GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the nice weather on saturday I decided to wash and detail the Acadia. I noticed some scratches on the headlights, which I am assuming is from an ice scraper. Does anyone know of a good way to get rid of these? I am a little leary of typical plastic scratch remover without having heard from someone who has used it on the clear headlight covers. I don't want to make them hazy.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
skibum69, my Acadia isn't even 6 months old, so I haven't had any issues with my headlight covers yet, but you might look into a product called Plexus. From what I understand, it's used by the Air Force and NASA to maintain their plane canopies. When I tried to get some I couldn't find any in supermarkets or even auto supply stores, but it may be available at motorcycle outlets -- I think some bikers use it. Maybe somebody else here has tried it, and you could always do a Google search to read about it. Let us know what you think of it.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
skibum69 said:
With the nice weather on saturday I decided to wash and detail the Acadia. I noticed some scratches on the headlights, which I am assuming is from an ice scraper. Does anyone know of a good way to get rid of these? I am a little leary of typical plastic scratch remover without having heard from someone who has used it on the clear headlight covers. I don't want to make them hazy.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: you used an ice scraper on the headlights? NOOOOOO!

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
09Enclave said:
skibum69 said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: you used an ice scraper on the headlights? NOOOOOO!
Just so skibum doesn't feel bad about this... I have been known to use an ice scraper on my headlights occasionally too. *hangs head in shame*

·
Registered
428 Posts
look into a product called novus plastic polish. There is a cleaner, a scratch remover and a polish. This was the only product I would use on my harley. It works great on all plastic and can be used on paint and chrome as well. It will not scratch and as long as your scratches arent too deep will remove them and not do any damage to your lenses. Google it.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I have and use Meguiar's PLAST X. It has worked well so far on three cars.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
BOBBO said:
skibum69, my Acadia isn't even 6 months old, so I haven't had any issues with my headlight covers yet, but you might look into a product called Plexus. From what I understand, it's used by the Air Force and NASA to maintain their plane canopies. When I tried to get some I couldn't find any in supermarkets or even auto supply stores, but it may be available at motorcycle outlets -- I think some bikers use it. Maybe somebody else here has tried it, and you could always do a Google search to read about it. Let us know what you think of it.
Plexus website sells the smallest bottles in a 12 case unless you call them directly; I think they are selling mainly to stores.

dfrank78 said:
look into a product called novus plastic polish. There is a cleaner, a scratch remover and a polish. This was the only product I would use on my harley. It works great on all plastic and can be used on paint and chrome as well. It will not scratch and as long as your scratches arent too deep will remove them and not do any damage to your lenses. Google it.
Novus looks promising; I'm guessing most of these plastic products work about the same

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input, I do have a little scratch on my harley windshield that is down low where you wouldn't look through, so I'll give some of the products a try on that first. As far as using an ice scraper, I don't know of anyother way to get 1/4" ice off them. We have had a lot of days where they get coated with ice, and the cops here tend to pull a lot of people over for having their headlights covered.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Next year...put some rain-ex on them...snow and ice slide right off (at least they did with my grand am)

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
skibum69 said:
Thanks for the input, I do have a little scratch on my  harley windshield that is down low where you wouldn't look through, so I'll give some of the products a try on that first.  As far as using an ice scraper, I don't know of anyother way to get 1/4" ice off them.  We have had a lot of days where they get coated with ice, and the cops here tend to pull a lot of people over for having their headlights covered.
Don't know if this would work, but what I would try, instead of the dredded ice scraper  :eek:hno: on the headlights, try to start the vehicle and let it run for a while, and put the headlights on, that...hopefully...would melt the ice.  Ice scrapers will scratch anything other than glass. 

Oh yeah...and ask the cop, if you get pulled over for not scraping the lights if he/she wants to buy you new headlight assemblies....they are VERY expensive to replace...they should not ticket for something like that, that's a little overboard in my opinion.

·
Registered
428 Posts
how about using the spry de-icer on the headlights. I have seen it in auto parts stores in cans.????

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
jsimms said:
Plexus website sells the smallest bottles in a 12 case unless you call them directly; I think they are selling mainly to stores.

On-line searching shows amazon.com and jcwhitney and autogeek selling Plexus, among others, and I see that it's often sold at RV centers.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Shortly after I purchased my Acadia, I had a plastic film put on the entire front end of the vehicle - including the headlamps. The 3M film is nearly invisible and protects against rocks, insects, UV damage, and I can scrape the ice from the headlamps without risk of damage! 8)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts