GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just getting to like the forum and getting to know my way around. We made the decision to dump the Acadia (at quite a loss) and we are in the process of getting a 2009 Acura MDX Sport. It is smaller, more expensive, and I like the Acadia much better for its size and features. However, the service is the primary reason we are getting rid of the GM. I could not deal with the policy of "maybe" you will get some junk rental if we need your car more than a day. And I could not deal with waiting to have simple parts shipped with oftentimes backordered status. I would have been able to deal with the share of smaller issues and even the large issue of a complete failure of the power steering system if the service had been more responsive.

Thanks for the info I gained on here and good luck to the loyal owners of the Acadia. It is a great car if you can avoid problems or have a different opinion on what a dealership/car company should do when you have your car serviced.

Off to Acura to sign the paperwork...

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Sorry to see you go, 2ACADIA2, but you have to do what's best for you and your family. Sounds like you got a lemon and a bad dealer, and that's a terrible combination. Feel free to stop in anytime and see what's up here. I hope you have better luck with your MDX!

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Ditto what admin said.

The 2009 MDX was one of the vehicles I obtained data for in my sticky about various specs.

It compares to the Acadia as follows:
Acadia (FWD)
Weight: 4722
Engine: V6 3.6L
HP: 288 @ 6300
TQ: 270 @ 3400
Trans: 6 speed automatic

MDX (AWD)
Weight: 4548
Engine: V6 3.7L
HP: 300 @ 6000
Torque: 275 @ 5000
Trans: 5 speed automatic

If you would not mind, I'd appreciate it if you'd drive it for a few months and post here as to the difference in how it drives, and your thoughts on the 5 speed vs. the 6 speed transmission. Admittedly, not apples to apples since you had a 2007 w/ less HP/TQ and the specs are FWD vs. AWD, but I'd still like to get your impressions.

Thanks- we enjoyed having you as an owner/member, feel free to visit anytime.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blue... so far 1000K and the differences are measurable. The MDX is more responsive, seems a lot quicker and more "car like" than the Acadia. I have the Sport/ENT so it has a variable suspension, even in the comfort mode the suspension is stiffer than the Acadia and it has a more aggressive handling. Albiet the Acadia seemed more Truck Like and gave the impression that is was larger and could handle more ie Towing, hauling, loading with stuff. Whether it actually is better than the MDX is left to the numbers. The Acura seems a bit smaller. The Acadia had more features, ie heated winshield washer fluid.

On the transmission - the MDX is fast off the line, fast passing, fast getting on the highway. It is fast, and I give most of the quickness to the tranny. The Acadia seemed to cruise well (even with complaints about hunting for a gear) but it just wasn't quick to do anything. I the MDX is also very smooth. NO jerking if you really push it from gear to gear.

Finally, the Acadia was bigger, I liked the features better and it was easier to use on the inside, I thought the styling was a bit nicer on the Acadia as well. But we got the Acura for it's reliability, service and handling. The service is amazing.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
956 Posts
2ACADIA2 said:
Blue... so far 1000K and the differences are measurable. The MDX is more responsive, seems a lot quicker and more "car like" than the Acadia. I have the Sport/ENT so it has a variable suspension, even in the comfort mode the suspension is stiffer than the Acadia and it has a more aggressive handling. Albiet the Acadia seemed more Truck Like and gave the impression that is was larger and could handle more ie Towing, hauling, loading with stuff. Whether it actually is better than the MDX is left to the numbers. The Acura seems a bit smaller. The Acadia had more features, ie heated winshield washer fluid.

On the transmission - the MDX is fast off the line, fast passing, fast getting on the highway. It is fast, and I give most of the quickness to the tranny. The Acadia seemed to cruise well (even with complaints about hunting for a gear) but it just wasn't quick to do anything. I the MDX is also very smooth. NO jerking if you really push it from gear to gear.

Finally, the Acadia was bigger, I liked the features better and it was easier to use on the inside, I thought the styling was a bit nicer on the Acadia as well. But we got the Acura for it's reliability, service and handling. The service is amazing.

Hope this helps.
I hate losing money but I am so tempted to dump my Acadia also. The engine and trans are a very poor match, many rattles, and now the steering is making noise. It is my wifes car so I don't drive it much, but when I do I really get annoyed with it.

·
Super Moderator
21,964 Posts
2ACADIA2 said:
Blue... so far 1000K and the differences are measurable. ..... The service is amazing.
This sure doesn't sound like someone who is REALLY thrilled about the change. Has he been to the service dept. enough in 1K miles (I hope he hasn't blasted off 1000K (1,000,000 or 106) miles in a month!) to really know the difference in parts availability, etc.? :crazy:

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
speleos said:
This sure doesn't sound like someone who is REALLY thrilled about the change. Has he been to the service dept. enough in 1K miles (I hope he hasn't blasted off 1000K (1,000,000 or 106) miles in a month!) to really know the difference in parts availability, etc.? :crazy:
Can't wait til he sees the cost of maintenance and repairs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice... I'm glad to see that everyone is paying attention to my posts. 1K. I have not been to the service dept for this car however, the Pick-up service at my house and comprable car for the day, if desired, is enough said. I am sure parts and labor are more but hopefully I will need way less of the services. Only time will tell. I lost money, got out of a bad situation and now I (ie. my wife) is happy.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I'm glad you are happy... and more importantly the wife is happy! :)

I'm also glad we have the freedom to pick & choose- it could be (may get) a lot worse! We could all be driving Škodas, and not the cars formerly owned by the shrink on Law & Order!

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
I'm glad you are happy... and more importantly the wife is happy! :)

I'm also glad we have the freedom to pick & choose- it could be (may get) a lot worse! We could all be driving Škodas, and not the cars formerly owned by the shrink on Law & Order!
Or Trabants :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
2ACADIA2 said:
Nice... I'm glad to see that everyone is paying attention to my posts. 1K. I have not been to the service dept for this car however, the Pick-up service at my house and comprable car for the day, if desired, is enough said. I am sure parts and labor are more but hopefully I will need way less of the services. Only time will tell. I lost money, got out of a bad situation and now I (ie. my wife) is happy.
Good luck for sure. Funny how peoples experiences differ. I just ended a 42 month lease on an Acura RL, and absolutely hated the car. Its their high end car, and it broke constantly (electronics, brakes, traction control, interior plastics, terrible tires, flaky computer, non functional all wheel drive and ABS, and the WORST windshield wipers EVER!!!)

I would not buy another one of they paid me to take it. And the dealer totally ripped me off for some out of warranty brake work ($1000 for pads and rotor turning).

But everyone has a bad story about a specific car (airline, hotel, etc fill in the blank).

·
Registered
956 Posts
nanohead said:
Good luck for sure. Funny how peoples experiences differ. I just ended a 42 month lease on an Acura RL, and absolutely hated the car. Its their high end car, and it broke constantly (electronics, brakes, traction control, interior plastics, terrible tires, flaky computer, non functional all wheel drive and ABS, and the WORST windshield wipers EVER!!!)

I would not buy another one of they paid me to take it. And the dealer totally ripped me off for some out of warranty brake work ($1000 for pads and rotor turning).

But everyone has a bad story about a specific car (airline, hotel, etc fill in the blank).
My Acadia has certainly not been a lemon and I really wished I liked it better, but it just isn't a very pleasurable vehicle to drive for me. I have had all trans updates and yet the transmission is so mismatched to the engines power curve that the transmission is almost always in the wrong gear making the vehicle feel sluggish and non responsive to the throttle input.

I have another suv that weighs about the same as the Acadia, it has 30 hp less with a 5 speed auto trans. The shifts are spot on either in the upshifts or downshifts. If I need more power a little pressure on the accelerator will bring an instant downshift. The car is so much more responsive feeling than the Acadia and the gas mileage is about the same or even a little better in town than I get with the Acadia. I think GM did it's customers a real disservice with the Acadia's transmission programming and I doubt it did much with the real world fuel economy, but probably helped with the EPA numbers which even though misleading does help sell cars.

·
Super Moderator
21,964 Posts
2ACADIA2 said:
Your only 'bad' situation appeared to be with the dealer's service dept. I got a warranty loaner that was better than the Acadia (fully-loaded 4-dr. Silverado) when I took 'Hiyo' to the dealer for the trans flash. An Enterprise office was next door and handled all the warranty loan cars. They wouldn't put me in a Cobalt!

You sound just like a customer I had when I wrote service at a Chevy dealer. She came in and the first thing out of her mouth was, "I hate this place - especially the man over there in the blue shirt!" I looked over and all three of the other writers and the service manager were standing there and wearing blue shirts. I just looked at her and said, "yes Ma'am, I understand."
:crazy:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
nanohead said:
...But everyone has a bad story about a specific car (airline, hotel, etc fill in the blank).
I think we need to sticky that post and highlight it in glowing red neon. :)

Did I ever tell you about the time...

big bear craig,
The EPA numbers in my experience are solely for the car makers to show they have jumped through another hoop from the government, or if they didn't so the "man" can stick it to the customer with a gas guzzler tax. It's solely because of garbage regulations like that we have neat ::) things like throttle by wire (another less than desirable Acadia feature) and skip-shift solenoids on manual transmission cars like my Trans Am and Challenger.

speleos,
In keeping with what nanohead said, one time a colleague and I were eating at a local restaurant that featured a "mile high" sandwich. We ate there every day we were in town since we always got good food and good service. We were eating these sandwiches as was another customer at the next table. I didn't see any significant difference between his meal and ours. He was very vocal (loud) in complaining, asking if the meat looked like it was a mile high? He was out of line, but we wrote it off as him having a bad day. I'm certain he never ate there again (didn't bother us :)). As I'm sure you're aware based on your former line of work, you can't please all the people all the time, and some people come in the door with a chip on their shoulder. It's sometimes the method of the complaint that is an issue, or the customer fails to explain why they think the way they do. I know I often assume everyone knows what has happened when I'm talking about something.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts