GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdie friends, My Control panel says front R tire low, but it's the front r rear tire. I reconfigured the tires according to the book by to no avail, it still says Front when it's the rear tire (stinking skrew in it!) Obviously I'm bringing it tomorrow to have it fixed but what do I do about this wrong tire reading thing?
I'm enjoying my 07 Acadia, 15 months old now....
Thanks Lee

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I had this feature on a 2005 Impala company car. As I understand the system, the computer is constantly measuring the RPM of each wheel. It does not monitor pressure at all. If the pressure on one is higher/lower, it changes the outside diameter fractionally, and this after a while (it is not immediate) will set off the dash indicator. In the Impala, the indicator had to be reset after the condition was corrected. It did catch several tire failures, especially after a hurricane when there was a lot of junk on the road.

Have you tried to reset the light/message? Your owner's manual should say how to do this.

If that does not fix it, I'm not completely clear on your tires- you say front r tire, which I understand to be the front right or passenger front tire. You then cite the "front r rear" tire. Since the Acadia does not have a dual axle setup, I presume you mean the rear r tire or right rear tire.

I'm also not familiar with reconfiguring the tires- did you swap the right side tires front to rear & vice-versa? If you did this, and the light still indicates the same position (different tire) then you have a sensor or computer issue the dealer will have to fix.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Did you have your tires rotated lately? If so, the dealer should have re-set the tire indicators to the correct areas. These do actualy monitor the air. I aired up one tire today with the electric on to see the change, it was almost better than having a tire guage. If you reset them according to the manual and wait for all the horn sounds it should read each tire in the proper place. I did it once and it took about 5 minutes. Each tire has it's own sensor and is assigned a place, when you move the tires around, the sensor still thinks it is in the old place till you (or the dealer) re-programs them.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Thanks khansen30. I just read the downloaded 2008 owner's manual & see that they do monitor actual PSI. Pretty cool. Since you can fill them using this and get a real time display, there can't be a lag in the system reporting a pressure variation like there was in the Impala.

Sorry I was of no help.

·
Registered
428 Posts
My Acadia did this as well. I got a screw in one of my rear tires after having the tires rotated. It showed the right front low when it was the right rear low. I took it back and had the tire fixed and had them reset the monitors again. It turns out that I had two monitors that werent working right and they had to replace them at the dealership. Go to your dealer and have them check them for you to make sure they are working right.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
If you have reprogrammed the tire location per the manual, and it still says front for rear, definitely take it to the dealer so they can fix it under warranty.

Even with the error of which tire it was, it sure is nice it notified you about the nail before it was too late.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all!
Today I went to the dealer to get the tire fixed. The problem was as a couple of you thought, after the tire rotation they forgot to program the car computer (done by scanning each tire). I had done the tire relearn but that's only for when you add air yourself or after an oil service (most include tire pressure check).
Anyway, a lesson learned we should all keep it in mind to remind whomever rotates your tires, shouldn't have to at the dealership but I guess mine has some careless people.
Lee

·
Registered
104 Posts
lee said:
Thanks to all!
Today I went to the dealer to get the tire fixed. The problem was as a couple of you thought, after the tire rotation they forgot to program the car computer (done by scanning each tire). I had done the tire relearn but that's only for when you add air yourself or after an oil service (most include tire pressure check).
Anyway, a lesson learned we should all keep it in mind to remind whomever rotates your tires, shouldn't have to at the dealership but I guess mine has some careless people.
Lee
Never heard that one before, scanning the tires after tire rotation? I rotated mine myself and went through the manual as it states and it worked as it should.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The only other way I know of to keep the locations correct is to take off each monitor and place it on the new tire in the same location. Very time consuming.

·
Registered
275 Posts
khansen30 said:
The only other way I know of to keep the locations correct is to take off each monitor and place it on the new tire in the same location. Very time consuming.
Um, no. Don't do that. The manual details the method to reset the sensors. If this fails, then a dealership visit is next. Warranty.

·
Registered
164 Posts
khansen30 said:
Just follow the directions in the owners manual after rotating. I've had my tires rotated twice and done the recalibrating myself...it couldn't be easier. :thumb:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Nu2GMC said:
khansen30 said:
Just follow the directions in the owners manual after rotating. I've had my tires rotated twice and done the recalibrating myself...it couldn't be easier. :thumb:
Let me clarify that, I don't think we can do that, it is only something that the dealer can do, and have done on others I know of.

·
Registered
104 Posts
khansen30 said:
Nu2GMC said:
khansen30 said:
Let me clarify that, I don't think we can do that, it is only something that the dealer can do, and have done on others I know of.
The dealer doesn't have to do it. You can buy new wheels/tires and sensors, put them on and go through the instructions in the manual and it will learn the new sensors at that time.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's my understanding from my recent visit to the dealership lthat the recalibration that we can do ourselves is Only for the tire pressure, not the location of the tires.
lee

·
Registered
468 Posts
lee said:
It's my understanding from my recent visit to the dealership lthat the recalibration that we can do ourselves is Only for the tire pressure, not the location of the tires.
lee
That is NOT my understanding but I have not done it yet myself.

·
Registered
730 Posts
The calibration that the owner CAN do is to RELEARN the tire position after every tire rotation. I have done it myself and it is as easy as letting air off the tire.

·
Registered
428 Posts
You can let air out of the tire or add air to the tire.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Did this myself as well after the dealer forgot to reset them for me after the tire rotation. Not a big deal. Some places will charge you to do this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts