GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an e-mail I received from corporate GM, many of you may be receiving the same letters:

Dear xxxxxxxx,

You made the right choice when you put your confidence in General Motors, and we appreciate your past support. I want to assure you that we are making our best vehicles ever, and we have exciting plans for the future. But we need your help now. Simply put, we need you to join us to let Congress know that a bridge loan to help U.S. automakers also helps strengthen the U.S. economy and preserve millions of American jobs.

Despite what you may be hearing, we are not asking Congress for a bailout but rather a loan that will be repaid.

The U.S. economy is at a crossroads due to the worldwide credit crisis, and all Americans are feeling the effects of the worst economic downturn in 75 years. Despite our successful efforts to restructure, reduce costs and enhance liquidity, U.S. auto sales rely on access to credit, which is all but frozen through traditional channels.

The consequences of the domestic auto industry collapsing would far exceed the $25 billion loan needed to bridge the current crisis. According to a recent study by the Center for Automotive Research:

• One in 10 American jobs depends on U.S. automakers
• Nearly 3 million jobs are at immediate risk
• U.S. personal income could be reduced by $150 billion
• The tax revenue lost over 3 years would be more than $156 billion

Discussions are now underway in Washington, D.C., concerning loans to support U.S. carmakers. I am asking for your support in this vital effort by contacting your state representatives.

Please take a few minutes to go to www.gmfactsandfiction.com, where we have made it easy for you to contact your U.S. senators and representatives. Just click on the "I'm a Concerned American" link under the "Mobilize Now" section, and enter your name and ZIP code to send a personalized e-mail stating your support for the U.S. automotive industry.

Let me assure you that General Motors has made dramatic improvements over the last 10 years. In fact, we are leading the industry with award-winning vehicles like the Chevrolet Malibu, Cadillac CTS, Buick Enclave, Pontiac G8, GMC Acadia, Chevy Tahoe Hybrid, Saturn AURA and more. We offer 18 models with an EPA estimated 30 MPG highway or better — more than Toyota or Honda. GM has 6 hybrids in market and 3 more by mid-2009. GM has closed the quality gap with the imports, and today we are putting our best quality vehicles on the road.

Please share this information with friends and family using the link on the site.

Thank you for helping keep our economy viable.

Sincerely,

Troy Clarke

This is an email advertisement. If you prefer not to receive any unsolicited marketing emails regarding GM vehicles, click here.

To review the GM Privacy Statement, click here.

For Copyright & Trademark Information, click here.

The marks of General Motors, its divisions, slogans, emblems, vehicle model names, vehicle body designs and other marks appearing in this email are the trademarks and/or service marks of General Motors Corporation, its subsidiaries, affiliates or licensors. ©2008 GM Corp. Buckle up, America!

General Motors Corporation
100 Renaissance Center
482-A00-MAR
Detroit, MI 48265

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Just got it and was going to do the samething you did.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sad state of affairs for the US auto industry. Even though I hope for the best and still have faith in GM to turn things around, I am cutting my losses and trading in my Acadia. The depreciation is already so bad that Edmunds TMV is waaaaay off.

To GM's point of improving quality, I agree but they still have a ways to go. My Acadia have more rattles, misfitting panels and other little issues than any other vehicle I have owned. This is my first GM product and most likely will not be my last, as the Volt is fascinating to me. I will revisit GM products when I get tired of my new Audi A6 in a couple of years. The new Opel sedans are absolutly beautiful, if GM can bring those things over without cutting out too much content and maintain the EU build quality I'll swing back to GM in short order.

All in all I am satisfied with Acadia ownership experience, but I don't feel the car embodies the quality that its price would indicate. Mileage figures on the AWD configuration aside, the car loosened up way too much in just one year of service in terms of steering, door and window seals, and suspension. My Nissans and Subarus never loosened up this much even after three years of service.

One positive aspect has been my GMC dealer's service department, they have been absolutly great. Very courteouse, professional and communication has been great. I am going to miss OnStar, it has been nice knowing that its there even though I don't use it often.

Yes, SAVE GM. We would all be in a world of hurt if GM goes under, plus things are just getting interesting in the product pipeline. Wish I can hang on for another couple of years but from a financial stand point, it doesn't make sense to keep the Acadia, kind of have to take the emotion out of the decision.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Just like with stocks, if you sell (trade in this case) you are locking in your loss at a low point of value. Is the vehicle really that broken or damaged or irritating to where it can't be driven? Trading a year old vehicle is about the worst time (short of driving it off the lot) financially isn't it? You are looking at less than wholesale for what you have vs retail (or perhaps less) for a replacement.

You need to do what you think is best, but financially is this the best thing to do? I'd say the same thing if you were speaking of a Dodge or a Toyota.

On the bright side, you are helping your local dealer stay in business, since they will give and you will accept bottom dollar and they will resell it to another for a huge profit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Blue - Normally I would not trade in a one year old for reasons you have stated. In this case, the residual value and my outstanding financing is so close that I just decided to take the plunge. The way GM is discounting current year models, the 2008 residuals are taking a beating. With a lame duck president and essentially lame-duck legislature for the rest of the year I don't see a life line being tossed out to the auto industry anytime soon. Early 2009, maybe. With the way GM is burning thru cash, I am not holding my breath. If a life line gets tossed out in the nick of time I'll be right there celebrating with everyone else. Recent life events have also negated the need for a vehicle the size and capability of the Acadia. Overall the vehicle is solid and has been a pleasure to drive, most of the time...that tranny thing still bugs the hell out of me. But there are enough little quirks and such and I am becoming more and more annoyed and disappointed.

I am hoping and praying for a life line to GM and others, because I want to see how far GM can take the current resurgence to, not to mention the goodies coming from GM Europe in the next couple of years.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am now driving my 2nd Acadia, the first one was so bad that GM factory rep replaced it with this one. The 2nd one has the same crappy Transmission. It leaked water. (dealer couldnt fix it. I Bent the door to stop the leak) Dash has a rattled since day 1. (It has toilet tissue stuck in dash to stop the rattle) XM radio switches to XM preview. Door pannel cracked. Plastic pannel near the rear hatch fell off. Plastic plug on drivers door keeps falling off. Seat cover is loose. Somtimes the Reminder that lets you know the key is in the ignition works...sometimes it does not. Had to get a Road Force balance to get it to stop bumping. (Dealer couldn't do it. Very expensive) Last time I took it to dealer they kept it for almost a week. Got the Long range remote because regular one worked poorly.(GM sent dealer the wrong part #, when they got the correct part it didnt work , it was installed incorrectly because the installation instructions were wrong) The Onstar hands free calling works maybe 60% of the time.

Just in case you were curious .....my first acadia had the terrible transmission. 5 dead batteries. Hud that failed. Navigation system that would not talk. Lift gate that would open on its own sometimes. Lift gate that would not open at all sometimes. Onstar hands free calling that worked 60% of the time. Dealer said i didnt know how to use onstar/Navigation system so i said show me how. 3 guys from the dealer got in car with me, I had to show them how they worked. Dealer kept saying these are so new we dont know how to work on them yet.

Oh yea...The GM warranty does not work as advertised either. When the first acadia was being towed into the dealer. Factory rep denied me a loaner car. It had to happen 5 times before I got a loaner car. Seemed like every loner car i got had something wrong with it. (Broken seat, heater that didnt work, Air suspension that didn't worked)

I keep reading that you guys think this is a well built car...Both of my Acadia's have been a piece of junk. I say congress should not bail GM out. GM should go broke.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Wow, that is a lot of incredible bad luck. Would it be possible for you to PM the VIN to member Geohawk so we can pull up the service records & see if it has been passed along to an unsuspecting customer?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I too have received a similar Email from GM. I'll only contemplate helping to save GM if they provide me with a reliable vehicle to drive. Like badtranny, I'm on my second Acadia after my first developed a severe transmission fault. Unfortunately the replacement Acadia is worse than the first. I've had three water leaks; problems with the brake pedal, brake fluid and master cylinder; a replacement steering column after the discovery of a defective rivet; continued problems with the hesitant transmission despite numerous software updates; replacement CV boot as grease was leaking all over the front right wheel arch; plastic hooks for the cargo cover that break because they are not strong enough etc etc.

After 14 months and owning two Acadias, I've had more things go wrong with this vehicle than I had with all of my previously owned cars put together (over an 18 year period). That's how bad this is. I would like to see what percentage of GM's overall debt is Warranty related. I have no sympathy whatsoever for the predicament they are in, perhaps if they got their build quality and engineering in order, then they might be in a better position.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Interesting to hear the bad news from some here. I just purchased a Traverse (price was better than Acadia...) and that makes my 6th GM vehicle. Each and every one of them were strong performers, and very high quality. My first one was purchased in 1992, and I've traded up since through all types of cars and trucks. It has been a blast watching the GM quality increase over the past 16 years. More like amazing.

I recieved the e-mail here the same week I started shopping the Traverse. I used it in my negotiation for purchase (i.e. I'll write my Congress person if you guys help me out too... lower the price!) It worked. Just like all auto-makers, nobody can make a vehicle perfect 100% of the time. Already there is a recall on the seat belts for my Traverse. (At least it's not Toyota who doesn't actually issue recalls on defects! example: http://ezinearticles.com/?Toyota-Tundra-Recall:-New-Trucks-Brakes-Break&id=47569 and, has been sued by governments for not doing safety recalls. YUCK!) But, I believe I've got a dealership that works well with me and with GM on getting any "issues" fixed. Which for me has been few over the years. I'm sure my Traverse will not suffer any ill fates either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts