GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have not test-driven an Acadia yet but we did sit in one recently. My husband sat in the second row captains chair and did not think it would be comfortable for a long car trip. We're planning to take our kids (ages 10 and 13) for a test drive to see what they think. We've never had 2nd row captains chairs and we currently have a Sequoia with a bench seat -- my husband feels like we'd be downgrading in terms of space by getting the Acadia but paying more than we did for the Sequoia.

Any input on the comfort level of the second row captains chairs on a long car trip? ???

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have only sat in them for a test drive (vehicle currently on order) but they seemed nice. In my mind the benefit is the space in the center. You can walk through the middle like a minivan, even with a child seat installed! So, I wouldn't think of it as "downgrading" because of the loss of a seat.

Keep in mind, there's a $495 upcharge for this feature, so most people would consider it an upgrade. ;)

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have the 8 passenger version and the seats are very comfortable. It's also nice having that extra seat when I haul 8. If you don't need to put car seats on the bench, the access to the rear is very simple, but for small people, going between the captains chairs is easier. I personally liked the way the hauling area ended up looking with all seats folded flat as well.

I think you have the right idea to take the kids for a test drive. We looked at both, and liked the look and feel of the 8 passenger better. But many like the captains chairs too. Either way, it is a fantastic vehicle!! Let us know what you end up doing.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
stiffi said:
I have only sat in them for a test drive (vehicle currently on order) but they seemed nice. In my mind the benefit is the space in the center. You can walk through the middle like a minivan, even with a child seat installed! So, I wouldn't think of it as "downgrading" because of the loss of a seat.

Keep in mind, there's a $495 upcharge for this feature, so most people would consider it an upgrade. ;)
Ditto!!! I have sat in them and most comfortable. Wife made me sit in the back seat while her and friend enjoyed front row, 2 months ago. Always second fiddle...in her car.

·
Registered
284 Posts
They're comfortable, but like you're comparing to in the Seqouia, they still don't have that more natural "home-like" height and comfort of our Suburban's seats. The extra thin-ness and lowered perch give the impression.

Moving from a car, you'd be thrilled. Moving from a larger SUV, it seems a bit odd, but seems like something to get used to.

·
Registered
39 Posts
baseballmom94 said:
We have not test-driven an Acadia yet but we did sit in one recently. My husband sat in the second row captains chair and did not think it would be comfortable for a long car trip. We're planning to take our kids (ages 10 and 13) for a test drive to see what they think. We've never had 2nd row captains chairs and we currently have a Sequoia with a bench seat -- my husband feels like we'd be downgrading in terms of space by getting the Acadia but paying more than we did for the Sequoia.

Any input on the comfort level of the second row captains chairs on a long car trip? ???
Just got back from Nova Scotia(4000+ km) - My wife and daughter took the second row captains seats(father-in-law rode shotgun!). They both raved about comfort and room in the seats! They read, saw the sights and slept in "total comfort"(their words). Go for them!!

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I personally don't think the 2nd row captains chairs recline back far enough to actually get comfortable enough to fall asleep in. That's really the only complaint I received about them... is that they don't recline enough. I've had someone 6'7" sit back there and not fuss about the size or comfort of the seat.

I love the captains chairs. It makes it seem roomier in the back. When I looked at the Acadia with the bench seat, it just seemed too "bus" like for me. If I ever have need to haul around 7 passengers, I'll just toss one in the way back. haha

·
Registered
92 Posts
Having had a Sequoia before my Acadia I can tell you that you will enjoy this vehicle so much more. Having to remove those third row seats any time I wanted more space was one giant pain in the rear that I do not miss. I cannot say for sure if the second row captains chairs are more comfortable then the bench on the Toyota, but I would bet that they are at least just as comfortable and I personally find the drivers seat to be more comfortable in the Acadia. Your gas milage will be so much better, the ride is better, the center console storage is better, I just think that you would really enjoy this vehicle so much more then the Sequoia.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for everyone's input. We'll just have to go drive the car and find out first-hand.

Don, coming from a Sequoia, what is your opinion on the difference in driving a shorter crossover versus a Sequoia which gives you that feeling of sitting up high and the great view of the road? I really love our Sequoia and am afraid we'll regret downsizing (except the gas mileage part!)

Also, do you really feel that you have just as much space in the Acadia? My initial feeling was that it was a more closed-in type of feeling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I Test drove an acadia SLT-1 with the captains chairs yesterday, and my 15 yearold thought the seats were acceptable, but probabl not great for a long ride, I also drove an Enclave CX FWD (base) with the Center bench and my son found those seats even worse, he said there wasn't enough padding, the drivers seat and front passengers seat were both great, i'm thinking that they had to decrease some padding in the middle row to allow the slide action to work out.

·
Registered
284 Posts
AcadiaMom08 said:
I Test drove an acadia SLT-1 with the captains chairs yesterday, and my 15 yearold thought the seats were acceptable, but probabl not great for a long ride, I also drove an Enclave CX FWD (base) with the Center bench and my son found those seats even worse, he said there wasn't enough padding, the drivers seat and front passengers seat were both great, i'm thinking that they had to decrease some padding in the middle row to allow the slide action to work out.
Coming from a Suburban, all of the Lambda seats feel thinner & smaller (because they are), especially in the back. They're still all comfortable, but the 2nd row can seem odd to a lot of people, especially those coming from bigger utes.

Dimensionally, there's a lot of space, but with the cushion lower and also the backrest angle, none of the center seats felt as "natural" as our Suburban. BUT, one thing that did make a difference, since we were shopping cloth models, was the hugely different Enclave seating material (soft & plush, like the Suburban's) and also, seemingly, a touch extra padding. It was enough of a difference, versus the Acadia & Outlook, that I didn't question regretting the change anymore, as far as the back seats.

·
Registered
389 Posts
We are flip flopping right now (Acadia or Odyssey) and in all honesty, the second row captains in the Acadia are not as comfortable as many out there. Not as plush, and the thigh support isn't terrific - doesn't support the legs close enough to the knees. But, my kids are little and will be for some time. And we will be using car seats there most of the time so it is a non-issue for us. Depends on how you will use the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts