GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am experiencing my first real crisis since owning my Acadia. Yesterday, I noticed a scratch next to the door handle that is about two inches in length. It looks like it may have been caused by one of the gemstones in my wife's ring (the ring has garnet stones and the scratch is a red line) but that's about as far as I want to go on THAT topic :banghead:

Anyway, my eyes aren't what they used to be and she insists that it looks to her like a surface anomoly that is actually above the paint surface and can be fixed easily with some compound. But it looks deeper and more serious to me. I should add.......I am NOT an expert where paint and body repair are concerned, but I want to get this resolved. To me, the darn thing stands out as obvious as someone walking down the street with a third eye in their forehead. :eek:

I want the scratch out but fear doing more damage than good in trying to make it right. Any suggestions on what products/approach would be best to get the scratch out without doing any harm to the surrounding paint? :help:

PS Before I'm asked, I don't have pics to post. I know it seems :lame: but my cell phone only makes and takes telephone calls. That's all I've ever really needed it to do.

·
Registered
681 Posts
A lot depends on how deep the scratch is, did it penetrate the clear coat finish? If it is a light scratch you can use a product like Meguires Scratch X or a Fine Cut Rubbing Compound (3M) - using a light motion apply the product, going over the scratch, buffing lightly, you may have to do a few times to dull the edges of the scratch - once that is done you will need to apply a polish to fill the scratch that apply a coat of wax to seal it. If it is a really deep scratch the technique above will just dull the scratch but not remove it, you might want to think about getting it fixed professionally, most body shops could use a polisher like Porter Cable to remove, if you do not know what you are doing with these you can cause more harm. It would be hard to harm you vehicle trying to polish out by hand.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
johnway said:
It would be hard to harm you vehicle trying to polish out by hand.
I think this is what I really needed to know before moving forward. Thanks, johnway :sunny:

·
Registered
681 Posts
rudykizuty said:
johnway said:
I think this is what I really needed to know before moving forward. Thanks, johnway :sunny:
Remember to use gentle force, not brute force while buffing and you should be safe.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
johnway said:
rudykizuty said:
johnway said:
Remember to use gentle force, not brute force while buffing and you should be safe.
Understood. Thanks again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Garnet or any other gemstone would not leave a red line. Either the red is undercoat or a foreign substance that will remove with fine polish/wax. I have removed many small "scratches" over the years with just a fine quality polish/wax and a little elbow grease. My wife has many scraches by her door handle on her Buick caused by her diamond ring...she says that she is proud of them!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just had to go outside and give it another inspection. In some respects, it looks and feels like it could be a foreign substance left behind by something that rubbed over the surface. But in some ways, it looks and feels like an abrasion into the paint surface.

Even if it's the latter (full blown scratch), it does not seem deep enough that it could be primer showing. I cannot imagine that between two color coats and a clear coat that the resulting layer between the surface and primer could be as thin as this would appear to be.

Maybe it's a combination with the foreign substance embedded into whatever surface scratch it created. ???

At any rate, I feel more comfortable about approaching this with the advice you guys have offered. I realize that I just need to remain calm, have a little patience and treat it gently with a little TLC and it will probably come out okay. Thanks for the help and will let you know how it turns out.

PS funny about your wife and the Buick. That's classic. :D I'm rather suspect since it was I who bought my wife the garnet ring!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was going to
rudykizuty said:
PS funny about your wife and the Buick. That's classic. :D I'm rather suspect since it was I who bought my wife the garnet ring!!
I was going to suggest buying your wife a stone that matches your Acadia...that is, until I noticed you have the Carbon Metallic. She may not appreciate the gesture.

;)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
charge said:
I was going to
rudykizuty said:
I was going to suggest buying your wife a stone that matches your Acadia...that is, until I noticed you have the Carbon Metallic. She may not appreciate the gesture.

;)
LOL. Yeah, a lump of coal will pretty much seal my fate. :beatdown:

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Old thread

1 - 11 of 11 Posts