GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
??? hi guys, ive been setting my sights for a while in the new GMC Acadia eversince i saw it featured in the autoshow and i did my first test drive 2 days ago, really like the bodywork for the new lambda platform that GM iintroduce and the car certainly lives up to what im expected. All the features of a minivan in a Suv-like package is what brought me to plan to buy my first american car, the features are great but its stil a bit pricey for me when comparing it to the features of a Mazda CX9 or a Nissan Murano... or an Acura MDX ( which r my next 3 options) which is way farther in technology than the Acadia but other than that im sold to it, its brawny and can carry 8 people with ease, theres no other crossover currently in the market that rivals it in terms of spaciousnessand design. i been surfing this forum and other sites as well as was drawn back sadly by the amount of Reliabilty and Quality issues thats been flooding the Acadia :angryfire:..... to add more to the problem it take at least 8-10 weeks for the "build process" and its beem rumored due to the high demand that GM will bump the prices for the 2008 model :sosad: now im having 2nd thoughts of buying my 1st ever GMC..... [/color]

·
Registered
119 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried about the quality issues. This is a forum after all, where people post problems and issues on the internet to get them answered, and of course more people will take time to post problems and try to get them solved, as opposed to people who are happy with their purchase and want to tell the whole world about it (not that it's a bad thing! :cheers:)

Welcome to the forum BTW! :welcome:

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
SioXie said:
??? hi guys, ive been setting my sights for a while in the new GMC Acadia eversince i saw it featured in the autoshow and i did my first test drive 2 days ago, really like the bodywork for the new lambda platform that GM iintroduce and the car certainly lives up to what im expected. All the features of a minivan in a Suv-like package is what brought me to plan to buy my first american car, the features are great but its stil a bit pricey for me when comparing it to the features of a Mazda CX9 or a Nissan Murano... or an Acura MDX ( which r my next 3 options) which is way farther in technology than the Acadia but other than that im sold to it, its brawny and can carry 8 people with ease, theres no other crossover currently in the market that rivals it in terms of spaciousnessand design. i been surfing this forum and other sites as well as was drawn back sadly by the amount of Reliabilty and Quality issues thats been flooding the Acadia :angryfire:..... to add more to the problem it take at least 8-10 weeks for the "build process" and its beem rumored due to the high demand that GM will bump the prices for the 2008 model :sosad: now im having 2nd thoughts of buying my 1st ever GMC..... [/color]
welcome aboard.

Any first year model will have its growing pains. I would expect the same from the CX-9 and the MDX. As for being pricey, what are you getting inthe MDX? That SUV is the same if not more money when opting it out. I owned 2 Envoys before, the 2nd and 4th model year.Never a problem.

As for the Murano, that isn't a fair comparison. It barely fits 5 comfortably and is priced accordingly.

As for the deal, that is what is standard for any new model that is the "flavor of the month". I waited 3 months for my BMW and it was out for over a year. As for the price,I doubt it will be raised.

I'm not trying to negate anything you say, but just offer my opinion. Like mentioned to an ealrier poster (Tom H), there is the eternal battle of what you want and what you need. If you are looking at the Murano do you need an 8 pass vehicle? That may cut the cost. There is also the SLE FWD option in the Acadia for mid 30's I guess.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:confused:thanks for the fast reply guys, its like my heart begs for the Acadia but my mind tells me otherwise, i know its a first year model thats why im opting to wait for another year to see if GM really adress all the current isssues about the Acadia but why the big number of complaints for a 1st year car being it " professional grade" ? isnt it too much even for a new model? iu wud read owners having their 1 wk. old Acadia towed to a dealer and then came back with more problems! thats what holding me back.... and some of these are major safety issues...
[/color]

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
as for the technology the CX9, murano and MDX comes with the backup camera on their Nav system and all have Smart key access as standard on their top of the line models, remote start included. their Nav and Drivers Information Computer are way superior than that of the Acadia with the MDx being too techie :eek:, the CX9 even have a credit card key fob and a switch blade like spare key ;D. and with the Acadia pricing just below the Mdx i was hoping it was at par to these models to begin with especially the CX9 which have the most options for a lower price. Even their HID lights comes adjustable ( i think the MDX is self levelling) compared to the fixed one in the Acadia. a little bit of these things would make the Acadia unbeatable. i just wish i can wait a little bit longer for GM to address the issues and make the Acadia better in 08. coz in the end its what u get 4 da money dats count da most.... :cheers:[/color]

·
Registered
48 Posts
Technically, the Acadia is no longer a first year model. 2008s are now being produced.

Remember that forums like this concentrate the problems. Most people not having problems will never sign on to this type of forum. It is very difficult to accurately judge problem rates from these types of on line discussion groups. You can see the types of problems being experienced, but not the frequency.

·
Registered
542 Posts
All I can say is I love my Acadia and have had no issues. As for Mazda, we own a Mazda 6 2003 model. Its a real cheapo quality car and not well thought out. For the price paid we could have gotten better quality and features in a similar GM model. I really hate it and would never buy another Mazda. Of course it is not a 2007 CX-9 but I would caution you to look very closely at the build quality before jumping into one.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keith said:
All I can say is I love my Acadia and have had no issues. As for Mazda, we own a Mazda 6 2003 model. Its a real cheapo quality car and not well thought out. For the price paid we could have gotten better quality and features in a similar GM model. I really hate it and would never buy another Mazda. Of course it is not a 2007 CX-9 but I would caution you to look very closely at the build quality before jumping into one.
when it comes to build quality i know one when i see one thats why i been an import buyer for the last 10 yrs. coz the only american car i recognized was a Cadillac until GMC released the new Lambda platform that caught my eye..... finally i cud have a reason 4 buying American.... and as i remember when i was helping my friend purchase his car back in 03 we were looking at GMs car preferably the Pontiacs, the Chevys and the Saturns i dont remember any of these cars could stand up againts a Mazda 6 or an Accord...... ;D

·
Registered
542 Posts
My experience has been different. I had a Pontiac Grand AM (1990?) I got 160,000 miles on it with no problems. My last car was a Pontiac Grand Prix 1997. I sold it with 225,000 miles on it. Still almost all original equipment including mufflers. Changed hoses once. Two tune ups. Never a problem or recurring issue. I cannot say the same for my 86 Toyota. My brothers Jetta is really cheapo bare bones for $30,000. I think perception has alot to do with things. I think many are thinking way back to the 70s and 80s when thinking of American makes.

·
Registered
208 Posts
You should do a google search for "Acura MDX transmission failures" or "Honda Pilot transmission failures." What you'll find is that these cars (including the Accord, Acura CL, etc.) have had MAJOR transmission failures. One person even had his front wheels lock up on the highway when the transmission failed on him. Some have had transmissions replaced several times. Not good for cars Consumer's Reports and other magazines keep recommending. Actually, I don't think the import cars are any more reliable these days than an American car. Like others have said, it's all about perception in quality. With Consumers Reports and other magazines preaching the quality of Toyotas and Hondas, one may perceive these are the best cars when in actuality they have their problems too, and some serious ones at that. I've always owned American cars, and will likely buy an Acadia or Outlook when I replace my 1997 GM car which runs like new even after 141,000 miles! I'd rather take a chance on the GMC Acadia than the Acura MDX which may have a faulty transmission!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
You would be foolish to to not buy a car because of the problems you see on this board. Like mentioned before, internet forums sway heavily toward the negative side of the car than the positive. More people complain about what they don't like than talk about what they do like.
I just peeked in at acuramdx.org forum and OMG!!!!!! If you think the acadia has problems, you will most certainly not like the acura. The truth is, EVERY car has problems. When I worked at a GM dealer in Savannah, GA they also had Mercedes and BMW there, and I got to see what goes wrong on the "fine german engineering" and I can tell you, sometimes our "american junk" came out smelling like a rose.

Long story short, if you like the car, let the warranty iron out any wrinkles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was talking to my dealer, and his take is that if you are buying a car- buy japanese, but if you are buying a truck/van/suv- buy american. I am in total agreement with that.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Nothing in life is a guarantee. You could buy a Lexus, and it be a lemon. You could buy an Acadia and never have trouble.

The overwhelming majority of us love our Acadias. You just have to decide if you want one or not. If you do, go for it. I am the Queen of Overanalyzing, and it just brings on more stress.

·
Registered
730 Posts
steve b said:
I was talking to my dealer, and his take is that if you are buying a car- buy japanese, but if you are buying a truck/van/suv- buy american. I am in total agreement with that.
did he care to explain why?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I love my Acadia and have had no problems with it (transmission lag aside since I've adapted to that and we get along just fine now).

However, mine is an SLE FWD without all the bells & whistles of the SLT. If you're look at a car/truck/suv with all the goodies, then I think you're bound to run into issues eventually no matter what the make or model is.

Good luck with your decision. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have been a GMC vehicle owner since August 1987. My first was a 1987 GMC Jimmy that I had for almost 130,000 miles and 7 years. I then leased the next 3 GMC Jimmy's and the current one is almost 9 years old with only 86,000 miles on it. These cars just keep getting better. I'm picking up my new GMC Acadia tomorrow! I believe that this vehicle is made for the long run. GM has been making trucks for a long time and the quality just keeps getting better.

·
Registered
122 Posts
bolina said:
I have been a GMC vehicle owner since August 1987. My first was a 1987 GMC Jimmy that I had for almost 130,000 miles and 7 years. I then leased the next 3 GMC Jimmy's and the current one is almost 9 years old with only 86,000 miles on it. These cars just keep getting better. I'm picking up my new GMC Acadia tomorrow! I believe that this vehicle is made for the long run. GM has been making trucks for a long time and the quality just keeps getting better.
Excellent Point! I think I'm as guilty as anyone of holding onto 20 and 30 year old nightmares in dealing with American cars. They truly used to be crap. The main reason was the piss-poor management of yesteryear. They owned and controlled the market and really didn't give a dam about the customer. It was the "take what we give you and shove it" attitude that I grew up learning to hate. The Chevy Vega comes to mind but the list is long. The Japanese companies started to listen and build quality and value into the product. They did, at one point, have a vastly superior product. The gap is getting smaller as each year passes. Todays American made cars are made from a model where quality is a competitive benchmark as opposed to features alone. The problem they still face is having to make the inevitable trade off between the enormous cost of improving quality, and the price point that a buying public can afford. There still has to be compromises somewhere. Maybe they have to put the $3.00 switch into the dash instead of the $5.00 one with a great tactile feel and durability. The Acadia has to use a smaller engine to move the car and is dependent on clever software in the transmission to make up the difference. Sure it could be better but the Acadia would be a $50,000 to $60,000 car and who could buy it. The truth is that the bang-for-the-buck in the Acadia is amazing. I really don't think that at any point in automotive history have so many features at above average quality levels been available at this price point. And it will keep getting better.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tom H said:
I think I'm as guilty as anyone of holding onto 20 and 30 year old nightmares in dealing with American cars. They truly used to be crap.
In total fairness, what car isn't? Round up a group of 20 year old Chevy Cavaliers or Ford Taurus and note the average condition (suspension wear, oil leaks, rust, interior condition, exhaust, etc...). Now round up a group of 20 year old Toyota Corollas or Honda Civics. I bet they are in similar condition. Cars have come a long way and GM has done well to keep up.

Another thing that makes "import" cars look so much better is how many "break down". You might not know anybody who has had a problem with a Tundra, yet might know a few people that had problems with F150s. In 2005, Toyota sold 126,795 Tundras. If only 1/2 percent broke down, thats only 634 trucks. That same year, Ford sold 756,980. If that same 1/2 percent broke down, thats 3,784 people stranded somewhere, making the Ford look like a POS compared to the Toyota, yet they share the same reliability rate.

I truely believe GM makes some of the best autos in the business, and I'm proud to be a tech and an owner. Import "hype" does not phase me.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Granted I am biased because I have always loved GM products, but IMO you should drive everything that looks appealing and buy the one that fits you best. I don't think there is a POS out there anymore, with the exception of all Ford products :) Just kidding but seriously drive more than one vehicle and pick your favorite. Like DenaliTech said every forum is loaded with problems people have so you can't look at a forum and make your decision that way. :cheers:

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:thumb: thats what ive been xpecting from GM and hoping that their new approach wud yield great results in terms of better product quality and reliability at par with the imports, for years most GM, FORD and Chrysler have rely to much on their "volume Approach" when it comes to producing cars and trucks even as their market share is slowly been eaten by their competetion in terms of better product quality and placement, when it comes to cars sadly the imports won, not a single american car can stood up to a Toyota, Lexus, BMW, VW,Honda Nissan, etc products except again a Cadillac. (i wud choose a Camry anytime over a Pontiac) now that the imports are slowly gaining momentum on the Truck share of the supposed Big 3, only GM has i guess a positive reply againts the competetion.... with a brand new architecture and almost revised model line up (Ford is jas applying cosmetic make up to their ancient Expedition n Explorer :eek:hno:) Gm can have a product that worthy to be called proffessional grade until the dreaded quality issues be resurfaces again.... now thats a bummer!!! :eek: dats why i wil wait a little bit 2 buy my Acadia. [/color]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts