GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I had temporarily installed the IPOD Lockpick (CoastalETech http://www.coastaletech.com/GM_IPOD_LOCKPICK.htm), I wrote about some improvements that could be had with the device software http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1927.20. Another forum member mentioned the Schosche device and I bit to see if it was worth trying.

First Price:
IPOD Lockpick (Coastal ETech): $129 stand alone (discount if purchased with GMX-320)
AXIPGMLAN (Schosche): $199

Hardware:
Main Unit:
IPOD Lockpick is contained in same sized unit as their GMX-320. (3.5 x 3.0 inches). Unit comes with AUX inputs.
AXIPGMLAN is about 2/3 - 1/2 the size of the IPOD Lockpick (already installed in vehicle- too lazy to measure for actuals). Unit comes with Aux inputs as well as an green LED providing power status.

Cables:
IPOD Lockpick comes with a wire harness that support XM connection. Cable harness wires are grouped via electrical tape (depending if one cared about a wiring harness, the tape job seemed a bit b-league).
IPOD Lockpick IPOD cable has a two line 11ft cable. Cable length is sufficient to reach center console - but not dash. IPOD Cable is 10pin din-to-30pin IPOD connector.

AXIPGMLAN provides two sets of wire harnesses for XM/Non-XM radios (but IPOD unit requires GMLAN). Wires are contained within rubber housing.
AXIPGMLAN IPOD cable is a one line ~20ft cable (estimated length since it's installed in vehicle). IPOD cable is S-Video din-to-30pin IPOD connector.

FYI, ProClips provides clipunits that will support either the Lockpick of AXIPGMLAN style IPOD 30-pin connectors (but they are different units).

Why I chose the Schosche unit over IPOD Lockpick:

1) Size of main unit
2) IPOD cable length/style (single line cable - easier for me to route along molding).
3) Menu options in Schosche unit more complete/use-able.

Menus use-ability was the real seller. In the link above, I critiqued the Lockpick on issues that could be better.

1) Main menu on Schosche unit actually functions just like XM menu. IPOD lockpick software doesn't allow two tier choice selection from main menu. For the lockpick, you can only choose category (playlists, albums, genre,) and then exit main menu, using right turn nob to down select. Schosche unit actually provides 2nd tier selection just like XM menus.

2)Schosche unit provide manual control of IPOD. Lockpick doesn't have this feature. Once IPOD is attached to Lockpick's IPOD cable, the lockpick controls the IPOD - restricting the IPOD to audio use only. I believe (not yet attempted) the Schosche unit will allow me to use the IPOD cable for power but use the IPOD for video play with Aux video in.

EDIT: Probably my lack of understanding the DVD system but when plugged into rear aux, the IPOD "audio" of the video is played but I can't get the video. I think it's got something to do with my remote. Tried using it but no joy. Might be a battery issue. What isn't an issue is that fact that the use of the IPOD for video can happen while connected to the AXIPGMLAN device. This isn't possible with the Lockpick.

EDIT: Everytime you switch back to XM, or OFF XM (like DVD), the AXIPGMLAN seems to allow the IPOD to function in manual - allowing IPOD owner to mess with the device while connected to power.

EDIT: Found out that Apple pulled a fast one with the IPOD Classic. It no longer allows video to be transmitted via the upper jack. You have to own their proprietary video cable that attaches to the bottom of the unit - which negates the benefit of having it attached to constant power (you can't "set it and forget it...."). I still own a 5G (IPOD Video 60GB) which works fine. Sounds like no one is happy with this Apple move on the IPOD. Anyway, videos look great using my 60GB IPOD Video - while it is attached to the Schosche power/audio connector.

3) Schosche unit provides better text "displayment" on Nav screen. Nav screen displays Song title, Album, artist, and song time expired. Lockpick had repetetive song name shown, displayed song name on menu button, and had an incrementing text "iPOD xx" which incremented on song count since IPOD hookup (this mimics the XM channel which also increments with each song played).
NEGATIVE: HUD display shows song name and song time expired. I would have prefered artist.
NEUTRAL: Because song time expired is shown, and continues to be updated, the song name stays on the HUD vs disappearing after two seconds of the beginning of the song. NAV directional arrows on HUD are now somewhat cut short but upon proximity/distance countdown, the directional arrow & data override the song name. I would have been a bit troubled if the song name overrode all optional HUD text.

4) Wheel radio controls - NEUTRAL/Negative: Schosche unit does not fully utilize the wheel radio controls. The one function that the Schosche unit utilizes is the IPOD detected connection change. The IPOD pauses when XM is reselected. Reselecting IPOD doesn't cause music to auto begin. Using the >| button on the wheel unpauses the IPOD. Pushing it a second time however (pushing the >| button), doesn't re-pause the song. The "^" & "v" have some type of function, but I can't figure out what it is yet. So far, I've noted that it changes the song - the first time - but it then seems to also get one off of the selected playlist... Pushing ^ would always connect to one particular song, pushing v would be another. Hitting the button a second time would only bring you back to the beginning of the respective song. Volume control buttons (including mute) still function nominally. The radio controls have a slight advantage over the IPOD lockpick (which only utilized the audio controls) - but definitely not a decision factor.

EDIT: >| button seems to switch songs if held down. Not sure if it's within playlist or not.

Is the Schosche unit work ~2x cost? Some might not thing so. Since I plan on driving the Acadia for many years, the cost difference, in the long run, is negligible.

EDIT: Sound quality improved!! I was a bit surprised by this. I would receive static on certain songs on my IPOD when using the Lockpick. This static was emulated at home on my sound system. It's GONE on the AXIPGMLAN!! Subjective, but the sound quality does seem a bit richer - but that could be post-purchase bias. What has definitely improved is the loss of static - particularly in deep bass songs (eg No One by Alicia Keys).

EDIT:Negative - the Schosche unit is impacted by the Nav's XM lockout feature. While driving I can only second tier select the top 5 items (be it playlists, artists, genres, etc). I'm hoping that, upon GMX-320 install, the lockout will be removed as it is for the XM channels. The IPOD Lockpick already removed this restriction when utilizing the right radio turn dial.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Schosche Bluetooth device is called BFGM ("Blue Fusion"). You just have to search on their site to find it...or used to...or maybe I just saw it on the online oem brochure...

The following link goes to the brochure that describes it.

http://www.scosche.com/pdf/Scosche_2008_117_144_OEintegration.pdf

Unfortunately (or fortunately) it links through the XM unit. Because of the similar interface as the AXIPGMLAN, the BFGM & AXIPGMLAN can not be utilized/installed simultaneously.

To purchase, I would email the website. They have been quick to respond to my querries. Once I found out about the device incompatabilities, I never pursued purchasing the BFGM. I bought the AXIPGMLAN from the website.

Online rumint has the BFGM coming out around Mar-April 08. Cost - $399 (OUCH!). I'd want it to be compatible with the AXIPGMLAN device for that price!!

Here's a video on the BFGM: http://video.cardomain.com/clip.aspx?key=B6C6D834853C485D

After viewing video, Schosche seems to be tauting the BFGM as an all-in-one bluetooth device for phone and music...Not a fan of the bluetooth for tunes...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Price: You be da fool (like me) if you buy the AXIPGMLAN from the Schosche website ($199). There are multiple locations that are selling the unit for $150-160.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Any update on using the Schosche IPOD Controller with the a GM Lockpick. Does it allow full functionality while driving?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes they work together.

Using the Scosche controller alone will provide similar Nav Lock "feature" as that with XM. While the car is moving, the Nav impedes scrolling beyond first main menu screen list(s).

With the AXIPGMLAN - in combination with the GMX-320 - you can inhibit this Nav "feature".

Using the 4 mute sequence, you can enable scrolling beyond initial menu screen list of options. But if you want the Nav to track, you need to "turn off" the GMX (hitting window lockout button) once you are done scrolling. The GMX "fools" the NAV into believing the car is stopped, thus the lockout feature is removed. But since the NAV thinks you are stopped, the map tracking is frozen at the point you "stopped" (ie after you use the 4 mute sequence that causes the GMX to work).

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, I started with the IPOD lockpick and wanted something a bit more developed. I settled on the Scosche device and so far am satisfied.

I may use PAC device for my Expedition though (connects to my 6-CD player input).

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Because of some concerns with integration with 2009 Acadias, I have added photos as to what I see with my 2008 Acadia:

Series of photos are with an IPOD attached to an installed AXIPGMLAN:

PHOTO 1 (0577) : Immediately after holding down <| button on NAV
PHOTO 2 (0572): After AXIPGMLAN loading is complete IPOD is in MANUAL mode (IPOD music is playing through NAV)
PHOTO 3 (0573): Selecting the menu button on the NAV screen (labelled "IPOD" in 0572) brings up this first level menu
PHOTO 4 (0575): Selecting 2nd level menu selection shows menu options which include the "Back to XM" option

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rest of photos...

PHOTO 5 (0579): Typical NAV screen when IPOD is playing music via the AXIPGMLAN - in place of XM
PHOTO 6 (0578): Typical HUD display with AXIPGMLAN text associated with song. Text remains on HUD due to timer counter continues to count up. Without the constant text update, the data would leave the HUD, just like it does with XM songs. This text is overridden by Navigation turn symbology while NAV is providing destination updates.

The XM 2 represents "songs since AXIPGMLAN activation" (aka second song in "playlist"). "Playlist" selected was JAKE 60GB - which is ALL SONGS on my 5G IPOD (not a "true" playlist in IPOD speak, but AXIP treats it as if it were). XM 1 is always the same song in a playlist. Since I have my IPOD set up for RANDOM, all songs following XM 1 are never the same.

Trivia: IPOD 5G and 6G handle songs starting with non alphabetic characters differently. On 5G non-alphabetic characters are put at the "top" (ahead of "a") while 6G puts them at the bottom (following "z"). What happens is my wife's IPOD (6G) has a different song as XM 1 than my IPOD (5G) if a playlist has songs that start with non-alphabetic characters. Trivia...subjectively interesting, but always irrelevant...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Thanks for posting those Jake. I'm not getting anything like that on the 2009. I did hear back from Scosche via email, but it was very generic, so I will wait until they test it on the 2009 model before doing anything else.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts