the front of the fuse box. Checked all fuses and appear to be good. I'll check the link, thanks.

·
Registered
8,586 Posts
what about that big fuse--- that powers half the fuse box...

on the left hand side of the fuse box, there are large square circuit breaker type fuses. then under BATT2 there is a big 50amp fuse....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have checked all the connections again. The battery is fully charged and the fuse in the battery is good. I show power going through the power cable at the battery. I have checked the fuses and they all look good as well. It does not appear that the car is getting power. But, I can't seem to figure out where.

·
Super Moderator
21,534 Posts
Speleos said:
... There are so many variables involved that it will require direct professional assistance if you can't DIY.
I think you have reached this point. :shrug:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I connect jumper cables to the Acadia, it immediately turns everything on, but it will not give it sufficient power to start the car.

·
Super Moderator
21,534 Posts
Mayhem1969 said:
I think I'm past that point! It's as if the car does not think the battery is even installed.
How can you say that you're past the point of needing professional assistance? You say the fuses are good, the battery is good, the alternator is good, and that jumping the car at the underhood lugs gives power to it. Seems rather obvious that either you're overlooking something, or you don't have the tools/know-how to thoroughly check circuit continuity from the battery to the fuse box. Wish you luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
2007 GMC Acadia 3.6 ltr. While driving home the DIC stated it was in battery saving mode. Made it home and after turning car off, it would not start. Had problems with battery drain before, so I replaced it. Now the car runs fine, except I get the service battery charging system warning on the DIC. Could this be a bad alternator or fuse? Any suggestions on further diagnosing the problem would be helpful. Thanks.

P.S. I reviewed the forum before posting, but most of the posts don't address if a new battery has been installed.

I have this same problem , I’ve replace the battery and the alternator and like once a week I get this warning but only at night , so what I’m next going to do about it is get the wiring harness for the whole charging system looked at because its
Most likely a wire some where gotpinch or got corroded , I bought this car at 225000 km and replaced wire harness on the doors just cause of the problem these 2007 GMC Acadia have with water leaking inside it and crorroding them so my best bet is you have the same problem with the wires

·
Super Moderator
21,534 Posts
golbinslayer, do you realize that you responded to a post that's almost 4 years old?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts