GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been on here for awhile! I am the current owner of a 2007 Acadia that has been good to me, but it's time for an upgrade! My question is, how is the reliability of the second generation (2017 and newer) Acadia? What common problems or known issues are owners having? Trying to figure out if I want a new Acadia, or move up to full size? TIA

·
Registered
48 Posts
There's a recall on '16 or '17 models, can't remember if it's the last run of 1st Gen or first run of 2nd gen, where the back seats aren't welded down and can detach into ejection seats in an accident...

And our 2021 has thrown an engine code for emissions system EVAP...? at 3,600kms

·
Registered
322 Posts
We had a 17 and now a 21.

The most common issue on the early 2nd gen is the shifter having a resistance issue that causes the vehicle to not want to go in park and tell the body control module.

The front sunroof some had latch breakage issues but easy to fix. They now have a stronger latch catch.

there have been some smaller and lesser issues.

The 17 models are known for electrical issues. This is why we traded ours off. It started having short but annoying electrical issues and the second shifter issue. The odd electrical issues We’re with the radio, steering wheel controls and the horn would blow once in a while on its own. None were lasting and only temp issues but we moved on as if it got worse it many have been a issue.

The 21 has been flaw free. No issues. The shifter is now push buttons since 2020 so no more issues there. Also the added options like HUD and a few others are nice.

I would recommend 20 and later and avoid 17 the first year.

Oh we did get a purge code but it was a connector in the left rear quarter that leaked and corroded. Just an odd thing.

We have no regrets.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The newer Acadia is significantly smaller than the first generation Lambda platform. Something to keep in mind if you're thinking about going full-size.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Haven't been on here for awhile! I am the current owner of a 2007 Acadia that has been good to me, but it's time for an upgrade! My question is, how is the reliability of the second generation (2017 and newer) Acadia? What common problems or known issues are owners having? Trying to figure out if I want a new Acadia, or move up to full size? TIA
Had a '17 and now have a '20. The only issue I had with the '17 was the "Shift to Park" issue with the shifter which was quite annoying. It was repaired with the harness change, but since it was toward the end of my lease, I don't know if this fix lasted long term. I like the '20 better with the push button shift as it frees up more space on the console. The '20 handles better, also.

Reactions: Ivar

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Had a '17 and now have a '20. The only issue I had with the '17 was the "Shift to Park" issue with the shifter which was quite annoying. It was repaired with the harness change, but since it was toward the end of my lease, I don't know if this fix lasted long term. I like the '20 better with the push button shift as it frees up more space on the console. The '20 handles better, also.
Good to know. Leasing is always a good option especially with a new platform, drive train, and even just transmission.
The "Shift To Park" issue was a ridiculously simple fix that IMO, GM did not fully address. It was just a simple micro switch used in the same fashion that many other car makers had in a similar shift mechanism also used.
Some of those had the same issue like some Ford models. If each case, it really was rather the design in it's internal placement that over stressed the switch internal snap action.
The travel of the shift handle spring operated plunger essentially caused over travel damaging the switch. . . IOW. .. the shifter pressed or smashed into the micro switch lever excessively.

A simple offset bend in the switch lever resolves this.

I also have read of several issues with the 9 speed transmission. Such is technology in a lot of things these days.
GM Initiates Pilot Program To Replace 9T65 9-Speed Transmission

In fact, Ford decided not to use the 9 speed that was jointly developed with GM.
https://fordauthority.com/2018/04/fords-new-8-speed-transmission-is-gms-9-speed-minus-a-gear/

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are also common issues with the torque converter on the ‘17 that I’m dealing with now. Causes vehicle to flutter while accelerating.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Acadia Denali - Satin Steel Metallic
4 Posts
I have a 2021 Acadia Denali that I have owned to 3 months and I am trading it in. The overall quality is not good both mechanically and cosmetically. The 9 speed transmission vibrates constantly. When the car had 500 miles on it I got a "service all wheel drive" message that the dealer said was no issue. The most aggravating is the hands free feature just activates itself and starts talking to you. I had a Volvo XC90 and that is what I am going back to. Much more solid and reliable vehicle with not a huge price difference if you don't go crazy with unnecessary options.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2013 Acadia and the only problem I've had is that I had to have the hatch struts replaced. other than that---I've had no problems. However my vehicle only has 25,000 miles on her and all the dealers are blowing up my phone and email. Think she'll be my last vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 Acadia Denali, Ultimate Package, Technology Package, Towing Package, White Frist Tricoat
16 Posts
I took delivery of a 2020 Acadia Denali in September of last year. I have just over 9600 miles on it and enjoy it very much. Looks, drives and performs great. The only problem I've had was with the sunroof randomly only opening halfway (from day one), but dealer replaced the entire sunroof assemby uner warranty and its been working fine since. I'm very happy I bought this car!

·
Registered
48 Posts
we now have 5,200kms and engine light is on for 3rd time. The two lights before were "emissions evap" codes, which i don't even know what that is. #3 hasnt gotten checked yet, dealership was too busy to clear it.

The "chrome" trim collects road salt behind it and cant be cleaned out properly, and both tail lights have a tiny bit of moisture inside of them. Also felt like the van was shifting side to side going down the highway. We pulled over and retorqued lug nuts, but none were loose and shifting feeling persisted.

·
Registered
2020 Acadia Denali, Ultimate Package, Technology Package, Towing Package, White Frist Tricoat
16 Posts
we now have 5,200kms and engine light is on for 3rd time. The two lights before were "emissions evap" codes, which i don't even know what that is. #3 hasnt gotten checked yet, dealership was too busy to clear it.

The "chrome" trim collects road salt behind it and cant be cleaned out properly, and both tail lights have a tiny bit of moisture inside of them. Also felt like the van was shifting side to side going down the highway. We pulled over and retorqued lug nuts, but none were loose and shifting feeling persisted.
Wow, I'm glad I didn't wait a couple of weeks for the 2021 Acadias to arrive at the dealer!

·
Registered
16 Posts
could be all minor things...time will tell.

And i dont believe that there are anything but cosmetic changes between 2020 & 2022. Also, my trim is the AT4, dunno if that matters
You're right, very minor and inconsequential differences between 2020 and 2022. Just the luck fo the draw I guess. Hope you can resolve the issues and enjoy a troublefree future with your Acadia!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I have to wonder if some of these issues might be due to microprocessor chips being omitted in certain electronics modules as a way to still sell vehicles and get them out of the door.

And it's not just GM, but Ford, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts