GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This is my first post and I will apologize now if I am posting incorrectly. Anyway, I have a 2009 Acadia purchased in November 2008. At the time of purchase I was told by the salesman to bring the car back at 3,000 miles for an oil change so the dealership can put in the Castor Synthetic Oil. After the oil change I was told the next oil change would be in 5,000 miles. Now my confusion, my OnStar monthly status report states my next oil change is at 13,102, 10,000 miles after the oil change (which I believe corresponds with the maintenance book). I am approaching the 5,000 miles and my Oil Life is 54%. My question to all the experts who is correct every 5K or every 10K?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
teshub43 said:
Hi,

This is my first post and I will apologize now if I am posting incorrectly. Anyway, I have a 2009 Acadia purchased in November 2008. At the time of purchase I was told by the salesman to bring the car back at 3,000 miles for an oil change so the dealership can put in the Castor Synthetic Oil. After the oil change I was told the next oil change would be in 5,000 miles. Now my confusion, my OnStar monthly status report states my next oil change is at 13,102, 10,000 miles after the oil change (which I believe corresponds with the maintenance book). I am approaching the 5,000 miles and my Oil Life is 54%. My question to all the experts who is correct every 5K or every 10K?

Thanks
Ignore Onstar and the DIC. Change oil every 3K or go a little longer with synthetic. Given the cost of oil changes, this is the best insurance you can buy. "Think with your dipstick" as the commercial says.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Everybody has a differing opinion on when they believe oil should be changed. Some are religious about changing it every 3K on the spot and some are not. :)

I change mine when the DIC indicates it is time for an oil change. Otherwise I'd be changing my oil every 5 weeks with the amount of miles I drive.

Do whatever you are comfortable with given your driving habits.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I agree that everyone has an opinion on what is right. But I do recommend going on the conservative side and change more often. The cost for oil changes is almost insignificant compared to the cost of the car. I agree it is great insurance.

I also agree with Web that if time is an issue that getting changes every 3K can be a burden that is not work the effort. That is why I switched to every 6K and use Mobil 1 synthetic. I have the tires rotated at this time too. Amazingly enough, that's still well before the DIC says it's time. Fortunately for me, we put just at 12K per year on each of the 3 cars so it's only 2 oil changes per year per car or 6 oil changes total. Before I switched to synthetic it was 12 times per year and that drove me nuts.

Bottom line is that you need to change it regularly. Many folks don't even do that. :(

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
GAR said:
I agree that everyone has an opinion on what is right. But I do recommend going on the conservative side and change more often. The cost for oil changes is almost insignificant compared to the cost of the car. I agree it is great insurance.

I also agree with Web that if time is an issue that getting changes every 3K can be a burden that is not work the effort. That is why I switched to every 6K and use Mobil 1 synthetic. I have the tires rotated at this time too. Amazingly enough, that's still well before the DIC says it's time. Fortunately for me, we put just at 12K per year on each of the 3 cars so it's only 2 oil changes per year per car or 6 oil changes total. Before I switched to synthetic it was 12 times per year and that drove me nuts.

Bottom line is that you need to change it regularly. Many folks don't even do that. :(
Also depends how long you intend to keep the vehicle. Personal choice of course but you are mistaken if you think engine longevity will not suffer extending out to the DIC intervals. Oil looks pretty murky even after 3K. And the filter becomes less effective as the oil gets that dirty.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I work :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Have no idea what happened to my post and I don't have time to re-type since I'm at work.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I think what we are all trying to say is 3K is fine to change the oil regardless of the OLM readings and I would go to 5K with a semi synthetic or full synthetic

·
Registered
10 Posts
Frequent oil change is not necessary but insurance.

I used to race motorcycles. I used the best synthetic oil I can afford and changed it after each race weekend (2 qualifying rounds, 1 semi-final and 1 final, and each race is 40 laps around a 2 mile long track - you do the math). The thinking is that racing is hard on the engine. And since these engines rev at about 16,000RPM, it's wearing out the oil very fast.

I didn't win any races. And the guy who wins the races uses regular Castrol GTX 20W50 oil. Not synthetic and nothing fancy. Part of the reason is that his oil is sponsored so he has no choice. And I'm not saying using Castrol made him win. But the fact is, his engine didn't blow up and he runs that engine harder than I do.

Moral of the story is, oil that meets GM specs are good enough. Otherwise, GM won't specify the oil. Just follow what the manufacturers specify and you'll be fine. Otherwise, someone would have sued GM already.

More frequent changes with better oil buys peace of mind because it's add'l insurance. It is not necessary. But it makes a lot of people feel better (including the car dealers and oil manufacturers).

So, if your wallet gives you the luxury to feel better by having more frequent changes, go for it.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
GM says the OLM is good enough. Others and I have some oil analysis results that call the OLM results suspect. I have never tested oil in any of my other vehicles, but I changed them not more than every 5K miles.

I think that until there is enough oil analysis results to guage the OLM with my engine, I am going to change more frequently. If your not going to keep the vehicle past the warranty, follow the OLM because any failure should be covered under the warranty.

My original intent of sending a sample was to go PAST the OLM and do even less frequent changes. There are plenty of people go longer intervals between changes that the manufacturer says. I just can't do that in this vehicle...yet.

Do what makes you sleep well at night.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
MedicRxDoc said:
GM says the OLM is good enough. Others and I have some oil analysis results that call the OLM results suspect. I have never tested oil in any of my other vehicles, but I changed them not more than every 5K miles.

I think that until there is enough oil analysis results to guage the OLM with my engine, I am going to change more frequently. If your not going to keep the vehicle past the warranty, follow the OLM because any failure should be covered under the warranty.

My original intent of sending a sample was to go PAST the OLM and do even less frequent changes. There are plenty of people go longer intervals between changes that the manufacturer says.[/color] I just can't do that in this vehicle...yet.

Do what makes you sleep well at night.
This seems to be a cost saving measure more than being concerned about the sample results

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
jsimms said:
This seems to be a cost saving measure more than being concerned about the sample results
Cost, time, saving some oil....maybe, but all with using the vehicle for a long time. If I wasn't concerned about the sample results I would follow the OLM without even testing the oil. UOAs are going to tell you how long you can go, more or less than the OLM. So far less, way less....

If I were worried just about cost, I could change the oil for the cost of sending out a sample for analysis. Part is also the inquisitive nature in me. Just the wanna know kind of stuff and some conversation material. Maybe even a little bit paranoid.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I did some searching on the internet couple years back to find research on engine oil life expectancy. Maybe some of you will want to do the same to find independent lab test results. One lab result using Mobil 1 FULL synthetic does NOT begin to break down until 15,000 miles. Regular conventional oil begins to break down at 6000 mi. I have been using Mobil 1 since 1974 and change every 10,000. Cars get same gas mileage with 150K+ when bought new. My last oil change a month ago at a quick change was $49.95+Tax. If I changed my oil using conventional oil at quick change every 3000mi, the cost per change is $19.95+ tax. There are topics on oil which people might want to search for to form more opinions. If you see anti-freeze in your oil, then you have a problem.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
teetertotter said:
I did some searching on the internet couple years back to find research on engine oil life expectancy. Maybe some of you will want to do the same to find independent lab test results. One lab result using Mobil 1 FULL synthetic does NOT begin to break down until 15,000 miles. Regular conventional oil begins to break down at 6000 mi. I have been using Mobil 1 since 1974 and change every 10,000. Cars get same gas mileage with 150K+ when bought new. My last oil change a month ago at a quick change was $49.95+Tax. If I changed my oil using conventional oil at quick change every 3000mi, the cost per change is $19.95+ tax. There are topics on oil which people might want to search for to form more opinions. If you see anti-freeze in your oil, then you have a problem.
Oil longevity and breakdown is one issue. What about the filter's ability to work effectively for 15k - so while the oil has not yet broken down, it's getting dirty and that can't be good for the engine long term. I'll still live by every 3K and sleep better at night.

·
Registered
487 Posts
teetertotter said:
Where in the heck are you getting a full-syn oil change for 49.00. The cheapest I can find is 75 so I just do it myself and it still costs 40.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I change the oil in my truck by the OLM which usually ends up around 6500 miles and the oil still looks OK. In the Acadia I'm not comfortable going 8-10k between oil changes so I do it every 6000 miles. I'll change the truck more often if I'm pulling heavy trailers or off road a lot.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I change oil @ 5,000 KM or after 3 months, whichever comes sooner, but its mostly every after 3 months (I'm averaging 1,000 KM per month).

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
coloradoGM said:
Where in the heck are you getting a full-syn oil change for 49.00. The cheapest I can find is 75 so I just do it myself and it still costs 40.
At our locally owned quick oil change which is NOT a national chain. I forgot to say I supply my own Mobil 1 Filter which he deducts $10.00. otherwise he charges $59.00 + tax for Mobil 1. Our local GMC dealer gets $76.25. There is a national chain place 25 miles from our home that I commute to my part-time work that changed our Acadia 2 months ago with me supplying the filter for $50.00+tax. Small town w pop of 6,000.
I have been known to dicker over price and works. I always have my own Mobil 1 filter.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
mrvids said:
So where does everyone take their used oil after they change it?
Ya know that swamp in back of my house? j/k Not only would I not pollute the earth, I don't actually change my own oil. I'm hopeful that the dealership is disposing of it properly and not in the swamp in back of their facility.

I do believe AutoZone will take used motor oil. I can't recall if there's a charge or not for it though.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts