GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I laid out $140 for the Scosche Ipod interface for my 2009 SLT2 with factory Nav/XM (no DVD) radio. I had read Jake_99's thread about installing the AXIPGMLAN by Scoshe and figured this would be an easy plug and play install.

I figured wrong.

Issue #1
The first issue was locating the XM radio. On the Scosche video in another model, it was behind the glovebox. On Jake's thread, it was in the left rear compartment where the jack is located. It is in the same place for 2009.

Issue #2 (killer)
The XM radio has been located due to a stroke of no doubt PHd genius to a just about inaccessible location behind the jack:


I have circled the plug that needs to be removed to interface with the Scosche unit.

I pulled the jack for more room. Unless you can miniaturize yourself ala Stephen Boyd/Racquel Welch et al did for micro-surgery in Fantastic Voyage, you don't stand a chance at getting this plug out. I tried fingers and then a small pair of 90 degree needle nose pliers. There is not enough room in the pocket where this crap is located to maneuver them. I also used a "special" socket to loosen the bolt holding this section in place, but of course there are several other hidden bolts that won't let it move.

I can only hope the genius that laid this stuff out is someday forced to listen to 30 days of Wayne Newton commercial free on XM or a similar term in the electric chair, whichever is more painful.

UPDATE
There is a blue safety retention plug in the XM plug (keeps it from becoming unplugged ;)) . You have to use the tiny 90 degree pliers to squeeze the front & back (oriented as it is in the vehicle) of it to pull it out, then you can unplug it as normal.

The rest went as per Jake's thread. I have not installed the cable to the front yet due to compatibility issues.

What a pain.

UPDATE #2
I got it installed, but it does not operate as the instructions indicate. The best I can do is manual control of the Ipod, and use the seek buttons to go forward/backward. The Ipod selection screen does not show up on my 2009 Nav radio. I get the Scosche v. 5.40 screen, but after that it is all XM, nothing Ipod at all. I'll have to email Scosche & see what has changed or if I'm doing something wrong.

Thread/post updated 9-19-08.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
Sounds like fun so is the cord from the scoche long enough to reach back up to the front of the truck hidden out of the way?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't want to waste time with running the cord if it isn't going to work. I'm testing it in place at the rear of the vehicle. If I can get past the control issues, I will run the cable forward.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
I didn't want to waste time with running the cord if it isn't going to work. I'm testing it in place at the rear of the vehicle. If I can get past the control issues, I will run the cable forward.
Let me know how it works I think for the time being I will stick with teh AUX in jack on teh front of the stereo till the bugs get worked out of the 09 system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,164 Posts
The XM module appears to be in exactly the same location on your '09 as it was on my early build '08, and I had every bit as much fun as you did getting the blue retaining clip down (I ended up using a tiny screwdriver to pull it down).

As I recall, my Scosche unit didn't work at first either - I think there are instructions in the instructions about resetting it if it doesn't work. I think it asks you to disconnect and reconnect. I'll be honest - I can't remember exactly what I did but eventually it recognized the iPod and started letting me control it from the nav screen. May want to play around with it some more before giving up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,164 Posts
DSNY FN said:
Sounds like fun so is the cord from the scoche long enough to reach back up to the front of the truck hidden out of the way?
It's long enough to reach the center console, which is where I ran mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
loach said:
DSNY FN said:
Sounds like fun so is the cord from the scoche long enough to reach back up to the front of the truck hidden out of the way?
It's long enough to reach the center console, which is where I ran mine.
Thanks for the heads up as I am looking at getting the dealership to install one that I picked up yesterday. I am just using the standard radio with XM.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Loach- I will try unplugging the unit & plugging it back in. Maybe it is made by Microsoft- that usually does the trick for Windows. :D

UPDATE
Mixed success- I now have half the screen I'm supposed to- I have playlist, artist, etc. on the left side of the screen after pressing the Scosche button once the Ipod is connected, but all the categories on the right side of the screen are XM. The artist info is also showing up consistently.

My Ipod is a gen 5.5 80GB, and was setup with an older version of iTunes (I think 7.3 or so). Maybe this is the issue, I'll update that as well & see if it makes a difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
Thanks Loach- I will try unplugging the unit & plugging it back in. Maybe it is made by Microsoft- that usually does the trick for Windows. :D

UPDATE
Mixed success- I now have half the screen I'm supposed to- I have playlist, artist, etc. on the left side of the screen after pressing the Scosche button once the Ipod is connected, but all the categories on the right side of the screen are XM. The artist info is also showing up consistently.

My Ipod is a gen 5.5 80GB, and was setup with an older version of iTunes (I think 7.3 or so). Maybe this is the issue, I'll update that as well & see if it makes a difference.
Good luck Blue let us know how it goes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
The frustration experienced is less to do the the Scosche unit and more to do with the vehicle design (XM tuner location)...My "learning" actually occurred with the IPOD Lockpick. Once my initial installation "education" was complete, putting in the Scosche unit was a breeze.

Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
Issue #1
The first issue was locating the XM radio. On the Scosche video in another model, it was behind the glovebox. On Jake's thread, it was at the bottom of the jack opening, both easily accessible. I found a box with similar looking plugs in the same compartment as Jake identified, but in another part of the compartment.
Where you found the XM tuner in the 2009 is same location as in the 2008. It's not at the bottom of the jack compartment, but behind the OnStar box. I don't believe my thread mentioned it at the bottom of the compartment, only that my wiring goes to the bottom of the compartment.

Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
Issue #2 (killer)
The XM radio has been moved due to a stroke of no doubt PHd genius to a just about inaccessible location behind the jack:
GM had to make it entertaining...I was ready to rip the tuner out to just get a simple plug out...I ended up breaking the blue secure tab. Once broken, it became obvious I was using blunt force vs "surgical approach". But it came out none the less.

Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
I pulled the jack for more room. Unless you can miniaturize yourself ala Stephen Boyd/Racquel Welch et al did for micro-surgery in Fantastic Voyage, you don't stand a chance at getting this plug out. I tried fingers and then a small pair of 90 degree needle nose pliers. There is not enough room in the pocket where this crap is located to maneuver them. I also used a "special" socket to loosen the bolt holding this section in place, but of course there are several other hidden bolts that won't let it move.
Did you attempt to push in the false rubber/plastic backing immediately below the XM tuner? Initially, I was afraid I was going to break the plastic backing but it gave way rather easily and "bouned back" after getting the plug in. The area I am referrencing is immediately below the XM tuner.

Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
UPDATE
There is a blue safety retention plug in the XM plug (keeps it from becoming unplugged ;)) . You have to use the tiny 90 degree pliers to squeeze the front & back (oriented as it is in the vehicle) of it to pull it out, then you can unplug it as normal.
Or you can rip it out like I did...I recommend a more asthetic method...


Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
What a pain.
Concur. But completed once, install/uninstall gets easier after that.

Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
UPDATE #2
I got it installed, but it does not operate as the instructions indicate. The best I can do is manual control of the Ipod, and use the seek buttons to go forward/backward. The Ipod selection screen does not show up on my 2009 Nav radio. I get the Scosche v. 5.40 screen, but after that it is all XM, nothing Ipod at all. I'll have to email Scosche & see what has changed or if I'm doing something wrong.
This is not a 2009 thang. Your Scosche software version is same as mine. I have both Gen5 & Gen6 IPODs. Manual control comes up usually for me on initial startup. You have to use menu selections from the NAV to select specific Playlists to play. They provide a selection that is the IPOD's "name" (I usually name my IPODs based on HD size). If you select that, I believe it has the ability to select all songs on IPOD. After selecting a "playlist", the Nav should start to display song name similar to XM display of their songs. Works great with a HUD too. But be patient for the Scosche to fully "load". It takes something like 60-90 seconds. Be patient...my IPOD plays through the stereo while the loading is taking place.

I recommend:
1) Plugging in Scosche unit.
2) Power on vehicle (I don't believe there is an issue with flipping steps 1 & 2)
3) Plug in IPOD

When I do that, the Scosche unit kicks in right away and start to play IPOD over NAV.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Jake.

I thought what I saw was an XM box (my error, it was the camera box) that is not on mine in the lower compartment, irrelevant at this point- it was here linked from your Enclave thread:
http://www.enclaveforum.net/gallery...2_GALLERYSID=e0b49b57ea729045bf84091e38e26982


I've tried redoing about everything:
1) Scosche plugged in, green light on unit flashing, plug in Ipod (it turns on), key to acc, turn on radio, select XM. Have to hold <seek for 2+ seconds while on XM screen, then get screen with:
Scosche iPod
Scosche v5.40 button
Scosche
Scosche

(first one & lower 2 are usually song/artist info)

EDIT-
Looks ike this:



Push the v5.40 button & get usual XM screen, no effect pushing any buttons except "back", goes to prior screen. No way to get back to XM.

2) Radio off, key out of ignition, Ipod off, unplug Scosche @ molex connector (per their instructions) for 30 seconds, plug molex back in, Ipod turns on, green light starts flashing, key all the way to on, radio on, switch to XM, Ipod picks up playing where it left off.
Same screen as above, except when v5.40 is pushed, get Scosche Ipod screen on left (playlist, genre, etc. but no Scosche button) and XM stations on right side.
Looks like this:


No song/artist info. No effect pushing any buttons except "back", goes to prior screen. No way to get back to XM.

3) Your advice-
I recommend:
a) Plugging in Scosche unit.
b) Power on vehicle (I don't believe there is an issue with flipping steps 1 & 2)
c) Plug in IPOD

Did this and got:
Same as #1 above except Ipod started playing right away w/o having to hold <seek button on XM. No song/artist info. No way to get back to XM.

On all of these, I can manually advance one song at a time with either the steering wheel > button or rewind/advance via the <> seek buttons on the unit.

The green light seems to be hit or miss. When I opened the back to try the above, it was on. It went out before I did anything at all, and then flashed as noted above. All connectors are tight, and I didn't damage any existing wiring in pulling the XM harness.

Seeing as how there has been no response from Scosche tech support via email a couple of days ago, I'll have to call them tomorrow and see if this can be fixed. If not, it's going back for a refund & I'll either have to do without or try the lockpick version and hope for better results.

My radio is a Nav w/o DVD if this makes any difference (don't see why it would).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I called Scosche Tech Support today (800-621-3695 ext. 3) and was told the 2009 Acadia model was not recommended yet (the 2008 was). It would be about 2 months until they had tested with this model, and my unit should be upgradeable.

I'm holding off on the lockpick for this same reason.

We'll have to "make do" w/ XM and CDs for the time being.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
I called Scosche Tech Support today (800-621-3695 ext. 3) and was told the 2009 Acadia model was not recommended yet (the 2008 was). It would be about 2 months until they had tested with this model, and my unit should be upgradeable.

I'm holding off on the lockpick for this same reason.

We'll have to "make do" w/ XM and CDs for the time being.
I haven't had the chance to try, but is the AUX in THAT bad that you can't use that (for now). Clearly the integration is good (direct audio+play lists on the screen), but am I missing something?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't have a cable to plug in the Ipod to the AUX jack on the radio. I want to control the Ipod through the radio. The AXIPGMLAN uses the XM radio to interface with the lower charging/data port on the Ipod. It is a great concept, the only problem is that something apparently changed in the radio for 2009.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
Either:

1) XM Unit is different between 2009/2008
2) NAV HW unit is different between 2009/2008
3) 2009 NAV firmware

Not probable on 1 or 2 but there is new data going across the XM/NAV interface (XMTraffic Update). Unlikely to affect how XM menu options work though.

A firmware update to NAV menu capability could possibly be culprit. No one to date has mentioned any NAV menu differences though...but one would have to have intiment knowledge of 2008 (aka lease or vehicle owner) to probably notice. I doubt GM would have expended money on an XM menu update though. Very little complaints on this site wrt menus (outside of the lock "feature").

I'm assuming your IPOD is plugged in in order for you to receive the screen(s) above. I don't believe I've tried to get to the AXIP with no IPOD connected. I do receive a funny when the IPOD itself decides not to turn on (like it's stuck on OFF). I just have to disconnect the IPOD, do the soft reset thang, IPOD comes to life, replug IPOD into AXIP. This has happenned a couple of times with the 6Gen. I haven't experienced it with the 5Gen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
I don't have a cable to plug in the Ipod to the AUX jack on the radio. I want to control the Ipod through the radio. The AXIPGMLAN uses the XM radio to interface with the lower charging/data port on the Ipod. It is a great concept, the only problem is that something apparently changed in the radio for 2009.
here you go...

... and if you need a car charger for it:

try this one...

:)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dmurphy said:
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
I don't have a cable to plug in the Ipod to the AUX jack on the radio. I want to control the Ipod through the radio. The AXIPGMLAN uses the XM radio to interface with the lower charging/data port on the Ipod. It is a great concept, the only problem is that something apparently changed in the radio for 2009.
here you go...

... and if you need a car charger for it:

try this one...

:)
Price break @ 50 units. Looks like group buy material!

Thanks.

Thanks Jake, that was helpful- I can see what I'm not getting so I can reference this with Scosche when the time comes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
dmurphy said:
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
I don't have a cable to plug in the Ipod to the AUX jack on the radio. I want to control the Ipod through the radio. The AXIPGMLAN uses the XM radio to interface with the lower charging/data port on the Ipod. It is a great concept, the only problem is that something apparently changed in the radio for 2009.
here you go...

... and if you need a car charger for it:

try this one...

:)
Price break @ 50 units. Looks like group buy material!

Thanks.

Thanks Jake, that was helpful- I can see what I'm not getting so I can reference this with Scosche when the time comes.
We bought this unit for in our van and it works great for charging and it came with the mini headphone jack connection.

http://www.dlo.com/products/TDclassic_IT_Prod.tpl?command=showpage&cart=1221954956113782

It is this item minus the FM transmitter.

With the issues I have seen now from your scoche stuff I may actually get this instead as my Uncle is a Harmon Kardon dealer.

http://harmon-kardon.com/drive-2/default.aspx?Language=ENG&Region=USA&Country=CA&market=CAR
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Those are handy, but I want to control the Ipod from the radio. I did find a stereo male to male cord in a box of stuff today, so I can try the AUX input with this.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top