GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Acadia. The Service Battery Charging System light was on. The battery and negative cable were both a few months old. The alternator wasn't charging so my local mechanic replaced it. The message has still been coming on sporadically. I brought it back and he tested everything again and it is charging correctly. Of course the message didn't appear when he drove the car. I was there when he tested it under heavy load and the voltage was fine. He also assured me all the wiring connections were solid.

Could the issue be that we didn't install an OEM alternator? I know sometimes these computer systems don't play nice with aftermarket parts. Could that be what is tripping the message?

·
Super Moderator
21,534 Posts
Could the issue be that we didn't install an OEM alternator? I know sometimes these computer systems don't play nice with aftermarket parts. Could that be what is tripping the message?
Replacing the factory alternator with an aftermarket, or rebuilt alternator has caused problems like that in some vehicles.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Depends. Was it a remanufactured replacement? If so, it should be the original part, repaired to OE fit and function. If it's a new aftermarket brand, or some sort of rebuilt aftermarket brand, there may be issues.

Otherwise, how many miles? Could be a belt component.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The light hasn't come on for a few days so hopefully it's all good now. I drove it pretty hard on the highway the other day under heavy load to get it spinning fast. I think maybe the battery was just run down a little when the light came on before.

·
Super Moderator
21,534 Posts
The light hasn't come on for a few days so hopefully it's all good now. I drove it pretty hard on the highway the other day under heavy load to get it spinning fast. I think maybe the battery was just run down a little when the light came on before.
Sometimes it takes a while for a message to clear itself if someone doesn't clear it from memory manually.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts